Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting it all together  (Read 7238 times)
KK4AXX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »

"The licensing study guides are a fair starting point, but they certainly do not tell you everything, or even a lot, of what you should know.  That 'studying' never ends...
Paul"

True.  I've been studying nightly this week with the latest ARRL Technician Class Guide.  Amazingly, a lot of the Navy electronics training from 1980 has managed to find a decent hide-out in the recesses of my mind and took the opportunity to come up for air.  Another night or two and I'll be ready to ace the exam.  I've taken several of the on-line pre-test using the current question pool & my lowest score has been a 31 of 35 correct.

One thing I've GOT to get squared away soon is the problem with the Heathkit's display.  When scanning the bands, the display doesn't change.  No worries for simply listening, but before I can think of transmitting, it would be nice to know EXACTLY where on the band I'm at!  I have the wire laid out for a Sky Loop antenna.  When my SeaBee daughter comes home we will hang it up at 40 feet above ground.  Oh, my son & I are also teaching each other Morse Code.

Happy New Year to All!

George U. Potter Lodge, #912, F. & A. M. of Alabama
A.A.S.R., S.J. - Valley of Mobile, Orient of Alabama
Dave Langham Chapter, #536, Order of the Eastern Star
Order of DeMolay, Mobile Chapter, Adult Advisory Council
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 07:51:12 PM »

Just as an observation, that old gear will require maintenance. I suspect you're new in this area, too. I encourage you to learn it, I did years ago. However, let's be realistic. You would probably want something to get you on the air fast and cheap with maximum "bang for the buck" and under warranty, and it won't cost a "ton of cash". An FT-857, a new one, covers that perfectly. You have access to HF, 6M, 2M and 70CM, all modes, for less than $800. While you've got your "modern" station going, take your time with the "vintage" stuff, it can be just as fun, and maybe more. After all is said and done, move the '857 to the mobile later.

As for antennas, read this. It will open your eyes about VSWR myths:
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~pa1are/tuner/reflections.pdf

Even if you don't get it the first time around, you will eventually. A lot of antenna myths that are still, ehem, propagated even here on Eham.com are busted big time in "Another Look...".

Then, to continue your journey go to http://www.w8ji.com/ and http://www.k0bg.com . They both contribute here, too and are great guys willing to help.

That's all.
NO6L
KK4AXX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »

An FT-857, a new one, covers that perfectly. You have access to HF, 6M, 2M and 70CM, all modes, for less than $800.

As for antennas, read this. It will open your eyes about VSWR myths:
http://homepages.ipact.nl/~pa1are/tuner/reflections.pdf

Even if you don't get it the first time around, you will eventually. A lot of antenna myths that are still, ehem, propagated even here on Eham.com are busted big time in "Another Look...".

Thanks for the links, especially to the paper, "Another Look..."! 
As for the FT-857, it is one of the items on my "Wish List", however I have not seen one at the price you mention.  Could you send me a link?

Thanks!
Bull*

NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:08:03 AM »

Okay, here is one for HRO, $700 http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007098 .
And another for AES http://www.aesham.com/PDF_cat/pages040-043.pdf (scroll down).
They don't have prices, you'll have to call, and it includes a remote kit. They are typically lower priced, but not always.

These days, avoid used ones, people seem to want around, yes, about $700. And many times it's the older non "D" model.

Got a lond day tomorrow, so have to go.

Hasta...

KK4AXX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »

Okay, here is one for HRO, $700 http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007098 .
And another for AES http://www.aesham.com/PDF_cat/pages040-043.pdf (scroll down).
They don't have prices, you'll have to call, and it includes a remote kit. They are typically lower priced, but not always.

These days, avoid used ones, people seem to want around, yes, about $700. And many times it's the older non "D" model.

Yeah, I tend to be leery of used electronics, especially if I can't get my grubby little ol' hands on them before purchase.  Wink  I checked the links & made some calls.  The price is as you said.  With a little luck...  OK, a lot of luck, I'll have a newer radio before long.  Having a large family, even one acquired through the BBAP - (the Brady Bunch Acquisition Program) - such as mine, can be frustrating.  Add to that being a disabled vet & on a fixed income & you get the picture...  So until the magical day comes - and it WILL come - I'll keep picking at the old stuff.  Who knows?  I may come out with a pair of great radios!

Now I've got to learn more about antenna tuners...

VE5CTM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 05:18:02 AM »

Mark i would email or call a local dealer and ask if they have a lay a way plan or if they would mind you making a few payments until the radio is paid for in full and explain to them on why you are asking
I know i emailed and asked radioworld and they were willing to work with me
the worse thing they could say is no and you might find out that a new radio might be your next birthday gift...Hi Hi!!!
I remember when i first started getting into ham radio and the help i have got from my local club
There is lots of good info here that's been posted for ya

To get your feet wet see if your local club is supporting a contest event (filed day) near the end of June is another way you can get some on air time with the help from the members of your local ham club or if they have a local club station set up an if so maybe you can met someone there when there working the station.

i used filed day as a exambull there are lots of contest but filed day is by far the most sported contest that's ham radio clubs put on
Clay
VE5CTM
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »

But I repeat, if you do get a new rig that requires less work to put on the air, getting, repairing, maintaining and using vintage gear can be a rewarding past time and sub-hobby of Amateur Radio. Not to mention a great way to learn advanced radio theory on-the-job. I know, been there and got the tee-shirt, and a couple of boo-boos from my earlier years. It can be a real source of pride to be able to hop from a modern rig to one that possibly was assembled before your date of birth and be comfortable inside and outside of both. Nope, nothing like it.

NO6L
KK4AXX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 12:15:52 AM »

I've dropped a few not-so-subtle hints to the Minister of Finance (a.k.a.: Wife) about the radio.  She didn't laugh too hard, so there is hope.  Grin

The Heathkit's problem with the display, actually frequency counter, is repaired.  It was a solder connection that had broken loose.  Darned nice to know what frequency I'm listening to!

You guys just don't know how much I appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: