Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mega-Watt power supplies  (Read 18924 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »

This is my last reply. As promised I am posting this after using the Mega-Watt power supply for a few days on my FT-450AT. All I will say here is that it works as advertised. Operates the FT-450 with no receiver hash and makes full current on transmitt with no change in output voltage. In a few weeks I will post a Review of this low priced basic switching power supply. I know it will be to early to tell how reliable the supply is and how long it will last, but I will have it on day and night during this time and will give it a full test and report on it. Just a note it has a 2 year warranty. There is no information on where it is made, but I would assume China.
W0DRC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »

I read all of the comments by everyone else and concluded that nobody read your question! Nobody that posted had any experience with the MegaWatt S-350-12 power supply. I just received one and will post my experience. The MTBF is listed as 234.3K hrs min.      MIL-HDBK-217F (25 )
http://www.meanwell.com/search/s-350/s-350-spec.pdf
Let me know how your power supply performed.
73's
W0DRC  formerly KJ4DRC
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »

Hello W0DRC, I have used this supply for a few weeks now with no problems. It powers my Yaesu FT-450AT perfectly as the base station I use it for. I posted a preliminary review on Eham reviews, if you would like to read it. The supply is very basic (no bells or whistles), but does the job as described. Well made aluminum case and a very quite cooling fan. I will update my review after a few months of operation, but as of now I can recommend this supply for transceiver operation within its power limits.

Regards,
73s
K2OWK
KJ4WS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »

I have used this Power Supply for over 3 Months now on my Beloved Ten-Tec Paragon. I can find NO RF Hashing or problems of any kind with this small jewel. In my case and since the Paragon has no RF Power Foldback I made sure to place a Fast Blow 25 Amp fuse in line with both the Positive and Negative power leads. ( I would do this with any Radio/Power Supply.)
KJ6HYC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »

I agree with you 100%. I also have  purchased a simular power supply that is rated at 13.5V @ 25.8A, 350W. I purchased it on e-baY from a vendor named  modders_cn  for $37.00 delivered to USA. I am running a Yaesu 897D, at 100W radio output I draw 22 Amps @ 13.6VDC, hasn't gotten warm @ 20% duty (transmit) cycle, has a thermally activated cooling fan. Nice supply, Works great! Haven't noticed any RF noise, but haven't used below 40M. It draws only 4 watts at idle, is voltage adjustable, and has current fold back. If you want to find it on e-baY for complete specs, just search for this "13.5V DC 25.8A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply" (without quotes) and look that the vendor is "modders".

Wayne - KJ6HYC

KD4LLA, The duty cycle is for 35 amps. The 100% duty cycle is for 30 amps continuous. The radio draws a maximum of 21 amps on transmitt at full power. This power supply should be loafing at that current. I do not understand the hostile response to a simple question about a power supply I found interesting and purchased for a low price. Low price does not always mean poor quality. I have a Wouxun HT that was a super cheep. I have had it for a while, and is an excellent unit. If we do not try an item that comes out just because it is a low price and does not have a track record, many small companies will not make it and some good equipment will be lost. To me Ham radio is all about experimenting with different types of equipment and having a good time in the process. I have been doing this for more then 50 years. Some of the equipment I have bought is junk and is no longer available. Some is now very high quality and is used by everyone. Remember Amaco, how about Telerex, look at the adds in QST and see how many companies started out with a product was unknown at the time, and is now highly sought after. Like I said in my original post, I was looking for someone who had used this supply. Without an answer at this time. When I get the supply I will test it and use it for my transceiver. Wheather it turns out to be a good unit or a piece of junk I will let this forum know and post a review. That's how we find out what is good and what is bad, but I can not judge a piece of equipment just because it is low priced or high priced for that matter. High priced equipment can be just as bad as low priced equipment. As for a power supply that lasts for 5 years. I would be very happy if this supply lasts 5 years and would feel I got my moneys worth.

There are many transformer power supplies that cost a bundle HP instrument grade voltage and current regulated supplies, but that is not the point. I could buy a Yaesu transformer power supply that is made for this radio for about $200.00, but I choose to try this cheapo just to see how it works.

Why are people getting so upset at this post and question?

73s
K2OWK

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 05:56:55 AM by KJ6HYC » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »

My two cents on another angle....

If you research the Kenwood, Astron and Pyramid power supplies, you will find they are almost identical!  I wouldn't be afraid to say that other brand name supplies use the same design and components.  The regulator board and components are almost identical.  If you compare the prices they are NOT identical.  When you buy big name equipment, you pay much more for the name.

As for Astron being "quality," that's a laugh!  I've been into several and all of the components are borderline rated for the supply ratings.  The failure rate is high if you operate them close to their maximum ratings.

As for the no-name power supply already bought.....I know that feeling.  I need a frequency counter and have been looking at the el-cheapo Chinese counters that are available.  I haven't bought one yet but understand up front that it's trash and the money spent is a gamble.  I try to deal with buyer's remorse before I spend the money.

I wish you good luck with your supply and look forward to reading your review on it.
KI4RWL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »

If you research the Kenwood, Astron and Pyramid power supplies, you will find they are almost identical!  I wouldn't be afraid to say that other brand name supplies use the same design and components.  The regulator board and components are almost identical. 

From the repeater-builder.com website, re:  Astron Power supplies (http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html):

"Astron builds supplies for several manufacturers - for example a Kenwood KPS-12 is based on the Astron RS‑12, the Motorola HPN1007A (photo) is an RS‑10 derivative, and the Motorola HPN9041 is an RS‑20 variant.   Astron also builds supplies for Motorola, GE, Icom, E.F. Johnson, Kenwood, Uniden and Vertex."

Back to the original topic, I'm also interested in your results with this power supply.  I'm considering trying one of these myself.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

Hello everyone, I am still using the S-400-12 Mega Watt power supply with absolutely no problems. There are now some reviews on Eham including mine. I would recommend this supply to anyone needing a switching supply with these specs.

K8AXW, I thought I would let you know I purchased a Frequency counter from China via EBay for about $100.00 including shipping.It is a VC-3165. It has a frequency range of (DC couple) 0.01 HZ to 100 MHZ, (AC couple) 100 HZ to 50 MHZ. for channel A. Channel B runs from 50 MHZ to 2.4 GHZ. It has many built in features. It has a short term stability of +-3X10-9 second. Long term stability os +-2X10-8 month. after 20 minute preheat (it has a built in oven for stability). It has an 8 digit readout. I have had this counter for about a year now with no problems. I use it to check my ham equipment for frequency accuracy ever so often. It will even read my cellphone and wireless phones, except for the new 5GHZ phone I just bought. This counter comes with a 1 year guarantee (It would be a pain if you had to return it). It is well made in a plastic case with a flip up front stand. It uses standard BNC type connectors for input and output. I checked this counter with WWV at 10.000000 MHZ and it was dead on after the re comended warm up time. I am mentioning this just to let you know there is some good quality China made equipment. As they say you pay your money and take your chance, so far I have been very lucky with my China purchases.

Regards,
Barry K2OWK   
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »

I find that most power supplies work fine, reguardless of manufacture.  I have several astrons here, all linear type,one at 7 amps,  two at 20 amps on at 50 amps and one at 70 amps, and several 30 and 35 amp switchers, I have some pyrimid, and Icom switchers, and even a couple of MFJ's.

If it has good regulation, and are not noisy rf wise, then  they are fine.  You have the best setup, by having a  powersupply that has more capacity than the radio needs. that way it never works very hard.

thanks for the update.
AE5VG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »

I think there is enough known "junk" out there to give something new a try. I have only read good things about the Mega Watt in regards to being stable, RF filtered, and delivering power to specs. I am not seeing why a for Ham radio made power supply must be hundreds of dollars when you can buy PC power supplies which deliver more for much less. My 1KW modular PC PS (to power two fat Nvidia cards) was just about $200. So why should I pay $300+ for a 400W PS, just because it is perhaps Icom branded - and knowing that it may even have a pretty bad track record? I am looking for two solutions: One which I can connect to a Rigrunner Powerpole distribution panel at my shack and another one which I can pack into my carry-on when I am traveling (usually for business) to power a Yaesu FT-857D. The 350W version of the Mega Watt appears small and weights only about 2 lbs.

After all, the same Chinese companies make powersupplies for many commercial solutions with big brand names. I believe the landscape in China is changing. In the old days, Chinese firms manufactured to specs from Western engineering bureaus and usually under contract. I am observing more companies operating under their own order or even do significant innovative domestic development. The most IP in PS design is in the component design such as PWM controllers anyway. The rest is building a circuit to reference design, maybe tuning it, and choosing the right components according to target market and price point. So why should a Chinese PS be any worse?
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »

Didn't read the entire thread:

Hook a multimeter to the power supply and take readings before hooking up a radio.

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

Hello KB1TXK, I have been using the Mega-Watt power supply for a few months now. Still no problems, works as specified.

KB1TXK what you say is very true. I would never hook up a power supply (even an expensive brand name) without testing it it first. I not only hook up a multimeter, but an ammeter, a load, and an oscilloscope to verify the supplies specifications. I also burn-in a new supply for 24 hours running it at full output to make sure it does not fail and still operates as per specifications, before hooking it up to my $1000+ transceiver.

73s
K2OWK
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 05:25:58 AM »

Hello KB1TXK, I have been using the Mega-Watt power supply for a few months now. Still no problems, works as specified.

KB1TXK what you say is very true. I would never hook up a power supply (even an expensive brand name) without testing it it first. I not only hook up a multimeter, but an ammeter, a load, and an oscilloscope to verify the supplies specifications. I also burn-in a new supply for 24 hours running it at full output to make sure it does not fail and still operates as per specifications, before hooking it up to my $1000+ transceiver.

73s
K2OWK

And today I learned to look at the date of the original post..and not the most recent reply.  Sorry about that Sad

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: