Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stations operating from call areas NOT agreeing wi  (Read 1034 times)
N7DM

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2003, 01:27:30 PM »

I enjoy contests. Domestic ones, at least. I operate Field Day / November S-S / 160  /  and  10 meter  contests. I haven't won anything since the year I ran the November S-S in  QRP  Phone and won my division... Hey! I was the only entrant in class !   I usually just enjoy trying to work all states or sections in a singtle day; my goal.   With the new callsign mess of W7's operating in W4.... a  KL7 in VA... a KH6 in NV... it is well nigh impossible to know WHO you are looking for.  The frustration is great, and I suspect this will be my last year for everything but Field Day. I will not be missed, but the Contesters need some of us for 'fodder'....   I would suggest returning to the   "  / 4 " if you are a KL7 in VA, at least for the contest.  But I know that will happen when there are boot-leggers on CW !!

"DM"
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 03:26:43 PM »

Yeah, it's been this way for a while.  

I used to enjoy the time in my early ham radio "career" when working a domestic contest, and I'd hear a WØ, and I'd hope that it might be that elusive North Dakota station...

Today, well, he could be in SNJ.

It's still fun.

Mike N2MG
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 10:05:22 PM »

Well anyone with internet access, such as the posters here, can look up a call on any of the internet databases and know in moments where the person is.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 11:46:03 PM »

True...but not bloody useful, when you are zooming along as fast as you can scribble calls and exchanges.  For the more 'normal' QSO's... such as the N4.... in WA that I worked on Ten today... (sigh)... yes, I guess I could make up for FCC total lunacy...
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 10:12:41 AM »

The number of people with out of district call signs is actually quite low.  Someone posted a statistic on this a while back.  So it isn't that big a deal.

Also keep in mind that the only call signs available in the sequentially assigned call signs are 2x3s and the 2x2s beginning with A.  Therefore any Tech, General, or Advanced class licensee would be condemned to getting a 2x3 (longer than what many of them now have) unless they went the vanity route.  Those extras with 2x1s and 1x2s would also end up with a longer call sign (2x2 beginning with A).  It will only be a few years before the last of the sequentially available Extra class call signs will also be used up and then even they will have to have 2x3 calls.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart.  I got my call sign when I was living in Ohio in 1992.  Later I moved to Illinois and then South Dakota.  Now I am back in Michigan.  So I would have had four call signs if forced to change, the last 3 of which would have been 2x3s.  When I moved back into the 8 call area, enough time had elapsed that I might not have been able to get my original call back even through the vanity system.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 11:08:21 AM »

Thanks for the time to reply...   Yup. I know what you are saying on all your points. The percentage is probably as low as you quote. The problem is when you are looking for  "MS"... and it seems like all the new Five's on the band are in Idaho ! And my heart goes out to the New Ham that is trying to WAS. Basically hopeless, to do with any methodical approach. As for the  (2) x (3)  call situation, I think that CAN be an issue. I held   W7??? for 23 years. In those years it was common for new guys to have WA7 and WB7 calls. Some of those guys are WAY up there on the DXCC Honor Roll. Their 'awkward' calls didn't seem to really effect their performance.   On my OWN call, I totally agree with you. I have held this call since 1976. It is a proven Pile Buster and I would never surrender it.  That said, I promise you... If I ever move to Florida I  *WILL*  sign   /4   for  CQ's and Initial Answers, and domestic contests.  That simple act would help so much for the operating situations I refer to above.  By the way my W7 call was SO bad that it remains Un-Reissued, after all these years !!!

"dm"
KA2LIM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 12:10:55 PM »

Valid posting. Replys missed it here. Good operating pratice is to sign your call/(what ever district your in) outside of what number is in your call. example: If I am in Maine I sign KA2LIM/1  or I am in Wisconsin I sign KA2LIM/9. Common cense and proper operating procedures should prevail.
Ken
KA2LIM
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 11:30:06 AM »

KA2LIM wrote:
<<Good operating pratice is to sign your call/(what ever district your in) >>

Well, maybe, in some folks' opinion, but there's no law requiring it, and in a contest, usually the shorter the data transmitted the better.

Mike N2MG
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 11:53:20 AM »

Granted...Mike. You're certainly LEGALLY correct. But a contest is sort of a 'fun' thing for a sub-group..'contesters', or those dabbling in it.   It is very hard to find  MS when you have worked all the Five's, and later on you find some W7  is IN  'MS', and you heard him a lot, but never caught that millisecond when he was sending his section!  Further, many entrants in these events use programmed keyers or computers anyway... for them   " / X "  would be nothing... for me...wonderfully helpful !

But, I don't expect a rush to conform to my hopes. I  *do* expect that myself..and several others I have talked with, will just quit doing the events. The big guys anchored on some frequency need us... 'contest fodder'.... maybe one day, before the whole works goes QRT, 'they' will get the idea...

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 04:03:38 PM »

Well, it's certainly your "right" to boycott the contests if you feel so strongly.

Let me say, however, if it really mattered to the contesters, they would use the "/" designator and indicate the actual call area.  I agree that if I needed MS and I heard a W5, I might get a bit excited, but if I heard a W7 that I hadn't worked, I'd still call him - for most contesters, who (try to) work everyone they hear, it's of little consequence what the call area is.

I guess that it DOES matter to those who might tune the band and skip over otherwise workable stations simply because the call area doesn't include a needed state/section.  I don't operate that way.

Mike N2MG
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 04:17:54 PM »

I took the time to check your Stats..on QRZ, Mike, and now I see why you work every station you hear !  Unlike you... a '58 model... I am a '37 model, and I just plain don't have the physical stamina to be a hard-charger, anymore. I sure remember when I did, and wish I could again...but it ain't to be.  In fact, around here, I am the only 'mature' guy that even is on the air, on contest week-ends. That is why I set my personal goals..WAS or Work all Sections... as my target.  I 'can' manage that!

It really isn't that I feel "strongly" as much as without a little 'organization' to aid in my looking for the components of my Goal.. I am sunk.  I know of three other older guys feel the same.  Maybe us four are all there is..but I doubt it...

VY 73
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003, 09:07:34 AM »

Don't get me wrong (and I don't think you are) - I am in no way trying to tell anyone how they should have fun. If you wish to tune mainly for "The Sweep" in Sweepstakes, that's cool. It takes quite an effort - and admittedly is nearly impossible to do when stations cannot be located via their callsign.

Like I said, I used to like the idea that I could keep an extra ear out for a '5' station when I needed MS, but that's no longer the case. Contesting is an evolving creature - computer logging, packet, SO2R, changing demographics (e.g., the current lack of JA stations in the HF-DX contests) have all had profound effects. Contesters necessarily adapt to these as best they can, changing their operating styles, or choosing other contests or, unfortunately, they give up.

So, what I guess I am saying, is that the formerly somewhat-satisfying method of operating whereby one searches for a sweep based on callsign is kinda dead. I suggest that you look for another way of enjoying contests...please don't give up!

73 Mike N2MG
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 11:19:04 AM »

Thanks, Mike..  Good man.. they way a Ham oughta be !

And you're sure right on the 'changing' thing...I've been a Ham longer than anything I have ever been, except a breathing human, and it is tough on the emotions to be so 'left behind'.  But that is Life.

I think the most fun I've had in S/S was several years ago when I operated  SSB / QRP.  I won the Division ! THREE years in a row !  [Of course, I was the only entry, in class...]

Keep swinging at it. From your familiarity with the up-and-coming, you are in the groove..

Happy New Year...

WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 12:49:24 AM »

I agree and disagree. I like contest but never have won anything and with my station never expect too. I do the same thing with each contest I sit up a personal goal weather it be a certain number of contacts or worked all states are something like that and go from there. I agree that I like it a lot better when the calls matched the area's. Made life a lot simpler when you knew what part of the country they were in when they gave their call but still you didn't know their state untill they gave their QSL info. I know what your saying but as fast as the info goes in contest I don't think it takes that much more time to listen for his report to his last contact and if you don't want to work him move on. On the same line of thought I hated it when they started giving calls by the class of license you had instead of you giving you the next one when you passed your test. Unless you moved to another distric and got a new call you knew a 1X3 had been around a long time a WA, WB, WD had not been a ham as long. These "new" calls just don't have any reason to them. That is why I just kept the one they gave me to start with. Besides it would cost me a fortune to change all the stuff I have gotten with my call letters on it over the last 28 years.
Terry
WB4QNG  
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 10:31:56 PM »

Only 15% are in "other" districts. So, it's not an issue.

If W8XYZ sends W8XYZ/9 and makes 1,500 QSOs at 20 WPM, he has wasted 30 minutes sending "/9" 1,500 times! He also gave his location 1,500 times. So sending /9 isn't necessary.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: