Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 662 times)
KA8VIT

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2003, 01:23:57 PM »

I was really disappointed by alot of the operators working the Florida QSO Party this past weekend.

They were QRMing many of the Submarines and other stations participating in Submarines-On-The-Air weekend, (which is always the fourth full weekend of April).

This was especially true on 20 meters where the subs were operating on or about 14.234. Moving down the band would have interfered with SSTV ops on 14.230-14.233.

Even after being ask nicely by more than one op to move a few KHz up the band, they continued to call QRZ on top of the boats and QSO already in progress.

I understand we are to share the bands.  Unfortunately, most of them did not.

The post freq for the FQP on 20 meters was 14.260 +/- 35 KHz.

I don't use the term LID lightly...  but...

Bill  KA8VIT
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 10:27:34 PM »

These poor hams suffer from many dibilitating illnesses ranging from alcoholism,dementia,the need for being the center of attention,this is their regular frequency the occupy day in and day out so they think they have squatters rights yielding to no one to just plain terminal dumb-ass.

They suffer the delusion than they are important and no one will occupy thier frequency. You will have to wait these demented poor bastards out and hope they either die and freeing the bands of their vermin or drop their aluminum beer cans behind the high voltage section of thier overdriven amplifiers and hopefully reaching behind to retrieve the can and making the bands once again community property.
Bob
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 09:42:46 AM »

While there's no good excuse for sloppy or rude operating, in my experience, net operations expect far too much elbow room when operating on the bands during a contest.

<<The post freq for the FQP on 20 meters was 14.260 +/- 35 KHz. >>

This is only a suggestion.  If there are more than a few dozen QSOs going on, this window needs to "give".  It does not mandate that no contest QSOs go on beyond the window - nor does it guarantee that there are ONLY contest QSOs occuring within it.

Mike N2MG

KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 09:52:34 AM »

Better yet why don't "owners" (in their own minds) of the frequency take a hard earned break from guarding the obviously unused frequency from inadvertent use take the weekend of and go down to the senior center and help with meals on wheels and deliver food to those unable to care for themselves or a similar philanthropic and rewarding activity and let the contest roll. My god it must be tiring gaurding the frequency day in and day out from unwanted intruders that might happen upon an clear place to operate for a few minutes.

Bob
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 12:46:50 PM »

Hey Bob, in case you havent noticed, this goes on EVERYWHERE in the USA, not just Florida! All too often I have run into the frequency cops who live and die guarding their frequencies in hopes of running anyone off who isnt part of their "clique". Sad that you have this crap on amatuer radio, but this is far from just a "florida" problem, just tune around.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 04:47:26 PM »

I was appointed frequency cop a long time ago. I just want you to know it is a hard job.  When I first started doing it I had to run speakers all through my house so I could always hear the radio in case anyone got on the frequency.  At work I would have to go to my car and check at least once a hour. It has gotten better now through.  I have a squelch knob on my new radio. I have it fixed when the squelch is broken a horn goes off. That way I know when to chase them off the frequency. If I am not at home I have it rig so if the squelch is broken my pager goes off. Then I can run to my car to chase them off. Some nights I don't get very much sleep but that is the price for being a ham.  In almost thrity years we have never used the freqency but it is ready and I am ready if is ever needed.  I also think you are being too hard on people for not moving 5KC up or down the band. A lot of guys have cystal control radios and they have only one cystal. Just kidding a lot of our problems could be solve with just a little frendly coperation. There is enough band space for everyone if we use it right
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 08:36:25 PM »

There's no guarantee that a certain frequency will be clear at amy time, and we all have to live with sharing our bands, and there are often more than one "Contest" or special event going on any particular weekend.  It's  just POSSIBLE the other stations didn't hear anything on the frequency.  QRM happens, and we have to live with it.  (Granted, there ARE operators that will jump on a frequency regardless of it's use.  I believe that's called "intentional interference.")
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 01:28:34 PM »

There is no reason to crowd a net even during a contest. Just my two cents...

Bill - N2WEC
WIRELESS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 02:29:45 PM »

Ever since I can remember, hams have always tried to  "reserve" frequencies.  Although this system may have some benefits when it works, ham radio is still a first come first served activity.  Its a hobby, just that.  Personally, I think the unpredicatability of operation is what makes ham radio interesting.  Listening, moving around, trying to find someone that is not parked somewhere is fun.  The concept of channels or fixed frequencies is a boring one I avoid.
WPE9JRL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 01:42:04 PM »

Take an example from our 160-Meter Band....it is free from the constraints of allocated CW/Phone "subbands".

The 160 Band is very fluid and seems to accomodate contesting because of this.

The elimination and/or reduction of the CW subbands would stop alot of the phone-band crowding like this.

Take a listen at most any given non-contest time on those CW subband freq's and find the immense lack of use.  This is the real root of the problem:  The "sacred" CW subbands forcing our phone frequencies to become bedlam during phone contests.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: