Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first time rover  (Read 570 times)
KC8HZM

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2003, 08:45:24 PM »

Hello all, I have never participated in a contest before and would like to start with this September's VHF QSO contest.  Because I live in an apartment I am going to be operating a rover station.  My equipment is very limited and my main goal is have some fun and not to be a serious competitor.  The idea of being mobile and activating some grids sounds exciting.  

Anyway, I would like to know if you have any words of advice or any mistakes that I should avoid making.

Also what are the "rare" grids in Western Michigan?

I have a Yaesu FT-480R (2m 10 watt) that I realize is prone to front end overload, but I'm hoping that by being in semi remote locations, that won't be a problem.

I'm running the 10 watt output through 25' of LMR-400 coax with 'N' connections to a 1.6 lambda 7 element beam mounted on a mast with a TV rotator.  I'll have the ability to operate while mobile and also raise the mast to about 15 feet while stopped.

I realize that 10 watts isn't much, so I anticipate focusing on CW rather then SSB to get more QSOs.  (And probably the other operator's ability to dig me out)

Is there anything major that I'm missing?  I'd like to add more bands, but that is not an option right now.  (Unless there is anyone in the Kalamazoo, MI area who wants to join me!)

Thanks for any words of wisdom/advice,

Marten
KC8HZM
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 10:54:15 AM »

Welcome to contesting!  While you might receive some decent info here, I suggest you also check out the "VHF Contesting" reflector on www.contesting.com (just look in the left menu area).  You can browse the archives or better yet, subscribe and ask your questions.

GL
Mike N2MG
KC8HZM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 01:17:20 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I'll go check it out!

Marten
KC8HZM
http://www.goshen.edu/~martentb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: