Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovery Channel, Everest and 145.150 VHF  (Read 3471 times)
LA1BRA

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »

I like my TV in the back ground when sitting at the computer running PSK etc. I was listening to Discovery on there channel here and was fascinated by the climbers on Mt. Everest. I noted they were using VHF for comm's with the climbers and also noted they were using Amateur frequencies on 145.150, our VHF frequencies. I also did not hear any Amateur call signs, as in 9Nxxx. I wonder why they can communicate without ID's whereas the rest of the world does?Huh
Hmmm???
73 de LA1BRA
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:05:42 AM »

Not saying this was the case, but do you know how many times a picture of ANY radio have been used with a voiceover from just such a program as you describe?  The radio may not have been on that frequency--it may not have even been that radio that was used for the comms.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »

It's possible that they are in a commercial band for Nepal/Tibet.  I don't know what the rules are for licenses over there, but given than 9N is a pretty rare country, I'd guess they don't have many active amateurs.  they could be bootlegging, who would know besides the NSA?  [I've been to EBC, not much RF gets out of that bowl except UP!]

LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »

Yes to your comment on voice overs, always good for a giggle when they show someone talking to the back of a microphone.
However, Discovery had several shots of the expedition leader with mike in hand and a Icom in the back ground. I have seen this show on a few re-runs and some even recent ones with the rig on...it was quite clear what frequency they were transmitting on...145.150 simplex
Saw the other day a news item, some one (commercial interest) is setting up a cell phone tower near the base camps so everyone can twitter/email/telephone/text whatever.
EBC, looks too cold for me even on a sunny day hihi, bet it was a fun trip just the same.
regards from Norway
tom
LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »

FWIW
I received my new copy of QST via the overseas mail bag from office in Houston. Low and behold, there is a picture with a Ham holding a Hamcity.com flag in his hands, courtesy of Icom. Also read an article on most wanted DX locations, seems like a 9N call is on the list as most wanted also. (79 or so on the list)
I am not trying to beat this up, I am glad people have the guts to make the climb on Everest, it just seems odd that with all the regulations there is always something "out of the norm" that gets overlooked, the reason, I guess us mortal non-climbers will never be enlighten too.
anyway, my 15 seconds is done
tom

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 04:04:17 PM »

Or us non Nepal 9N residents may never know what their domestic radio regulations and degree of enforcement are.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »

Or us non Nepal 9N residents may never know what their domestic radio regulations and degree of enforcement are.

Exactly. Who knows what the regulations are over there. Also, regarding enforcement.. I'm guessing the Nepal radio police don't exactly plan on climing up everest to enforce the rules if there are any..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: