Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking a pile-up  (Read 1066 times)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2003, 07:36:40 PM »

Is there a polite or acceptable way to shutdown a pileup?
    I occasionally work at a club station, and after responding to an occasional CQ, I've found a pileup ensues that gets entire unmanagable.  (Sometimes it seems the pileup could go on for "daze" at a time.)
    After three hours or so of handling calls, what is a reasonable to say, in essence, "I'm hoarse; I'm hungry and need to get lunch, etc." and end the pileup when there are still many operators still trying to make contact?
    I hate to be rude, and just say "going QRT" and disappoint a number of operators.  Is there an acceptable way to end things, or am I just being thin-skinned.  (I know if I were on the other end, I'd just shrug it off, and try again some other time, but some other operators aren't as forgiving.)
    My biggest concern is not to leave a poor image for the club station, but sometimes enough is just too much, and operating any longer just isn't an option.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »

In my opinion the station being piled is doing a service simply providing contacts.  Ops should have thicker skin than to be offended because it is time to close down a pileup.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 11:19:15 AM »

I'm curious what club you are operating from that you get such bottomless pileups...what's the call?  Some guys would kill to run pileups like that.  ;-)

Anyway, it's your pileup - do as you please.  If it's isn't fun anymore, QRT!  If you give the pileup heads-up  - "Guys, I'm going to work 5 more guys (or 5 more minutes)" - they'll just get more unruly.

I would say, "Guys, I'm getting tired now, so I'm going to pull the plug.  I'm sorry I could not work you all - maybe next time.  73 to everyone on frequency."  Then switch the radio off immediately so you don't hear their pleas! (That's what I do to telemarketers - "I'm not interested" <click>)

73 Mike N2MG
K1RDD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 03:10:37 PM »

I've often heard "Guys, I need a break" from a running station during extended pile-ups. The funniest thing is that even after they stop calling CQ (or QRZ Smiley ), some guy who wasn't paying attention will still send his call back for minutes on end.
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 04:24:52 PM »

I once was privileged to operate from a special event station. For most of 2 hours I had quite a pileup going on 10m. It was a lot of fun being on that end of the pileup for a change. My operating time was up at 12 noon, had to go. I finished the last contact, then said something along the lines of, "Well, folks, it's noon here and I have to QRT now. It's been a lot of fun, sorry I couldn't get to all of you. This is AD7DB operating from special event station K7UGA, going QRT now. 73." And that was it. Yep, several people still tried calling but when I shut it down, I did so.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 12:25:04 AM »

Hi,

To answer Mike's question, I operate at W6RO, aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA.  And yes, the pileups CAN get quite extensive, especially on 10 Meters. (My record is 3 1/2 hours...)  But sometimes it's just not possible to continue, so I'll take the advice given here, and just make the announcement that I have to go QRT.  
    I hate to disappoint those that didn't make contact, especially if they have been trying for a while, but I'll probably be back around the same place a week later!  So there will always be another chance.  
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 11:45:55 PM »

I have experienced your quandry while
operating from the Malagasy Republic.
No matter *how long* you are on the air or
*how many* QSO's you give out, people will whine
and complain when you go QRT. So what?
You do not OWE them anything! You are
being a gentleman just being out there and enduring
their general abuse in the pileups anyway.
Do NOT feel guilty! Just by saying "Guy's, I'm
too tired, I'll be back xxxxxx" is more
than fine. I will say one thing, though.
If you are working by numbers, as I do,
make sure you do not quit in the middle.
If you started at 0, go all the way to 9.
If you started at 1, go all the wat to 0.
That's fair. And, yes, it is hilarious
to hear the people not paying attention keep
calling. I had one guy call out of turn,
and I said "Sorry, listening for three's".
He said "You HAVE to work me! I have to go to
work soon." Like you OWE them a QSO.
You owe them nothing except trying to be
the best op you can be. Who can ask for anything more?
KC0LOE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2003, 03:02:42 AM »

Just ran an HF mobile station.  They seem to always grab the mobile before anyone else.  All I run is HF mobile.  I can't have antennas in the apartment.
K2ACX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 05:53:18 PM »

I used to have that problem while running my university club station.  Eventually, after answering those 'for a quick one' calls made me late to a couple classes, I decided enough was enough and "good afternoon to everyone" meant "good afternoon to everyone" PERIOD.  While it's flattering that they're so eager to work you, you're only one person.

The best trick by far, however, was to operate CW.  I can't remember attracting many pileups that way!

Brian K2ACX
PS: I think we've worked before while you were aboard ship...
VE4HQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 03:08:57 PM »

I would like to thank the kind and experienced pile up operators that while "going by the numbers" pause and listen for "VE/s" and "XE" numbers.It is near impossible for a VE4 to compete with a W4 due to propagation and different beam headings .73-Tom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: