The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe PDE thread  (Read 7270 times)
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »

The sad thing is that after all the bitching and complaining from a vocal minority, forcing one of the partners out, there have been no HRD bug fixes, enhancements or updates released. I suspect that the guy who knew everything about the application and the code behind it was the only programmer. Now he is gone, development is on hold until they can find someone to replace him.

As the saying goes, be careful what you ask for; you may actually get it.
He was not the only developer.  John Henry KI4JDL was working on the application as well, although if I'm not mistaken, as a contractor not an employee.

I do not know if he is still doing so or what his current status is.
KD8M

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »

Hey Nut, please respect the thread this is about the NEW HRD experiences. The one without your buddy and his world-reported inappropriate and unprofessional customer abuse. Ok? Ok.

Anyone who wishes to relate good or bad post disaster HRD experiences in this thread would be welcome.

Chris, thank you for starting this thread and I also am keen to see the results of the Post Disaster Experiences (PDE). 

I also find the constant attention-***ring of the company-can't-do-wrong fan club tiresome, but it does serve for me to look at *anything* those types cheer for with a hugely cynical eye.

Tx Jax
(waiting on a decent call)
WD4ED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »

After not even thinking of HRD in a couple of months I decided to see if there was anything new on the website.  Wow. 6.4 major update! 

Well not so fast.  Installer fails.  Tells me that it doesn't have enough privileges to overwrite the existing files.  Well, maybe I should run as Admin.  Nope.  Investigation shows that somehow all of the files in that HRD install directory have had the SYSTEM level attributes all set to DENY. 

Background: I've had this problem for a while.  I posted this on the site and followed up on it a couple of times.  Never a response.  It's just a weird error.  What's changing this?  I'm running Win 10 and nothing special added on.  Could it be something HRD did?  Again, I had this problem before.  I got around it by manually changing every single file before the installer would complete.  So what is changing them SYSTEM permissions over and over?  This is not happened on any of the other software on this computer.  Only HRD. 

Well, I should let them know right.  I opened a ticket.  It's been a little more than 24 hours and nothing heard since the auto reply to opening a ticket.  I then hacked my way through the install.  So I don't need them any longer.  But I'm keeping the ticket open to see how long it takes and what the response is.

From my perspective absolutely nothing has changed at HRD.  In fact the response is slower.  I used to get a quick insult telling me that I was the problem in the past.  Only to find out that my problem would magically go away when the next update came out. 

Not sure what to do.  I like the software, but it looks as if not much is going to change and that the software doesn't have much of a future with other apps dropping support for it.  I'm sure not going to send them a renewal this year!  The decision is whether or not I stop using the software completely at this point.

It still looks like there was never a serious thought given to a "plan B".  And they still haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks,

Ed
WD4ED
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 05:23:41 AM »

Since so many others do not have the same problem as you, and my installer worked perfectly without issue, then most likely it is something in your system and nothing to do with the software.

Second, if you expect people to immediately respond over the Easter holiday, you are expecting too much.
WD4ED

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »

How do you know I'm the only one?  You a snipe for HRD?  Or just an apologist for bad corporate behavior?

Actually, if you search the forums you will find others saying that they have had problems with the same installer.  So let's say you are right. Even still, since somehow the permissions on just their software keep changing back to SYSTEM, DENY they have no obligation to assist me?  I completely disagree.  They should at least take a serious look at it to ensure there isn't more to the issue or a conflicting application or setting that may affect their end of the business or other customers. 

How do I know this is not some form of continued "black balling"?  It only happens when I attempt to run the installer. 

With the "it's your computer, so We're not helping you!" approach I'm guessing you are not in some form of customer service?  At least I hope not.

Second of all, Easter is not a holiday.  At least not the last time I checked.  Not good Friday, not the following Monday.  Not at all.  So I suppose based on your comments that expecting support on normal business days is too much?  How long should an email response take?  I don't see any announcements on the site saying that there will be any "OFF" days due to this non-holiday. 

Did you miss the part that this has been going on for several upgrades.  I'm thinking close to 5-6 months.  My initial post on the website was just to inform them that there might be some kind of issue.  I was never acknowledged.  Sorry, just trying to help!  After no response for months I revived the thread asking WTF?  No official reply.  Just another user mentioning that there were others with installer issues.  This is when I found out that the Website really truly was "user supported".  The users on the site seldom have the answers the developers do.  And the developers were pushing occasional solutions to the forms off line.  So the forums are really just show.  Very little useful information actually gets shared or archived on the site.  It's just part of the sale.  This continues on the site.

The more I think of this I'm really thinking you are trolling for HRD. We'll see how long a response really takes and it's quality.  I'm not getting my hopes up.  Besides, I already fixed it.

Other than getting rid of the guy they felt was most of the problem and an internet campaign as spin control nothing else has changed.  At least I used to get a fairly quick response to opening a ticket.   Then I was blown off. 

Thanks,

Ed
WD4ED 
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 02:45:30 AM »

Well if you already fixed it then it was not an HRD issue. It must have been something you were doing wrong or something with your system which is what I said. Then you want to argue the point? Unbelievable.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »

How do you know I'm the only one?  You a snipe for HRD?  Or just an apologist for bad corporate behavior?

It's in the call WB8NUT.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:48:56 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
ON3NAD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »

well, i was trying the hrd soft  and did some search on google for problems.
came on the topic about the problems on customer support.

think i will follow this topic first for a while .

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: