Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR Cube Transceiver ?  (Read 20038 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Anyone have  first hand info on the new SDR Cube Transceiver? its website iswww.sdr-cube.com
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »

This is a fantastic development. Finally someone  who actually understands that  building a ham radio transceiver on a PC platform is a stone age concept. 

This SDR Cube  concept is the right one for the future. If Flexradio did the same thing their products would be a runaway success. Unfortunately the flex groupies like riding around on a horse and cart when hamming when they could be speeding around the track on a Ferrari using just such an embedded solution.

An embedded control integrated control system for ham transceiver without  the MS bloat ware and latency will be the final remake  of the SDR concept for hams. This is the first company that has pulled this off. The first company that releases an embedded version of the Flex5000 will be selling  a very popular transceiver.

Lets hope more companies come up with SDR  products like the Cube Transceiver using  high performance embedded hardware. Micro controllers are  cheap readily available these days, there's absolutely no need to use a stone age PC and dinosaur MS bloatware.  The folks behind SDR Cube are certainly smart forward thinking people, they certainly understand that  the vast majority of hams like playing with  knobs. A SDR box with knobs will  have very wide market appeal.

I wish them well, lets hope that they bring out a top of the range transceiver that blows everything away. A  large color screen, 200 watt FET PA and all embedded  hardware in one box will be a big hit. Maybe this company will wake Flexradio up from their drunken PC/Windoz stupor.
WX4O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »

I definitely agree. I'm already very interested and look forward to trying/buying one, and all future models/mods/add-ons.
Fantastic idea and implementation.

John/WX4O
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:23 AM »

If building a ham radio transceiver on a PC platform is a stone age concept then I will happily stay in the stone age!  Because... If moving away from the PC platform means having only an 8 kHz spectrum display, and one single Ham band all for the $725 price of the SDR Cube then NO THANKS!  The dsPIC used in the SDR Cube is so underpowered that it is almost funny.  If you want your knobs and buttons with QRP, why not just buy something like an FT-817 or, if you want to build it from a kit, an Elecraft K2?  You would get a radio with knobs with much better performance than the Softrock based SDR Cube!

As far as basing a SDR on the PC platform - it does not have to be Windows.  Linux or embedded Linux would be a very good choice in you are a Microsoft hater like the earlier poster.

Flexradio gives SDR a bad name because of thier buggy, bloated, PowerSDR software - not because it is based on the PC platform!

KE5JPP
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

Some may think that FlexRadio should have more than a little hatred for Microsoft ?
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »

Google +"sdr cube" +"future of". 224 hits! Looks like a marketing / publicity effort going on here.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »

Yes you got it, I hate obsolete technology. If Flex produced a direct sampling receiver and a transmitter that uses DUC techniques I would buy it. What I wont however buy is latency ridden PC platform thats tied to a boat anchor operating system. When Flexradio produces a radio like the ADAT that  i can plug directly into a ethernet port I will be dancing in the street.  Maybe this radio will have a nice 22 inch touch screen!

Point and click tuning and a nice panadapter can be had in 5 minutes, I dont know why you think it should be tied to a PC platform?
Numerous test instruments  have  the ability to plug in both a mouse and a keyboard. This is fantastic feature to have. What gets me is that you totally ignoring touch screen technology that is becoming very widespread and cheap. You used a IPAD or Iphone lately? Imagine if you bolted a IPAD To a flex box, you would not need a mouse nor a keyboard!

Anyway the Flexradio is a Frankenstein  radio that  uses technology that is is worst example one could use for a man machine interface or a human computer interface. Go pay a visit to  R&S web page or the IZT web page  and look at the R3300 receiver.

http://www.izt-labs.de/izt/en/products/receiver/r3301/izt-r3301.html

This is what Flex radio should be doing, they should not be dragging a PC around thats chained to their ankle like a boat anchor thats going to eventually sink them.

This is a fantastic development. Finally someone  who actually understands that  building a ham radio transceiver on a PC platform is a stone age concept. 

This SDR Cube  concept is the right one for the future.

they certainly understand that  the vast majority of hams like playing with  knobs. A SDR box with knobs will  have very wide market appeal.

Yuck. Your hatred of Flexradio/Microsoft is blinding you.

If that radio is the future I want no part of it. I want my point and click tuning with the mouse. I want a panadapter that is actually useful.

I don't want or need knobs.....

Stan K9IUQ

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »

Yes you got it, I hate obsolete technology. If Flex produced a direct sampling receiver and a transmitter that uses DUC techniques I would buy it. What I wont however buy is latency ridden PC platform thats tied to a boat anchor operating system. When Flexradio produces a radio like the ADAT that  i can plug directly into a ethernet port I will be dancing in the street.  Maybe this radio will have a nice 22 inch touch screen!

Point and click tuning and a nice panadapter can be had in 5 minutes, I dont know why you think it should be tied to a PC platform?
Numerous test instruments  have  the ability to plug in both a mouse and a keyboard. This is fantastic feature to have. What gets me is that you totally ignoring touch screen technology that is becoming very widespread and cheap. You used a IPAD or Iphone lately? Imagine if you bolted a IPAD To a flex box, you would not need a mouse nor a keyboard!

Anyway the Flexradio is a Frankenstein  radio that  uses technology that is is worst example one could use for a man machine interface or a human computer interface. Go pay a visit to  R&S web page or the IZT web page  and look at the R3300 receiver.

This is what Flex radio should be doing, they should not be dragging a PC around thats chained to their ankle like a boat anchor thats going to eventually sink them.

You are giving examples of equipment that cost in the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Are you willing to pay $20,000+ for your next Ham SDR?  The ADAT is also very expensive and has only a rudimentary LCD display.

The other funny thing is that a lot of the IZT equipment you use as an example uses PC based software for processing if you bother to read their literature.

KE5JPP
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:42:29 AM by Gene » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »

... the Softrock based SDR Cube!...

I appreciate your comments about SDR.

If this is true (I am not disputing it) then it seems that the SDR Cube should have as poor dynamic range as the Softrock! That is just nuts.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:59:50 PM »

Anyone have first hand info on the new SDR Cube Transceiver?

So just to be clear...in answer to your question:

Nope! Smiley
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »

Well its not so much a point about what operating system is in the box, its a point about the box not needing a PC.

Its also a point  about properly inter grating a user interface into a box that does not need a PC. What platform that is  well who knows. What is clear is that Windows would be the last choice for an embedded OS. Even Microsoft acknowledges this point. Microsoft  has committed to releasing Windows for ARM which would be perfect for controlling  a SDR box that does not rely on a PC.

The ARM platform using RISC features will make a perfected embedded SDR  box. Its only a matter of time. 

I look forward to the day when I can buy a Flexradio that uses a 22 inch touch screen that does need a PC tied to it for operation. Why is everyone so closed minded? Its the future not about radio contraption that uses clunky bolt together boxes that does everything so poorly.  The current Flexradio concept is so old hat and expensive for what it is, it is certainly not the future.

[/quote]

You are giving examples of equipment that cost in the tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Are you willing to pay $20,000+ for your next Ham SDR?  The ADAT is also very expensive and has only a rudimentary LCD display.

The other funny thing is that a lot of the IZT equipment you use as an example uses PC based software for processing if you bother to read their literature.

KE5JPP
[/quote]
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 05:25:30 AM »

Yes you got it, I hate obsolete technology.

Who gets to decide what is and is not "obsolete"?

If Flex produced a direct sampling receiver and a transmitter that uses DUC techniques I would buy it. What I wont however buy is latency ridden PC platform thats tied to a boat anchor operating system. When Flexradio produces a radio like the ADAT that  i can plug directly into a ethernet port I will be dancing in the street.  Maybe this radio will have a nice 22 inch touch screen!

Numerous test instruments  have  the ability to plug in both a mouse and a keyboard. This is fantastic feature to have. What gets me is that you totally ignoring touch screen technology that is becoming very widespread and cheap. You used a IPAD or Iphone lately? Imagine if you bolted a IPAD To a flex box, you would not need a mouse nor a keyboard!

Anyway the Flexradio is a Frankenstein  radio that  uses technology that is is worst example one could use for a man machine interface or a human computer interface. Go pay a visit to  R&S web page or the IZT web page  and look at the R3300 receiver.

If it's so easy, why aren't YOU doing it? How many amateur radio transceivers have YOU designed, built, and used on the air?

73 de Jim, N2EY
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »

Yes you got it, I hate obsolete technology.

Who gets to decide what is and is not "obsolete"?

If Flex produced a direct sampling receiver and a transmitter that uses DUC techniques I would buy it. What I wont however buy is latency ridden PC platform thats tied to a boat anchor operating system. When Flexradio produces a radio like the ADAT that  i can plug directly into a ethernet port I will be dancing in the street.  Maybe this radio will have a nice 22 inch touch screen!

If it's so easy, why aren't YOU doing it? How many amateur radio transceivers have YOU designed, built, and used on the air?

73 de Jim, N2EY
Its the customer  who gets to decide what is or is not obsolete.
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

Why can't you have both.  You can use PowerSDR at home on Windoze and when you go out to the field you can leave that an home and use the LCD interface on the cube.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »

Why can't you have both.  You can use PowerSDR at home on Windoze and when you go out to the field you can leave that an home and use the LCD interface on the cube.
I agree with you, also flex can do the same with one of its rig's,and in time will most likely do so when its customer demand it.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: