Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about having longer duration contests?  (Read 7363 times)
KD6NL

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »

I've enjoyed the year-long, "CQ Marathon", contest that it brought back memories of my novice days, when I entered the "Novice roundup" contest, which lasted 10 days, and where you were allowed so many hours to operate at your convenience.   It's difficult for me and I'm sure others to take a whole weekend away from their other responsibilities. What do you guys think?
Ken
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »

Not for me, thanks. I wish some of the 'tests were shorter as I have a harder time operating an entire contest as I get older.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 03:35:50 PM »

There is the NCCC Sprint ladder series- it is 30 minutes every thursday evening in a series lasting 10 weeks. Your highest 6 (I think, the number has varied) scores from the series make up your final score.

See http://www.ncccsprint.com The next ladder is going to start thursday.

Tor
N4OGW

I've enjoyed the year-long, "CQ Marathon", contest that it brought back memories of my novice days, when I entered the "Novice roundup" contest, which lasted 10 days, and where you were allowed so many hours to operate at your convenience.   It's difficult for me and I'm sure others to take a whole weekend away from their other responsibilities. What do you guys think?
Ken
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »

I think there would is value in having a wide variety of contests.

All that said, I don't think I would have the gumption to get involved in "heavy" contests that last longer than a weekend.

Some sort of lightweight event that lasts longer, maybe.

My favorite event, by far, is the NAQP, and that's only ten of twelve hours, and I don't think I could operate at that level of intensity for much longer.

The "old sweepstakes", of long long ago was a two-week long event!

The sprint ladder is an interesting concept although thursday evenings are a hard time for me to get involved. I know that above I asked for briefer, intense operating activities, but honestly the NA Sprint I sometimes find overly intense. All that respond, call, forced QSY, respond, call, forced QSY, that's pretty involved and my brain and fingers truly have a hard time keeping up :-)

Tim.
N1YE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »

I could really enjoy having a contest or two that span multiple weekends. I work many weekends, so this would increase my chances to get to participate. Winter is the best time as long as the New England ice hasn't brought the antennas down. It is a great way to pass cold, snowy weekends. Summer would be the worst because warm weather is so precious that I hate to waste it sitting in the radio shack.  Because the days are so short, this would mean that these contests would probably have to be down on 160, 80, or 40.  I think it would be fun!

Gene
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

I like the variety of contests available to us.  The only one that I wish was longer would be Field Day sponsored by the ARRL.  I enjoy getting out into the field in the camper.   Making Q's on cw is the icing on the cake.   Most years we have at least one bad storm to ride out.   It is always my favorite event of the year.

Ray
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »

I would like to see contests where the contester has to maintain contact and an actual conversation with the other station for 1 minute to qualify. These contests that are nothing but continuous shout outs of call letters are more annoying than fun to me.  Undecided
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »

Giving it a little more thought, I also would like to see extra points given for low power contacts and non yagi antennas (dipole, vertical and Marconi). It is not much of a challenge to make a lot of contacts using a tower mounted yagi antenna and a 1,500 watt linear. Wink 
N1YE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:08 AM »

There are some contests like that. Some of the FISTS contests are to be social events as well as contests. Longer QSO's are encouraged and sometimes even the FISTS officers will contact you and visit. ARRL Straight Key night is another event where longer QSO's are encouraged and one even gets to vote for his or her most interesting QSO.

I like the way that contests are divided up into classes. If I had millions of dollars and miles of real estate and commercial towers, I am delighted that I could compete in that class and there would be others equipped to  to take me (or us...in the case of a  m/m) on.

But I don't, so I compete with others that have "regular" stations similar to mine. But there is something for nearly everybody. I like your idea about extra points for wire antennas, low power, etc. There is specifically an award on the Stew Perry for stations using a single wire for both transmit and receive and awards for QRP.

Like you, I could really enjoy a week long Field Day, camping in the boonies and running off generators.

Gene
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »

Giving it a little more thought, I also would like to see extra points given for low power contacts and non yagi antennas (dipole, vertical and Marconi). It is not much of a challenge to make a lot of contacts using a tower mounted yagi antenna and a 1,500 watt linear. Wink 

Some contests give more points for low power or qrp but usually they just have different categories so that low power and qrp stations are all grouped together in the results and are given awards etc.

George
K5TR
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »

There are QRP contests and high, low, and QRP categories in the big contests.

I may sometimes complain about them sometimes but realistically the "big guns" are an easy 400-600 QSO's in any of the contests, workable with minimal to average stations. Without them the "big DX contest" activity wouldn't be the same, it'd be a lot less QSO's for us little fish.

On the medium power front, the NAQP is a really fun event with a 100W limit. And there are other events that are more of a level playing field where anyone can feel like a big gun even though they aren't.

Tim.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

I could really enjoy having a contest or two that span multiple weekends.

Until the mid 1970's the ARRL DX contests were two weekends long for each mode.  96 total hours
of operating for each mode. 

George
K5TR
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »

Giving it a little more thought, I also would like to see extra points given for low power contacts and non yagi antennas (dipole, vertical and Marconi).
This problem is usually solved by having separate categories.  The WPX contests have a "tri-bander and wires" category. How it's enforced, I don't know. Wink

It is not much of a challenge to make a lot of contacts using a tower mounted yagi antenna and a 1,500 watt linear. 
It depends on the contact.  For example, working Europe from the northeastern US (usually considered a piece of cake)  during the sunspot minimums on 10M practically DEMANDS a yagi (or stack of them) and a linear. 
Also, making "easy" contacts at 100-300 an hour is actually pretty hard on the operator. But part of the fun.
G6NJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »

Hows about we shorten  contests and restrict the parts of bands they can use i get sick of every time i turn on 20 meters all i hear is contest  contest  it really does become a bit of a joke   we could limit contests to the section between 14.295 and 14.350  now that gets a big thumbs up ..

N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »

I agree, I'd like to see the contest restricted.  It's bad enough now that someone adds contest after contest that are basically nothings, but they are a contest.  Then couple that with the people who won't stay in the courtesy areas some contest suggest.  (Don't most now have courtesy bandplans?) 

Heck, I was in a long converstation on 2M simplex once, mobile to base, about 75 miles apart, and some contest guy came in over top of us suddenly.  When he realized we were there he wanted an ack, which we gave him, but when he realized we weren't constesting, he just continued to CQ repeatedly over and over again on us until we moved down 10kc.  Then there's the clown from a local club that every year tries to contest on 146.52.  Uh, excuse me?  Are you an idiot?  Unfortunately, the answer is YES!

I'd like to see contest that have 'penalties'.  Like field day.  Catch a club doing discourteous or behavior that could be determined as 'bad PR' to ham radio and it's penalty points.  Hey, the clubs all may 'good PR' for things like public officials, passing traffic, etc.  How about 'penalty points'.  I know one local club that would get nailed.  In the past, they had one club officer that would post disparaging signs up at the radio trailer with call signs written on them of hams he didn't like.  The Bozo would then lie about about it if asked, but someone took some pictures.  Love to see a formal penalty assessed for that kind of behavior.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: