Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: contest etiquette  (Read 748 times)
N3WSH

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2002, 04:33:17 PM »

During a contest, if you choose to have some qsos with ops in the contest, are you then obligated to submit your log? Or, to put it another way, if you have no intention of submitting a log, should you absolutely avoid contact with anyone working a contest? Thanks.
N4SL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 06:14:24 PM »

Hi,

It's perfectly OK to work the contest and not submit a log, no problem, I do it all the time. In one of the CQWW DX contests I fired up the gear, worked ONE guy and then had to stop. I almost submitted my score just to be a wise-guy.

It's also OK to submit a paper log no matter how hard they push you into computer logging (some DX contest stopped accepting paper logs this year due to the anthrax scare but I think that was this year only).

In contests where I'm 'serious', I work a ton of guys on Sunday afternoon who probably get on for 1-2 hours and then stop.

73, Steve N4SL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 02:24:17 PM »

My spin on this:

Having worked on contest scoring committees myself, I am pretty familiar with how they work.  If you make one or two contacts and do not submit a log (which is perfectly legitimate to do!), it is possible that your contacts will be tossed out of the other parties' logs (presuming they do enter) as UNIQUES.  Contest committees who do log checking, a tedious and thankless job at best, use electronic means to check the logs and the programs used highlight UNIQUE calls, meaning calls found in one particular entrant's log but not found in anyone else's.  In some cases, those UNIQUE contacts are arbitrarily deducted because they are considered inaccurately logged, or possibly fictitious.

So, my attitude is: Either get on and make a bunch of contacts (so my call won't show up as UNIQUE), or enter a log, or both -- even if I'm not competing in the contest.  Since in most contests, if you make one contact you can almost as easily make 100, I just go for the "make a bunch of 'em" approach and sleep well knowing I'm not a UNIQUE in anybody's log.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 09:27:33 PM »

Well, you cetainly do not have to submit a log.  However, if you can submit one then you really should.  Most contest the logs are all compared to each other to check for accuracy and cheating.  So, the more logs received the better.  I have submitted logs with only 5 contacts before.  I always submit electronically.  It is easiest for the groups who gather all the information.  I hope this helps. 73, and I hope to cu in upcoming contest.
NY4T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 10:59:20 PM »

I think the trick here is to at least make 3 or 4 Q's if you are not submitting a log.  If you work two people who do submit, voila, you are not a unique.  Also, I try to encourage the non-contesting ops I work to make some more contacts.  I explain what contest it is and how to give the exchange.  I did this once in an NAQP and later heard the guy calling "CQ Contest".  Made my day.  He had been bitten by the bug.  Also, the casual ops you work, while not contesters may be DX'ers.  In a DX test, I let them know that all sorts of rare and semi-rare DX will be operating in the contest.

Lee Hall (NY4T)
TCG
AG4VG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 05:59:58 PM »

Thank you, Lee!  As you know, I'm a contest newbie and there have been several contests I've heard that I had no clue about the exchange - it was way beyond the standard QSO#/RST/QTH, county or ARRL section type of exchange.  So, thanks for taking the time to explain the procedure to somebody who just happened to jump in there.

There have been times when I have been mobile for long periods of time during contest weekends.  I wanted to talk on HF but it was all covered up with the contest.  I needed to snag a few states anyway and thought I'd be kind and give out some qso points to the guys endlessly calling cq.  I guess now I will make sure to send in a log, even if I only made a dozen or so contacts.

Melanie  AG4VG
K1MKF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 10:01:16 AM »

with most contests you can send in just a log of contacts, written on a piece of paper or a print out from your logger, and it will be used as a check log.  Your score won't be computed and published.  But, you call will be listed for check logs and you'll help out with the contest log verification.
W9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2003, 02:19:02 PM »

"Contest etiquette" Now there is an oximoron!

KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 06:18:12 PM »

Since when do they use "etiquette" during a contest?
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 01:00:28 PM »

So another real question here is: "What about he guy who is simply collecting grids, states, countries or zones fit in as far as some poor guy in the contest?" This is something to think about for all the contesters. I don't care for contests but I am not going to stop doing what I like to do just because there is some contest going on. This is a particular problem for those who do the V/UHF contests. I don't want to foul up sombodies log by being unique but I have a right to do my own sort of contest (collecting wall paper). A rag chew is a problem here too because a casual conversation is interupted often. My friends and I really don't mind giving the contacts but we would be "unique" and not counted for the contester. I feel if the call is legit count the points.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: