Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new guy on cw  (Read 3905 times)
ES1TU

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:36:26 AM »

One small step for mankind, one giant leap for me - ordered my first CW paddle EVER Wink

Being an 'ssb only' op, I couldnt resist anymore watching all those dx stations working on cw.
Many of them being new countries for me.

So I ordered 'Begali Sculpture' yesterday.

Sorry for that spam - but I just HAD to share it with someone Wink
KC9HOZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:21:27 AM »

If you think ordering your first key was exciting, just wait until it arrives!

It's like you're 8 years old on Christmas morning again!

Scott
kc9hoz
KA7PLE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:29 AM »

Congrats on getting the new set of paddles and for getting into CW. It's a great mode.
And I agree with KC9HOZ, when you get to open it for the first time, and when you make your first contact with it. It's like no other feeling in the world.

KA7PLE
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:20:10 AM »

Wow!  Begali Sculpture!  Nice starter key.  They don't come much better than that.

Welcome tp CW!  Hope to work you some day.

Mike AA4N
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:22 AM »

Cool, welcome aboard. I can't wait to work your station, de Tom AB9NZ
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »

Welcome CW world !

I start do morse code about 4 yrs ago. than lost it ,now started over and relearn the code again. i have an old HAM KEY Paddle key it was made back some were back 1970's.

hope to work u soon !

Jackie
N4MJG
WWW.N4MJG.COM

SKCC #7305

NAQCC #5233
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:07:13 PM by Jackie Green » Logged
K4FH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

, when you get to open it for the first time, and when you make your first contact with it. It's like no other feeling in the world.

It reminded me of the first time I did something else...

I was nervous and shaking.  It was quick and only took minutes.  It was all over but the crying.
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:59 AM »

You cried?
N4EES

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »

Well done!  With the Sculpture, you'll be spared having to "graduate" to a better paddle as you become more proficient.
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »

Experiment with different ways to hold the key.  What works for me may not work for you. 

I find that it is best to have the wrist and elbow on the table while sending.  Some operators even hold the key sideways so that the sending arm is perpendicular to the chest.  Also, it might not be a bad idea to put a piece of carpet matting or rubber below the key to keep it stuck in place.

I also wear a hand brace that is intended for typists.  It has a rigid plastic plate over the top of the hand and a beanbag ball in the palm.  The brace keeps the wrist from moving and straining and the beanbag props the hand up so that the fingers rest on the paddles without lifting the hand.  Only the fingers work the paddles.  The other parts of the hand and wrist rest in place.   

See what works for you.  However, it's best to find a way to save your wrists and fingers from wear and strain during contests and DXing.

73, Jordan
ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:55 AM »

Well done!  With the Sculpture, you'll be spared having to "graduate" to a better paddle as you become more proficient.

My logic behind the Sculpture was simple - I'm not rich enough to buy two paddles, cheap one first and the good one later on.
Anyway..the Sculpture arrived yesterday. Trust me - very, very good looking and nice paddle. I have nothing to compare it to, but I really can't imagine any paddle can be better of it.

So I made my first 17 cw qsos on 80m. First qsos were a real struggle, but to my big surprise I "grew" to my Sculpture rather quickly.
My confidence grew with every qso. I felt that cw is a whole new world in our hobby. Now I'm gonna polish my skills on 80m working close by EU stations. In the beginning of next year when higher bands are waking up again I will turn my moxon towards JA and W and call some cq on cw. When you hear me - give me a call Wink
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:59 PM »

Welcome to CW, the true essence of amateur radio.
WD6GLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »

Congradulations  !   CW is REAL ham radio and a pleasure to use !  You got yourself one of the best cw instruments money can buy .    Enjoy ,  and welcome to the world of CW ! 

Bob
N7BDY
N6NUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:12 PM »

Fantastic!  I learned CW this past year and now I'm working at improving my non-contest speed; I hope to earn all of the ARRL CW speed certificates this year.

My first key was a Bencher iambic, and Santa Claus is bringing me a pair of GHD keys, straight and iambic. Like you, I am giddy with anticipation!

73, and enjoy your new key,

Byron N6NUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: