Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is QSLing FD participants appropriate?  (Read 1377 times)
KB9DNA

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2003, 10:25:26 AM »

Is it acceptable to respond to a Field Day call if you're not participating in Field Day?  If so, what is the exchange (ie. 5A IL) that one would give?  Furthermore, could you then QSL those FD individuals or clubs for WAS or USA-CA type efforts?  I ask because I just about had my WAS and then moved >50 miles, thus requiring me to start all over.  Since activity will be high during Field Day, I was wondering if I could use contacts with FD stations to jumpstart my next WAS attempt.  The WAS (as an example) rules seem to only care that a 2-way contact took place, but I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding contesting and QSLing.

Thanks,
Jim
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 02:40:42 PM »

Good questions.

1) In almost all contests, non-particpants may - and are encouraged to - work the participants.  Please do jump in and work as many as you can.

2) QSLing contest participants is often a tough call.  The QSOs count for your awards, so that's not the problem. The "problem" is more in getting the stations to respond to your QSL.  I suggest working several guys in each state that you need and sending SASEs with your QSLs.  Make it easier on them - afterall, many contesters work several hundred to a few thousand contacts in a weekend.  That's a huge potential burden (in time as well as money) if they received a lot of QSLs.  Field Day is a different beast as often the call is a club call and not some individual, so it's possible the mechanism for returning QSLs is not as smooth as one would like.

Suggestion: work 'em, send an SASE and hope!

73 Mike N2MG

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 07:58:10 PM »

You can find the required exchange at www.arrl.org.

Simply go through the menus until you get to the field day rules and it will tell you what the exchange is.
W4TYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 05:24:50 PM »

Be selective when you send a QSL to a Field Day operation.

One local club although they have operated Field Day for years does not have any QSL cards printed. Hence a reply is doubtful. Since an entry in Field Day consists of a Dupe Sheet (i.e. calls worked) I doubt that some of the operations keep anything like a complete log.

I would only QSL to the smaller operations.  

You will have better success by QSLing stations worked in the state QSO parties and in the Sweepstakes.

Ole man JEAN
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 05:50:20 PM »

The FD exchange doesn't have a signal report, although it's probably legal for award purposes, this might bamboozle some recipients. Also like previous posters said, FD stations may use "once a year" calls that they don't have cards printed up for.

Me, personally, I would return a card if you included an SASE. maybe even if you did not.

You will have much better luck working stations in contests where a signal report is exchanged. I have had almost a 100% response rate from DX contest stations with US managers, they may be as much as 10% of my country total. I've even gotten a card or two from Sweepstakes.
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2003, 06:45:25 PM »

Jim:

In ANY contest, it's all about "the more the merrier"; so go ahead and jump right on in with both feet. You count as a point for the guy who works you and no self-respecting contester will turn down another point !

As for QSLing for WAS, I gave up on it when I was a Novice in 1978-79. Seems that most of the stations I worked were rotten QSLers ! I probably have WAS sitting around in drawers & boxes of QSLs.

I'll always respond to a QSL accompanied by an SASE; especially, if it's a request for WAS or county.

Good luck !
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 09:21:32 PM »

Unlike some have said I find that a lot of your clubs make up special cards for field day.  Some of by best cards are from field day club cards.  I reply 100%. Personaly if you send a sase I can't believe a ham wouldn't send you backa card of some sort. With the computer generator cards they can be wipped out in about 2 minutes.  
Terry WB4QNG
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 02:17:48 PM »

Some clubs use a special call for FD which may not be used at any other time.  That decreases the likelihood of a QSL.  
No matter what, I submit my logging software files to eQSL.cc and it gets me a few more QSLs (even though ARRL won't accept them, I will).
Good luck es 73 de kt8k - Tim
KB8YJU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 01:15:40 AM »

The last contest I worked using my call (a few years back and an ex-wife ago) I received almost 200 qsl cards all requesting a return (obviously) and most of them (75%?) did not include an SASE. I'm sorry, but there is no way I could afford the time, let alone the money, to respond to every qsl that comes in from a contest. I'll be honest....... the better the note on the back or more intersting the card, the better the chances are that I will respond.
As for regular operating contacts, I try to respond to those 100% if at all possible.
K8NQC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2003, 05:51:41 AM »

Don't expect much of a return on FD QSL card requests. More and more hams are now using eQSL.CC only. They are boycotting any awards that require hard cards. If you want physical cards, several nets such as Ole Miss, county hunters, century club, etc still send cards and have a QSL bureau.

Some stations still buy into the remark that a QSL Card is the final courtesy of a QSO. They have not been around long enough to remember that slogan as a promotional advertisement from a QSL Card seller.

You may QSL anyone you wish but there are tricks to improving the response rate. By the way, several awards programs now accept eQSL for awards.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 07:30:50 PM »

K8NQC,

Was that Brownie up in PA?

BTW, I QSL and don't require an SASE and
generally don't send one.  Heck, I feel if
can afford to be a ham, I can afford the
First Class Postage  :-)

73 de Ronnie
BUCK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 03:38:05 AM »

From the responses I read, Field Day might be a bad contest to look for QSLs.  However, I have heard a fellow on the radio trying to earn his WAS in 7 days.  He called "CQ WAS" and many hams replied.  I don't know if he made it, but I'll bet that 90% of the people that answered his call sent him a card before receiving his.

As mentioned earlier, OMISS (Not affiliated with the college), 3904CC and other nets offer free qsl bureaus as well as a group of awards seekers ready, willing and able to exchange QSLs with you.  I found it to cost only $2.00 to send out 100 QSL cards to the Bureau, plus a few SASEs for the returns.  Much less than the cost of sending out post cards $23.00 for the same batch sent postcard rate.

I am becoming a big fan of 3905CC, the YL System, OMISS and USA-CA for their QSL bureaus.  

Happy Hamming!  Smiley
Buck
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2003, 02:08:24 AM »

Any contact is legitimate for a QSL, as long as the call signs are exchanged and acknowleged.   If you are in a contest, other requirements (such as signal strength, , grid square on VHF, etc.) might have to be exchanged for credit.
    It will really depend upon the other station whether or not they QSL their Field Day contacts.  Some do; some don't.
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 09:11:35 AM »

I have been CCO for large FD sites before.  Every year I did it, sometimes months later, I'd receive a QSL from one or other station.  In all cases the FD exchange was put in the RST box of the card.  I don't know if it's standard, per se, but it makes sense.

Steve
KA2LIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004, 08:33:12 PM »

To answer "your question".
Certainly it's ok.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: