Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need insight on equipment for my various scenarios, ecomm, etc.  (Read 6944 times)
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »

I have a suspicion the HamCall data is not just from the FCC database. You can Google almost anyone and get DOB and other information if one digs enough. FWIW, I have far more "worry-priorities" that someone finding out my DOB.
[/quote]

You mean like the laptop software that allows a dirtbag to sit next to you on the train, scan your pocket/purse, and pull your credit card information of the card you are carrying???  Yes, that is NOT a good thing!

How about the fact that one can buy gas dispener keys on eBay and install a card skimmer (from Radio Shack) in a dispenser at your local station in leass than 2 minutes.  Not good for sure.

I agree there are bigger worries and folks can grab information.  I just don't like making it any easier than it already is.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »

The fact is, I was told that Motorola, at the government's request, will actually take over all emergency and Ham stations (no proof of that until then I guess).  The goal there is for them to control information and prevent interstate and international communications.  

Thank you for giving me the biggest laugh I have had in months. I was actually buying some of what you have said until this statement and your last post.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:36:08 PM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:18 PM »

Thank you for giving me the biggest laugh I have had in months. I was actually buying some of what you have said until this statement and your last post.
[/quote]

Not sure what was so funny.  As I said in an earlier post, I was only repeating what an extra class ham had told me.  He served many years on the emergency team, as well as for the local nuclear plant alarm team.  I have no idea if what he claimed was accurate and what I know about the topic wouldn't fill a pen cap.

Also not sure about what you mean, my last post.
There was news article about the laptop and it is a valid technology.   I know because in payment technology, we work with RFID.  Obviously, the scam requires that your card have an RFID chip, which is becoming increasingly more popular among banks.  Here is a link, judge for yourself.  http://www.wreg.com/videobeta/?watchId=8ba6f8fc-90a2-4711-90ea-1884ec348310

If you’re commenting on the gas dispenser skimmers, well, you’ll just have to take the word of someone who’s worked in the industry for over 20 years, managed payment systems and credit card fraud.  Or, Google the topic and read the gazillion articles.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:10:08 PM by Mark » Logged
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »

Quote from: JOSEYWALES on Today at 12:58:35 PMThe fact is, I was told that Motorola, at the government's request, will actually take over all emergency and Ham stations (no proof of that until then I guess).  The goal there is for them to control information and prevent interstate and international communications. 
  Grin

Come on, he was either having some fun with you, you misunderstood him
or heard it from some survivalist nut job in a bar. (They're not all nut jobs mind you)
Think about it, it's right up there with "the black helicopters are owned by the NSA,
and fly around monitoring people". And "Highway signs have secret codes on
them so the U. N. Coalition Forces can navigate quickly when they
invade the United States".
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »

Quote from: JOSEYWALES on Today at 12:58:35 PMThe fact is, I was told that Motorola, at the government's request, will actually take over all emergency and Ham stations (no proof of that until then I guess).  The goal there is for them to control information and prevent interstate and international communications. 
  Grin

Come on, he was either having some fun with you, you misunderstood him
or heard it from some survivalist nut job in a bar. (They're not all nut jobs mind you)
Think about it, it's right up there with "the black helicopters are owned by the NSA,
and fly around monitoring people". And "Highway signs have secret codes on
them so the U. N. Coalition Forces can navigate quickly when they
invade the United States".

Well, I'm certainly not trying to propagandize the topic and perhaps I misunderstood him.  In my defense, my feet were near frozen at the time!  I can tell you this, I don't think he was having fun with me.  I get by there from time to time and will ask for clarification, again not that his word is gospel, but he was interesting to talk with. Judging by his equipment and antenna, he was a pretty serious ham at one time and his mind seemed pretty sharp. 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »

Perhaps the person you were talking with has misinterpreted this section of Part 97 (no mention of Motorola here):

§97.407 Radio amateur civil emergency service.
(a) No station may transmit in RACES unless it is an FCC-licensed primary, club, or
military recreation station and it is certified by a civil defense organization as
registered with that organization, or it is an FCC-licensed RACES station. No person
may be the control operator of a RACES station, or may be the control operator of an
amateur station transmitting in RACES unless that person holds a FCC-issued amateur
operator license and is certified by a civil defense organization as enrolled in that
organization.
(b) The frequency bands and segments and emissions authorized to the control operator
are available to stations transmitting communications in RACES on a shared basis with
the amateur service. In the event of an emergency which necessitates invoking the
President's War Emergency Powers under the provisions of section 706 of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. 606, RACES stations and amateur
stations participating in RACES may only transmit on the frequency segments authorized
pursuant to part 214 of this chapter.
(c) A RACES station may only communicate with:
(1) Another RACES station;
(2) An amateur station registered with a civil defense organization;
(3) A United States Government station authorized by the responsible agency to
communicate with RACES stations;
(4) A station in a service regulated by the FCC whenever such communication is
authorized by the FCC.
(d) An amateur station registered with a civil defense organization may only
communicate with:
(1) A RACES station licensed to the civil defense organization with which the
amateur station is registered;
(2) The following stations upon authorization of the responsible civil defense
official for the organization with which the amateur station is registered:
(i) A RACES station licensed to another civil defense organization;
(ii) An amateur station registered with the same or another civil defense
organization;
(iii) A United States Government station authorized by the responsible
agency to communicate with RACES stations; and
(iv) A station in a service regulated by the FCC whenever such
communication is authorized by the FCC.
(e) All communications transmitted in RACES must be specifically authorized by the
civil defense organization for the area served. Only civil defense communications of
the following types may be transmitted:
(1) Messages concerning impending or actual conditions jeopardizing the public
safety, or affecting the national defense or security during periods of local,
regional, or national civil emergencies;
(2) Messages directly concerning the immediate safety of life of individuals, the
immediate protection of property, maintenance of law and order, alleviation of human
suffering and need, and the combating of armed attack or sabotage;
(3) Messages directly concerning the accumulation and dissemination of public
information or instructions to the civilian population essential to the activities of
the civil defense organization or other authorized governmental or relief agencies; and
(4) Communications for RACES training drills and tests necessary to ensure the
establishment and maintenance of orderly and efficient operation of the RACES as
ordered by the responsible civil defense organizations served. Such drills and tests
may not exceed a total time of 1 hour per week. With the approval of the chief officer
for emergency planning the applicable State, Commonwealth, District or territory,
however, such tests and drills may be conducted for a period not to exceed 72 hours no
more than twice in any calendar year.
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 06:17:37 AM »

Thanks KG4RUL.  That's entirely possible.  I guess it could be possible some things have changed over the years since he's been an active ham.  He's in his 80s, but can still name every bone in the body.  A scientist by trade I believe.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 03:04:46 PM »

This is what caught my attention ...

Keeping everything on the QT is paramount.  Now, how do I hide my 18' above ground pool (7,000 gallons of potable water, when treated properly)... 

Hiding a pool? Whatever for?

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »

I think the point was that you can't hide everything you do for emergency preparedness - you maybe can't afford to make the pool closed in to prevent it getting swarmed by unwelcome hordes in case of some epidemic or whatever. That it has an emergency function is sort of camouflaged by it being a pool, but the fact that you have a pool is not so easy to hide.

On that note, remember that this is a public forum and many of us post here under publicly searchable callsigns - if you mean to keep it completely secret - don't post it here.
JOSEYWALES

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »

I think the point was that you can't hide everything you do for emergency preparedness - you maybe can't afford to make the pool closed in to prevent it getting swarmed by unwelcome hordes in case of some epidemic or whatever. That it has an emergency function is sort of camouflaged by it being a pool, but the fact that you have a pool is not so easy to hide.

On that note, remember that this is a public forum and many of us post here under publicly searchable callsigns - if you mean to keep it completely secret - don't post it here.

Yes, I was being funny.  I do believe the pool can be a source of usable water, but was joking about hiding it.  I don't even mind sharing, but sheeple can get scary, hence a defensive strategy in place.

You are also correct.  "Anonymity can be like a warm blanket" a quote from Mission Impossible.   
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »

Sorry I took so long getting back to you.  I somehow overlooked this forum on my run throughs of the forums.

Thanks for the info on the PL and maybe you can elaborate for me.  Thus far, all of my 2 meter radios recieve comm on our local repater.

If you can transmit and the repeater will retransmit your signal without your using the PL tones on your radio, you're all set--for that repeater.  Most of the time, PL is used to access a repeater (transmit to it) and not for the repeater to access your radio.

Are you saying I might be missing out on other repaters?  Is there any way to verify their abilities on reception only?  

Do the same test--try to access the repeater without using PL tones on your radio and see if it retransmits your signal.

So far, all the batteries that came with HTs are charged and working fine.  They really don't make things like they used to!  They still offer battery packs for these units at Batteries America, eBay, etc.  I could always make one with the akaline pack that was included as well.  Most reviews on here guys said they would never get rid of their HTX-202s, so I figured that had to count for something.

Maybe the batteries will take and hold a charge, but for how long?  That is how to determine battery if batteries are good or not--how long they will hold sufficient charge to be useful while being used.

Agreed, GMRS will be our first comm choice.  Fortunately for me though, my wife has been testing on insurance for years and is bored with those tests, looking for something new.  Maybe we'll test for our ham license together and she can remain up to speed.

If you can convince your wife (hamspeak, your XYL--ex young lady) and anyone else in your family to get their ham tickets, go for it.  If they refuse, then FRS or GMRS is a better bet.  Note that while FRS/GMRS may be needed, you'll have to get twice as many radios for the licensed members of your family, just so they can have both Amateur AND FRS/GMRS units--and so have comms with everybody else.  That is why I said that maybe FRS/GMRS would be a better choice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:45:10 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: