Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I goofed, do I QSL?  (Read 1269 times)
KG4WMP

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2003, 04:12:41 PM »

During the IOTA contest I went into the Extra portion of the SSB band and made a QSO with Russia.  I am a General class.  I must have spun the dial the wrong way and got so exited about hearing a Russian station that I did not look at the frequency, somewhere around 14.222 if I remember correctly.  Mistake on my part and I now look where I'm at before hitting PTT.  Ordinarily I use direct entry to punch in 14.225 and then work up.  But now, do I QSL to him or not?  I would love to have that card and he may want mine, but I was where I should not have been.  I had decided not to QSL, what do you guys think?
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 08:00:53 PM »

I admire your admission. I think you have answered your own question. Besides, there are a lot of Russians on the bands, and they all QSL.
BUCK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 03:01:22 AM »

You aren't the first ham to operate out-of band.  When I first got my General, I borrowed an SSB rig and didn't know how to read the analog dial.  The band switch was on one band and I was tuning another.  I became terribly embarrassed when I asked a bunch of hams in a net where they were that they had NNN0... callsigns.  

When you fill out a QSL card, enter the band instead of the exact frequency.  No harm done, you made a mistake, you know it and you are or have made a concious effort to remember not to do it again.  

Now that you tasted the Extra band, GET AN UPGRADE and really enjoy it!  Smiley

Happy Hamming!

Buck
TECH2003

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 09:49:17 PM »

If I were you I would get the card.  QSL Now Worry Later.
N4JNE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 10:29:02 PM »

When you get the QSL card make sure to send a copy to the FCC. If you want to operate outside of your license, then 11 meters would be a great place to be. Or maybe we should invite all the CBer's  to join us on 20 meters.

So are we Hams or CBer's !!!!!!

If you want the QSL from Russia go after it again. This time within your sub-band. You may want to use it for DXCC !

Good Luck on your next DX contact
KG4WMP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 04:45:04 AM »

I admit fault and ask for advice and it seemed like I got bashed.  Why would I intentionally want to operate outside of band?  I didn't have to say anything about it at all.  This site truely is going downhill, fast.  I stuck with my original decision to not QSL.  Thanks for the input.
KG4WMP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 04:47:19 AM »

P.S.
After months of studying I am taking the Extra test on Oct 11th.
KG4ZEB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 06:49:37 PM »

I wouldn't be too upset with this forum.  Opinions vary about rule infractions, accidental or whatever.  Some folks are real sticklers about the rules, as you have seen, while most are more understanding.  The responses seem very typical to me.

In any case I think you made the right decision. So get em next time!
ON4MGY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 02:48:19 PM »

Good luck on your test!!! Hope to catch you once on the air.

73 de ON4MGY Nic
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 08:41:23 PM »

I'd say NO, don't QSL, because it wasn't a "legal" contact, and if the other station sends one, write a note explaining the situation.
    As far as the infraction, you admitted your error and say you will be more careful next time.  At most (these days) is you could get an OO report, but even that is unlikely.  Even in the old days, when the FCC took care of such things, a "Pink Slip" was issued indicating a violation, but in the case of a single offense nothing more would happen other than having to send the FCC a letter saying "OOPS!  Sorry.  It won't happen again.  The  only time you had to worry (rather than being embarrassed to heck or ashamed of your transgression) was if the FCC noted multiple or repeated violations.
    If you check the ARRL site for FCC Notices, there is an occasional letter of Apparent violation issued, but it's for blatant and repeated operation beyond privileges.
    I don't mean to condone operating out of privilege, but if it's an accidental occurence, just make up your mind to be more careful in the future, and let the matter drop.  And by this time, nothing will come of it.  Even though you admitted it, an OO would have to personally witness the violation to even issue a report of out of privilege operation.

Therefore, "My son, go forth and sin no more."  <BIG GRIN>

73, and enjoy Amateur Radio!
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 01:24:26 PM »

Definitely wouldn't QSL in that situation - there are plenty of other Russian stations that frequently operare well above 14.225.

However, that leads to another question about operating near band edges. You say that you punch in 14.225, but do you think it's wise to transmit there? If you send with your VFO smack-dab on 225 a portion of your signal is bound to be emitted below your legal limit -- just as unlawfully as it would be to operate out of the ham bands altogether. While it's true, on USB you can operate a lot closer to the lower band edge, I think it's still good practice to go a few kHz up just to be safe.

What say you all? I know in CQWW-SSB I'll hear at least half a dozen stations transmitting at 14.334.5!

Cheers,
Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 01:27:14 PM »

Sorry...brain hiccup. I meant to say 14.349.5!!

Peter, W2IRT

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KG4WMP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 01:49:42 PM »

UPDATE:
Passed the test on the 11th of Oct then made contacts with Russia, England, and Guernsey Island (??) on the extra portion of 15M that afternoon.  You can only miss 13 to pass, I missed 8, praise God.
Joe
KG4WMP
KG4WMP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 01:58:43 PM »

W2IRT:
I punched in 14.225 as a starting point to scroll up, not to CQ or TX there.  As a matter of fact I have some interference that prevents me from hearing much until 14.230. I would normally roll up to 230 fairly fast.  I understand what you are saying though.  If you TX with your signal centered on the band edge you're bandwith will be out of the band on one side.  That's kinda splitting hairs though, especially at 50-100w.

Joe
KG4WMP
KG4WMP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2003, 01:41:11 AM »

As my post stated above, I would punch in the band edge and then roll away from it, but the whole subject of TXing at the band edge got me wondering, especially with CQWW SSB in 1 day. I did some homework to verify yours and my beliefs.  Common sense would seem to apply.  If you TX at 14.350 your bandwith will go beyond the limit of your license.  Although I never have done that, the info follows for those interested.  

http://www.contesting.com/articles/148

Joe
KG4WMP
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: