Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from a prospective ham  (Read 4473 times)
2E0OZI

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:17 AM »

Hi there,

I have been reading the articles on this site and looking at the forum for a couple of weeks, thought I would join up! I take my foundation licence exam (UK) on Monday night and really its the culmination of a 30 year dream. Ever since I found out about shortwave radio and then a few years later about CB I have wanted to take the ham test, but all sorts of things got in the way; surfing, school, university, then work and motorcycles. Between 1993 and 2000 I lived on an orchard in the Central West of NSW and revived both my CB hobby and my SWL hobby. I had lots of fun listening to hams on the FRG7700, but never really thought to take the test. I enjoyed my 27MHz DXing and SWL too much I suppose, and much time was spent on a motorcycle (it helped I was single!).

Moved to the UK in 2000 and the usual story..work...marriage..family.....

Until I just was struck by a sudden urge to "have a go". I did some research and found a local club who were going to run a Foundation Course so I signed up, and have loved learning about radio these last 8 weeks.

Just have to take test now and get a tranciever. I'm looking at the IC718 because the budget is tight and I like relatively simple interfaces (as I have heard this is). My aerial is planned to be a 20M dipole hanging from the second storey eaves of our house - this is deemed "acceptable" by my wife providing nobody gets the idea I am a ham......(yes we have had "the antenna discussion"  Roll Eyes  ) 

all the best,

Scotty in South Devon.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:22:55 AM »

Where would you prefer to place the antenna?  The eaves might be a pretty noisy choice.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »

Hi K6,

I'd prefer to have a vertical on the apaex of the roof (requires Planning Dept Approval) or at first a dipole in the back garden strung between poles on the 2 wooden sheds we have at each corner. One for 20 metres would fit in there fine.

However both these were vetoed by the wife. As I'm getting a garage for the Moto Guzzi in the next year (and this is something I have wanted for the last 6 years of owning the bike) I think I'm getting my "big thing" in the next little while, so the ham radio has to be income neutral (I have to sell stuff to buy my gear) and Jill definately doesn't want any wires in the back garden.  Roll Eyes

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »

Educate the XYL! I know, it's easy for me - my XYL had her call when we met at the radio club when she was 16 (34 years ago) and she bitches if the antennas aren't up, even though she never has time to operate....
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

Hahah lets just say that will NEVER happen.  Smiley She doesn't like surfing, fell walking, the border bagpipes, bluegrass banjo, being on the back of a motorcycle..the list goes on.

But I love her just the same.  Grin

George Orwell
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:10 AM »

Went to my first "ham fair" today - plenty of stuff I would have liked to buy had I had the £££  - oh well. Instead I came away with 2 egg insulators and the RSGB Rig Guide and "Stealth Antennas" by Steve Nicholls G0KYA (this is BRILLIANT). Had my first real world look at the IC718 and the Alinco DX77 - they both looked like what I need but the Icom looked a bit more robust? As I thought all sorts of weird and wonderful things there - including a HF reciever that was ex-military and weighed 85 pounds, and some lovely old Heathkit recievers....collapsable verticals...

Also spoke to member of the local club who suggested getting a 2m tranceiver so I could join the regular conversations in the week - not a bad idea but I need to save my money....

George Orwell
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »

Passed Foundation Exam tonight! Should have a callsign by the middle of next week..

George Orwell
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »

Passed Foundation Exam tonight! Should have a callsign by the middle of next week..

Congratulations!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

Good old Ofcom -  Angry I can't even register on thier site to apply for a licence. "We will send you a confirmation email in a few minutes..." 8 hours later..... Roll Eyes

George Orwell
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »

Now anticipate a call sign by Monday or Teusday. No rush - I cant get my radio for a couple of weeks anyway.

George Orwell
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »

In 1959, when I was first licensed, a six-to-eight week waiting period was normal.

Patience, Scotty!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 04:17:30 AM »

I can now reveal that I am hence forth to be known as.....

M6OZI

or M6Aussie  Grin

George Orwell
KJ4YDJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

Hi Scotty...or should I say M6OZI !! Congratulations!! Now the fun part begins!! I'm a new ham here in the USA and I really love it!

Jim  KJ4YDJ   Smiley
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »

Congratulations on the call sign.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »

I am sure I will enjoy it Jim - though my wife is completely non-interested in the whole thing, in fact I think she actively dislikes the idea. Oh well. It goes with all the other things I do she doesn't enjoy either!  Grin As long as I spend enough time with her and Amelie things should be OK.

George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: