Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: i dont do as im told  (Read 4001 times)
VK4TJF

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »

i was told by my wife that i would not be able
to learn code, and now i'm up to 30 wpm
i was told that i can't do cw mobile
so i do it anyway. sure when i hit a pot hole
or get cut off i may miss a dit or put in an extra dah
but the message still gets out. it's very fun and exhilerating doing
cw mobile, even some in my club say that i should not be doing it
plus those people that are horrified at people doing anything else in the car but driving
me i don't care i wont do as im told.
K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:17 AM »

Hi James,

Well, first of all, congratulations on making it to 30WPM.  I'm steady in the mid 20's, and can hit higher in contests, but that's only 'cuz I pretty much know what's coming next.  And ironically, I am only 30 minutes north of your former Alabama address...Small world, eh...?!?!

As for doing CW while driving, don't let ANYONE tell you you shouldn't be doing it, ESPECIALLY while you're driving! 

While I certainly can't speak on behalf of my Australian colleagues, I can tell you that in these hard economic times, even the Nursing profession has been hit hard, and any irresponsible act performed in a moving vehicle by the driver that keeps the warm bodies coming through the door, well, I'm all for it!  I have to get up, get dressed and go in, so I might as well be doing something that helps pay the bills...right?

I encourage anyone predisposed to do so to do CW, text, surf the web, apply make-up, read the paper, etc, while driving, but I do ask that you not do it in school zones or residential areas...Afterall, who's gonna bury us if we thin the gene pool prematurely?

So go right on ignoring your friends, family members and club buddies!  Help keep your local EMS squad Paramedics and Trauma Center Nurses working and employed!

(And by the way...you DO carry adequate Accident and Liability, don't you...?!?!)

Thanks!

Steve, K4YZ

An ER Nurse and Former Paramedic

(Submitted with a wry smirk and sarcastic tone...)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 05:53:14 AM »

I work mobile CW everyday. Operation takes place on the interstate where traffic is not dense. With practice it integrates well with driving in light traffic.

It's about as distracting as listening to the AM/FM radio, no more distracting than talking on the cell phone, and certainly much less distracting than texting while driving.

If traffic gets heavy it's easy to stop copying or send AS.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:42:07 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »

As far as I know an AM radio does not require you to have a hand on the knob / key most all of the time.

I can see copying CW while driving, but conducting a QSO?

Anyhow I was just wondering where you put the paddle?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »

My Smart Car has cubby spaces on either side of the steering column. They are little shelves about 8" deep. The keyer paddle fits perfectly into the one to the right of the steering wheel. The FT-857 is to the right of that. So my hand working the key or the rig is never more than 10" from the steering wheel. It's as if the car was designed for mobile CW.

K4YZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:13 PM »

I work mobile CW everyday. Operation takes place on the interstate where traffic is not dense. With practice it integrates well with driving in light traffic.

It's about as distracting as listening to the AM/FM radio, no more distracting than talking on the cell phone, and certainly much less distracting than texting while driving.

If traffic gets heavy it's easy to stop copying or send AS.

And more power to ya, David...

There are folks that drink-and-drive, speed, and otherwise do things with-and-in an automobile they shouldn't every day, and get away with it...For now.  The odds always catch up with you.

I hear it every day..."I've been driving for years and never had an accident doing that before..."

But like I said, don't let anyone tell ya ya can't do it!  You're an American and it's your 'right'...besides, like I said, ER/T Nurses need job security too!

Steve, K4YZ
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »

Well,why stop at just doing it while on safe areas of road?  Become a dx mobile chaser and work stations while driving one of those roads like on " ice road truckers " Driving a black " smart car" would save on casket  cost.  In 34 years of doing accident  photo printing at Highway Safety in Tall. Fl, I think the guy in  that was an Ems and nurse has a point. You can listen to music or radio and  be safe I think , but driving is a visual job really, I mean think about it , if the windows are up , ac or heat on , radio or  whatever on, you are relying on visual. If you have hearing loss, you should check mirrors. OH, I am so impressed by your radio being onely ten inches from your steering wheel, ask a Highway officer, or CDL instructor about perception time, reaction time, and how far a vehical travels in those ten seconds . Do as you wish, just don't let me be on the same road, we have enough idiots down here, this is fla afterall. kg4ymc
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »

One more thing, was it ever in Ripley's  Believe it or Not  ?  Markers, "he didn't do as told" ? KG4YMC
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »

It never fails to amaze me how hams can operate mobile CW.  I drive stickshift, so I'd have to grow an extra hand to send with the key!  God bless automatic transmission!

Some hams say that sending and receiving CW at speed is no different than talking to a passenger or listening to the radio.  I'd like to ride with a ham operating CW mobile to see if this is really true.

Anyway, kudos to those that can do it well and safely!

73, Jordan
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »

It never fails to amaze me how hams can operate mobile CW.  I drive stickshift, so I'd have to grow an extra hand to send with the key!  God bless automatic transmission!

Some hams say that sending and receiving CW at speed is no different than talking to a passenger or listening to the radio.  I'd like to ride with a ham operating CW mobile to see if this is really true.

I haven't done it myself, but I've seen it done. With a stick shift, too. It's simply a matter of coordination and skill.

Anyway, kudos to those that can do it well and safely!

I have to agree with K4YZ. While it can be done, doing it safely is a different issue. Sure, some folks do it with no problems, but safety isn't about 99% of the time when things go right. Safety is about the 1% of the time when things go wrong.

I suppose a case could be made for it in excellent driving conditions - good weather, no traffic, straight road in good condition, etc. Maybe. But in most driving conditions it's a distraction, which is the last thing any driver needs.

btw - ever notice how, when someone is lost or looking for an exit, one of the first things they do is turn down the BC radio? That's because it's a distraction even if they're not listening to it.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:12:59 AM »

btw - ever notice how, when someone is lost or looking for an exit, one of the first things they do is turn down the BC radio? That's because it's a distraction even if they're not listening to it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Excellent point. I find that as I get older I have to restrict mobile operating - even SSB. Monitoring a net frequency (i.e. just listening) is one thing. Adjusting frequency, bands, antennas, filters, etc. is very distracting and takes my attention away from the road. I find that I have to find a place to stop if I want to really "operate" HF from the car.

btw - Nobody had to tell me that. I figured it out all on my own  Roll Eyes

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »

73 de Jim, N2EY

Excellent point. I find that as I get older I have to restrict mobile operating - even SSB. Monitoring a net frequency (i.e. just listening) is one thing. Adjusting frequency, bands, antennas, filters, etc. is very distracting and takes my attention away from the road. I find that I have to find a place to stop if I want to really "operate" HF from the car.

btw - Nobody had to tell me that. I figured it out all on my own  Roll Eyes

The problem is that some folks don't/can't/won't figure it out. They vastly overestimate their skills.

Now, if such overestimation only put the overestimators at risk, I'd say let Darwinism take care of it. The problem is that those folks put you and I and our families and friends at risk. And sometimes the gamble is lost.

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Texting while driving? What could possibly go wrong?"
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »

Here's how to do mobile CW the right way: You're driving while working CW, listening to music on the car radio, the GPS is giving you verbal directions, you're talking on the cell phone, smoking a cigarette, eating a hamburger, and drinking a beer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:51:41 PM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
WA4KCN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »

If I am driving down the road looking for an exit and find myself lost, I actually turn up the volumn on the BC radio. In fact, if the radio is not on, I will actually turn it on and turn the volumn up full blast until I find my way again.

This effectively drowns out my YL as she is hollering at me for getting lost.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »

While I certainly can't speak on behalf of my Australian colleagues, I can tell you that in these hard economic times, even the Nursing profession has been hit hard, and any irresponsible act performed in a moving vehicle by the driver that keeps the warm bodies coming through the door, well, I'm all for it!  I have to get up, get dressed and go in, so I might as well be doing something that helps pay the bills...right?
Thanks! 73
Steve, K4YZ
ER Nurse and Former Paramedic
Well said Steve! Job security is so important these days.

For those who do have an MVA while idiotically distracted, be sure to tell
the attending MD everywhere and anywhere it hurts, so Radiographers like myself
will need to perform as many X-Ray exams and views on you as possible.

73, Ken AD6KA, RT (R)
(Also submitted with a wry smirk and sarcastic tone...)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: