Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pyramid PS35G Schematic Needed  (Read 3806 times)
W8GZW

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »

I am in need of a schematic for the Pyramid PS35G power supply and would be willing to pay for a copy. Thanks

Jeff

jpeel1@cinci.rr.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »

I'm not saying you won't find one, but I've been looking for a Pyramid schematic too--and I can't find the one I'm looking for.  I've a feeling that info is not really available.  I was looking to find the voltage level feeding the fan which had gone bad.  I ended up cutting the original fan feed wires and connecting a 12 v computer case fan to the 12v output.  Ended up with better cooling and quieter operation that way.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:25:26 PM by K1CJS » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »

Why didn't you just disconnect the bad fan's leads and use your meter to determine the type and amount of voltage? 

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »

From my experience Pyramid schematics do not exist.

If it is a typical linear supply, it can't be too complicated.

Dick  AD4U
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 04:58:34 AM »

Why didn't you just disconnect the bad fan's leads and use your meter to determine the type and amount of voltage? 

I tried it.  Seems like the circuit went bad and caused the problem--voltage reading was zero.  The fan might have been good, but it didn't work on 12 volts either.  I just sh*t canned the whole thing--circuit and fan.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »

Jeff I sent a PDF scan to you of the Schematic. If anyone else needs this also let me know.

Roland AH6RR
W8GZW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »

Thanks Roland, I very much appreciate the gesture !!

Jeff
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »

Jeff I sent a PDF scan to you of the Schematic. If anyone else needs this also let me know.

Roland AH6RR

I would much appreciate getting a copy if you would e-mail it to me. 

Address is K1CJS@live.com  Thanks!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »

Send the Pyramid power supply schematics to Repeater Builders TIP (RBTIP) ... and it can be available to EVERYONE.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/
Repeater Builders has over 28 thousand files occupying eleven gigabytes (11 GB) of server space.
All of it is FREELY downloadable information, and their servers transfer (i.e. downloads) over 80 Gb per month!
===
The current production power supplies by Pyramid Car Audio (NY) are available on their web site.
Power Supplies - Page 1
http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/items.asp?category=Power+Supplies+/+Inverters
Power Supplies - Page 2
http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/items.asp?category=Power+Supplies+%2F+Inverters&varpagenum=2

1. SELECT the MODEL you have (hyperlink on web pages above)
2. Manual for that Model will be highlighted on left side of product web page.
3. Click on link to Download the Manual.
4. Schematic is found on last page.

Pyramid Car Audio does not have schematics OR provide support/repairs for the earlier (legacy) DC power supplies
imported from Eastern Asia, when Pyramid was known by a different name corporate name (1970s/1980s).
HOWEVER, they use the SAME basic LM723 regulator and NPN pass transistor (2N3055, 2N3771) design that
Astron used for years -- SO repairs for the DIY radio amateur are to follow Astron tips at RBTIP.

Pyramid's shortcomings with these legacy units are:
Using undersized heat sinks [they added fans to current design to address thermal issues];
lighter gauge steel for chassis; minimal uFd and VDC ratings for electrolytic capacitors; low cost unskilled labor --
which is apparent in their 1970s/1980s production units that I have repaired/rebuilt on the bench.

Some units do not have a crow-bar or over voltage protection circuit.

--- IF you have a broken unit, my suggestion is the same as Mike Holmes (HGTV) - REBUILD IT RIGHT ! ---

Repeater Builders - Linear Power Supplies 101 (educational)
Astron is the example. Pyramid traditionally has been the low price / cut-corners offering.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-intro-stuff.html

w9gb
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:52:03 PM by W9GB » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »

The Pyramid power supply that I worked on had the exact same PCB as those used in the Astron power supplies.  The Pyramid is pretty much the same all the way through.  If push comes to shove, try using the Astron schematic to help you get through troubleshooting.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »

I sent a copy to you Chris K1CJS and also to Repeater Builder and to BAMA so I hope everyone can get theirs fixed they are a good power supply.

Roland AH6RR
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

6RR: I'd like a copy of the Pyramid power supply too!  Never know when another one will show up on my doorstep.  You can send it (if you will, that is) to K8AXW@arrl.net or aibling328@yahoo.com.

'ppreciate it.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:30:34 AM »

Received it OK.  Thanks, Roland!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: