Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Field Day Syndrome -- do you have it?  (Read 1086 times)
KD5CZM

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2003, 08:06:16 PM »

I'm the ARES EC for Kleberg County and my little group had its first Field Day (Class F at our hometown EOC). We operated the full 24 hours but I want to hear from others new and seasoned to Field Day. I got the following symptoms:

Even in the dead quiet of my bedroom a good one and a half miles away from the HF rig, I kept hearing SSB voice in the next room.  It's not so bad in the daytime.

I actually had to readjust to home-cooked meals after a weekend of HeaterMeals and junk food.

I reach for my XYL's hand and it feels strange after gripping the rig's microphone for so long.

And, perhaps the most ominous/promising sign: when can I do this again?

Joe KD5CZM ARES EC Kleberg County, TX
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 11:30:38 AM »

KD5CZM wrote:
<<
Even in the dead quiet of my bedroom a good one and a half miles away from the HF rig, I kept hearing SSB voice in the next room. It's not so bad in the daytime.
>>

Sounds like you did a lot of phone operating...I'm a bit saddened that you don't hear CW!  ;-)

It's a common problem to hear ghost signals long after the headphones come off.  I often detect ghost CW when I hear "white" noise (running water for example) after a long CW contest.  Flushing toilet, drinking fountain, etc.

As for wanting to do it again, you got the "bug"! Now try your hand at "real" contests like the upcoming IARU in July, or the fall classics like Sweepstakes and CQWW.  Check the eHam calendar for dates.

73 Mike N2MG
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 04:55:21 PM »

Hearing SSB and CW afterwards is a common thing amongst contesters and those who spend a lot of time learning or operating CW.  But you should try operating 30 hours of RTTY in one weekend.  You will be hearing the diddles for days.  

But after field day my body only wants me to eat donuts, coffee and hamburgers.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 07:12:21 PM »

After a CW contest, if I participate heavily in it, I hear CW all night long in my sleep.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 01:52:24 PM »

Yep, I've got it, and I look forward to every June.
You can have some fun addressing your symptoms for next year.
- recruit more operators and schedule shifts so your hands don't cramp around the mic, speaking of which,
- get a boom or desk mic and rig a foot switch for PTT
- appoint someone to provide and/or cook food (they can operate between meals)

Make your plans for next year now.  Get the site secured so you won't have to worry at the last minute and will have lots of time to plan your layout.  If you run more than one station, appoint station captains to recruit and organize each one.  Appoint people to make sure you get every bonus possible.  Set up a timeline for contacting the press and potential visitors.  Have a meeting in January to make sure the plans are set and coming together.
Hope to C U on the air next June 26-27. 73 de kt8k - Tim
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 03:07:01 PM »

I definitely heard CW on Sunday after I got home, same as every year. Usually a good full night's sleep takes care of it. As mentioned before, I'll hear CW in just about any background noise.. heheheh.. too much!! See you next year 73's James, KB2FCV
BUCK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 03:20:35 AM »

I have recently started back to working CW.  My speed has built up a bit but I recently discovered that it must be becoming natural.  I threw some laundry into the wash and before I left I stood by the door and tried to "read" what the washer was saying.  

I shut down the rig and took a nap.

Buck
BUCK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 03:22:59 AM »

Also, when I was learning the code for my novice and building it to get my General, I couldn't help getting frustrated over not being able to read the Crickets.

I often hear squeeks and think they are CW signals.  Its hard to escape.

Buck
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 02:46:48 PM »

The funniest example of FD syndrome I can remember happened 7 years ago.  I was the CCO and solo CW op for the site.  It took 3 hours for site tear-down when the event was over.

I was driving home and kept hearing a "0" from somewhere.  At first I thought I was imagining it, enjoying a living memory of the previous 18 hours, or so. Maybe a reverie induced by inadequate sleep.  After the third time it sounded, my wife asked if my keyer had an internal battery--which it didn't.  Her question let me know I wasn't the only one hearing it.

After it happend the 4th time, she noticed it seemed to come from her purse.  After a quick search she found the source.  One of the countless items in "the black hole" was pressing a button on a miniature Simon type game she carried everywhere.  When a player misses a sequence, it sends 5 beeps that sound like 0.

I too try to hear code in strange things, window fans, refrigerators, railroad cars with unevenly worn wheels, etc.  At times, it can be maddening! Cheesy  
N0RTU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 01:43:38 PM »

Man, you guys REALLY have some problems!
CW in fans, truck wheels, a game? C'mon!
If you want a real challenge, try to copy the garbage disposer. now.....there's a real challenge!
After 6 months, I'm at 50% copy!!!

there's nothing wrong with me
there's nothing wrong with me............

73 all
Mike
N0RTU
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 11:22:02 AM »

All of those symptoms are perfectly normal. (I keep telling myself, anyway).

There are also the following symptoms:

- you know the 2 letter abbreviations for all of the states and provinces.

- you know all ARRL sections, quick abbreviations, what district they're in and what is *not* a section ("can't be East Texas - no such section")

- you can compute the score for the group (with bonus points) in your head if someone tells you the QSO totals

- you only need to read this year's rules in order to find out what has changed from last year

- you've never been a Scout or sailor but you know how to tie about a dozen different knots - correctly

- it takes a few days for you to realize that there's nothing amiss if you don't hear the generator roaring in the background

- your view of "the great outdoors" becomes "would this
make a good FD site" and "how do I get permission?"

- you find yourself in detailed discussions/heated arguments over things like how many rigs is optimum and whether they should be assigned by band or mode.

- you know exactly how much gas and oil it takes to run somebody else's generator for 24 hours, but not the MPG of the car you drive every day

- you search various sites and eBay for things like the military surplus "elevator tower" even though you live in a condo (you already own your own slingshot or bow-and-arrow line launcher, of course)

- two words: duck tape

- planning for next year starts on the ride home from the FD site

73 de Jim, N2EY
Grand Poobah, Jug Southgate's Bunch
FD since 1968
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: