Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A NEW HAM RADIO AWARD FOR THOSE ON ILINK  (Read 1100 times)
W0ANT

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2002, 10:04:14 PM »

HELLO ALL!

My names Jo WØANT.

I’ve been hamming for almost 20 wonderful years now !

I recently had to move into a neighborhood where I cannot
have any type of communications antenna outside my house...

I was forced to install an attic antenna. It’s a long way from the
8 element monoband 20m yagi I have always wanted.. HIHI..

Shortly after being very unhappy about my antenna restrictions...
I found a software program called (( ILINK ))...

It has enabled me to again talk to hams...JUST !!!
licensed hams...all over the Internet...

So I decided I was going to promote this IDEA!...
With a website I have designed.. just for ILINK!

((( http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/alink )))

Here’s my question... You can tell I am a Ham ...
IT takes for ever to get to a point! LOL

Anyway I wondered what the average ham thinks
of THIS (((ILINK STUFF))) is it a new mode…

Is it a threat or our salvation from the Internet taking away
all our new hams!

REGARDS
JO
WØANT
DES MOINES, IOWA
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/alink

AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2002, 09:33:52 PM »

Well you may not get many responses on this because this is the contesting thread, but I think iLink is ok.  I don't think any contacts on iLink should warrant a QSL card or any kind of award.  And the thought of an iLink contest is rediculous.  But it is good for getting no-code hams or hams with antenna restrictions some DX.  Perhaps new hams will make some DX contacts and want to upgrade so they can get into the HF bands.  

73, Jim
AD6WL
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 09:08:40 PM »

Since I have last posted on this subject I have completed done a 180 on my position.  I have always thought that iLink was a good idea, but now I like the idea of the iLink awards system and QSLing.  It dosn't count for ARRL, CQ, or anyone elses awards but it does count for the ALink awards system. The thought of an iLink contest sounds kind of interesting and should work.  Most clubs have more than one repeater.  They could leave one hooked to iLink and disconnect the others.  Or if they didn't want to participate in the contest they could just take their repeater off line during the contest.

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/alink/info.html

W0ANT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 03:34:17 AM »

Well I would be willing to explore a contest over ilink like a field day of sorts but over ilink.. MAybe it could be less field day and less contest like our other awards and excercises and mre unique and tailored more to ilink and echolink...

regards
Jo

WØANT
node
Des Moines, Iowa
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 05:10:00 PM »

An ILink contest? That really is less than intelligent. Why would or should anyone want to tie up any or all club repeaters for an internet chat room festival? That completely takes away from the intent of repeaters and ties them up for emergency use. I am sure that the same poor "all for me and to _ell with you" attitudes would bleed over into this also. Please ILink has done enough damage to tie up some local repeaters. This is especially true of many linked machines, this making the problem worse.  Just my 2 cents worth.
W0ANT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 09:22:38 PM »

I think n2wec has no idea what he’s talking about!
You are the kind to find a crime in progress and assume everyone standing there is involved.
You are hanging the wrong man!

I am offering for over a year now, an award for persons using echo link who cannot use regular radio equipment but have a ham license.

You Sir and I use it loosely have no idea what your talking about. No one is suggesting we tie up any emergency repeaters or sacrifice your precious time on any other repeater chatting about whatever you talk about with whoever.

I was offering this award system for the hams who would make contacts over echo link, so they could at least stay active , and talk to other hams around the world even though they can't afford equipment  or have a RF stations at the time.

More and more hams are lost to the Internet daily. I really believe that echo link can attract those hams back to our ranks!

I really don’t want to hear anything more about a contest. I merely said I would be interested in looking into something like that!

Your limited vision and sour attitude toward new things makes you an ideal candidate for the old fogies club..
Good Luck and God Bless

Joe Leto

WØANT
DES MOINES, IOWA
W0ANT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 09:22:39 PM »

You are the kind to find a crime in progress and assume everyone standing there is involved.

I am offering for over a year now, an award for persons using echo link who cannot use regular radio equipment but have a ham license.

You Sir and I use it loosely have no idea what your talking about. No one is suggesting we tie up any emergency repeaters or sacrifice your precious time on any other repeater chatting about whatever you talk about with whoever.

I was offering this award system for the hams who would make contacts over echo link, so they could at least stay active , and talk to other hams around the world even though they can't afford equipment  or have a RF stations at the time.

More and more hams are lost to the Internet daily. I really believe that echo link can attract those hams back to our ranks!

I really don’t want to hear anything more about a contest. I merely said I would be interested in looking into something like that!

Your limited vision and sour attitude toward new things makes you an ideal candidate for the old fogies club..
Good Luck and God Bless

Joe Leto

WØANT
DES MOINES, IOWA
W0ANT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 09:22:39 PM »

Good Luck and God Bless

Joe Leto

WØANT
DES MOINES, IOWA
N4GI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 08:23:55 AM »

An award for using the internet?  Hmmm...  Everyone reading reading E-ham should get one.

Is this a new mode?  Maybe.  We could call it E-mail.

QSL via the buro,

Blake N4GI

N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 01:12:24 PM »

TO W0ANT,

I am afraid my poor confused fellow, it is you that has a problem. If you are delusional you should seek help. The idea of an internet contest is redicules. Also yes, it would tie up repeaters. If this is the kind of thing you want to do then it should be on the internet. It is nothing more than a chat room and NOT DX of any kind. It would be in the interest of those who want to use Ilink to open a chat room for it and not tie up radio spectrum with the internet. Or better yet tie it to Packet and see what happens..... Best of luck to you and please enjoy the hobby.

Bill - N2WEC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: