Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NYT: Online Complaints Boost Websites in Google?  (Read 1414 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »

"the more customers complain about my company. the higher I rank in Google and the more business I do!"

Incredible story from the New York Times of an online eyewear seller who thrives on awful service, even going as far as threatening disgruntled customers.

“Listen, bitch,” he fumed, according to Ms. Rodriguez. “I know your address. I’m one bridge over” — a reference, it turned out, to the company’s office in Brooklyn. Then, she said, he threatened to find her and commit an act of sexual violence too graphic to describe in a newspaper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/business/28borker.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=business&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1291057292-zdrWLdvCkiDSLm7rmee+Zg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:32:02 PM by Jeff » Logged
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »

It works both ways.

Years ago, I spent the good bit of an hour attempting to explain to a female SWL how she could/should connect her new antenna she purchased from us.  After a while, I knew we were not getting anywhere (she was not radio savvy....) and felt it best to just offer her a refund and return postage both ways.

About 4:55 pm that evening, I get a call from an irate husband with a thick NJ accent.  He accused me of calling his wife stupid and then made cracks about me being a Jew. (I'm not, but that's beside the point....)

He then said he was gonna drive all the way to Michigan to "kick my a--".  I strongly invited him to do just that and requested that he bring any sons along since I have five very athletic young sons who have lettered in collegiate and high school sports and they would love to join in!

He hung up.  I never heard from him again nor did I get the antenna back.

I also recall being in a local Radio Shack that was closing its doors.  The manager was on the phone while some jerk kept interrupting him, asking him questions about various clearance items.  The RS manager finally told him he was being rude, that he was on the phone and as soon as he was off....he'd answer his questions.

The a--hole hauled off and threw a pack of D cells straight at the manager's family jewels!  I mean he TAGGED 'em!  The poor fella buckled in pain. 

There were enough witnesses in the store at the time so the manager was able to get a nice settlement out of it. (He said he was swollen for days, but no permanent damage....)

73, Bill - WA8MEA
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »

update: http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/122010/12092010/592914

"Google says it's changing the way its search function works, dropping down on the "results" page those merchants with horrid customer ratings."

and

"Borker should certainly win this year's Scrooge Award (with Coal and Switches ribbon) for bad Christmas practices. More tangibly, he may get 20 years in prison..."

N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »

Apparently he got a bit too much exposure, finally attracting attention from the Feds, specifically the US Postal Inspection Service...

He was arrested Monday the 6th, and charged with cyber-stalking, the making of interstate threats and both mail and wire fraud.  He'll be a guest of the govt. for a while - bond was denied, the judge saying that the defendant was either “verging on psychotic” or had “an explosive personality.”  The preliminary hearing is scheduled for the 20th; hes facing up to 20 years for each of the more serious charges.

Local authorities got into the act, too - he's charged with aggravated harassment and stalking...

More here:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/40533265

and here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/business/07borker.html

I'd say he's probably lucky that the cops got to him before he PO'ed the wrong person and got a personal visit...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:36:41 PM by Tom Harper » Logged
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Hah, best news I've read this week!

Betcha he doesn't mouth off to his buddies in
prison the way he mouthed off to his customers!
Grin

Ken, AD6KA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: