Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have info on possible RFI from radiant floor heating systems?  (Read 1346 times)
VE7NZ

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »

I am planning an electric radiant floor heating system in my house on the floor above my shack.   These are the type that have a long wire (aka resistor!) running under your tile floor to create heat.  Supply voltage will be 240V.

Does anyone have such a system and can let me know if they do or do not get RFI (and which system they have)? 

I am operating 40-10meters mostly plus some UHF/VHF.

Thx.
Adrian.
VE7NZ
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »

When I lived in Idaho (where I got the call) our house had ceiling radiant with a controller per room. No RFI whatsover but that was 12 years ago, things have probably changed. The controllers were simple bimetal thermostats and just switched the units on and off. No fancies electronic controls and no noise.

KF7CG
VE7NZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »

Well, replying to my own post (thanks to KF7CG too).  I installed Thermosoft in floor heating and have zero RFI to HF when it is energized.  I used the 240V system.
They claim to be the only firm that shields and grounds the shield of the wires they use.  They do this for consumer concerns about exposure to magnetic fields, however, whether or not that is a real concern: there is no HF interference.

Now - as for those dimmer switches the contractor installed for the halogen lights!  I have to do some investigation on that next.... 10db/S9 on 20M!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: