Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: microHam USB 3  (Read 1263 times)
VE3VID

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »

Anyone out there using a microHam USB 3 sound card interface for RTTY with a Kenwood TS-450s or TS-850s?

I've been using a TigerTronics SignaLink USB for about a year.  Got it running on PSK31 in the summer of '09 - no problem.  Then last fall I started tinkering with(AFSK) RTTY - lots of fun.  Played casual in a couple of RTTY contests.   Casual DX operation on RTTY aswell.  So far so good..............

Last summer I installed 2 x INRAD 400hz IF filters into my Kenwood TS-450s.  Here the problems begin.  Because I am running AFSK with the rig in LSB my rig is listening for signals outside the boudaries of the 400hz IF filter.  No problem, the solution was to turn the rig's IF shift off center, and behold the RTTY signal is now inside the receiver's IF passband.

This is all good.  It works, but is a fair bit of fanagling.  I was told recently that the microHAM USB 3 does true FSK, and that I wouldn't have to use the IF shift to get the received RTTY signal inside the IF passband.

How is your microHAM USB 3 working out on RTTY using true RTTY filters?   Any comments would be appreciated..................David  VE3VID
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:00:05 AM »

David - I believe the USB III actually does "pseudo-FSK" (uses the right channel audio to produce a FSK signal) that works with programs like fldigi....I have the original Digi Keyer with my TS-940S which (along with its replacement) does provides a true hardware FSK signal.  Frankly I don't know what difference it makes but to be sure I'd contact Joe who is the U.S. support rep (support@microham-usa.com).  He can answer your question definitively.

Dino KL0S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: