Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590S or IC-756PRO3.  (Read 27603 times)
K8NDS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »

Reading these reports is kind of comical, as a few here have stated "new is not always better".
I have owned several Icom and Kenwood rigs over the years. I recently sold my TS-2000, running the ts-2000 next to my Pro III was no contest, the pro III won by a landslide on receive.
I will say that I had a chance to use the new TS-590S, I talked a friend of mine into buying one and he is a very happy camper. I would say that for the money it is probably the best buy out there right now $ for what you get. As much as I am a Icom fan, I believe that Icom messed up big time when they got a big head and made the outrageous priced rigs like the 7800. They are in deep trouble now as far as I can see. They now have to compete against the TS-590s at a fraction of the price of the 7800. Everyday now I wear twice as many TS-590s as the day before, that should tell Icom they are in trouble. I have a Pro III, if I didn't I would be a TS-590s owner by now. I have had the opportunity to use a 7800 and a Pro III right next to each other and there is definetly not anything worth $6500 more in the 7800. If Kenwood is on target for what I think is happening in their marketing department, watch out Icom!
If kenwood adds a second receiver, a pan adapter (built in), maybe a bit better receive audio, a few other bells and whistles and keeps the price below $4000 they are going to eat Icom alive. As much as I like the TS-590S, I would not buy one due to the lack of the scope, the scope grows on you and I would miss it way too much at this point. The scope saves tons of time and energy when scanning for band to band. I truly believe that Kenwood's marketing did it on purpose to gear up for the next rig which will have it all while selling a ton of TS-590S's in the mean time......Very wise marketing strategy!
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »

Elecraft carved out a niche with the K3. Now Kenwood has moved into this niche with what looks to be a great rig. But what is the TS-590 missing? A dedicated CW speed knob!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

The Sherwood Engineering lab test reports have come out and at this point the TS-590S is the only Japanese rig in the top rankings.  Period.

The others are made by Elecraft, Flex and Ten Tec (all American).

Holy cow, when did this trend start? Cheesy

There's nothing made by Icom, at any price point, in the top six.

Isn't that interesting? Smiley
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »

WIK...

When I look at the list, I see the Yaesu FDdx-5000D at the top.

IK0OZD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:13:09 AM »

Hello friends.
I need a second HF radio for my summer QTH.
I am thinking in a new TS-590S or a used IC-756PRO3.
What do you think is the best choice?
Scoope is not the most important for me.
Receiver performance is most important for me.
Thank's a lot for your help.

ciao Ruben
i have in my shack TS 590 Elecraft  K3 ic7800 and Mark5 in this moment
have 2 separate house and shack
the 590 is in the shack with 7800
and the k3 is on the shack with mark 5

the 590 is superb rx no difference with k3 , the 590  for me is  superior respect the other 7800 and mark 5
the 590 is very great
i have 590 since last 45 day
73's
Tony
IK0OZD

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »

So the TS-590 is not quite a "K3 killer" after all, or is it?

The TS-590 is good but not as good as the K3, according to the Sherwood Engineering numbers. On the bands where it up converts it's not so good. And it does not have a CW speed knob. However, I would like to give the TS-590 a try during a 160 meter CW contest. This is my test of a radio.

$1700 for the TS-590 vs $2400 for a comparably equipped K3. If you have no use for an ATU order a K3 without one and the price comparison is $1700 vs $2100.  

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:34:40 AM by WX7G » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »

That might be true in terms of the raw numbers. However in the real world it means nothing.

The K3's ultimate performance can only be realized on CW because the vast majority of hams are producing shocking levels of IMD  on SSB TX, it is basically impossible to use the K3;s potential on SSB.

In most other regards the TS590S is better all round radio than the K3.  Now that the higher bands are opening up I find that my K3 drives me up the wall with all the birdies in the receiver. The moment you turn on the pre-amp the P3 is just full of birdies on all the  higher bands. When I added the second receiver the birdie problem  became much  worst. 

I hope Elecraft is working on a K4 which fixes all these issues with the K3.  The K3 is a  good accomplishment  for their first try at designing the ultimate radio. It is far from ultimate in so many areas. There is no way you could call the K3 the ultimate radio in its current form. It has so many design issues that need addressing that its not funny. There is no doubt that  the K3 excels in producing a receiver with excellent dynamic range numbers. What good is a radio that has good " numbers" when you have so many other things about its design that drives you nuts. I suppose you can make your own choices on whats important to your operating habits and thats what a free market is all about.  However I get tired of people who try and force feed you a particular brand because  their perceptions of what makes a good radio is based on a very narrow set of criteria.

To me the ultimate radio is a design which places equal emphasis on all aspects of its design and that also includes performance on both RX and TX. A Hyundai cant be a Mercedes Benz in this world, we all know this and radios are no different! I have yet to see the ultimate ham radio transceiver. Nope, current 10,000 dollar radios would not be on my shopping list simply because they lack performance, however they sure look appealing!

So the TS-590 is not quite a "K3 killer" after all, or is it?

The TS-590 is good but not as good as the K3, according to the Sherwood Engineering numbers. On the bands where it up converts it's not so good. And it does not have a CW speed knob. However, I would like to give the TS-590 a try during a 160 meter CW contest. This is my test of a radio.

$1700 for the TS-590 vs $2400 for a comparably equipped K3. If you have no use for an ATU order a K3 without one and the price comparison is $1700 vs $2100.  

N0AH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »

The speed knob is there.....you just have to access it by hitting the KEY button that gives you a chance to change the range from like 0-60..........and you can during TX......not sure what people are talking about-
K8JHR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:22 AM »

Hey... I thought the thread was asking about the Kenwood TS-590s vs Icom 756 ProIII  Huh

Should one conclude that, because no one is talking about Icom rigs any more, and the talk is all about comparing the 590 with the K3, that it is "game over" for Icom?

Seems to me the answer to the original question,  590s v.  ProIII -- is solidly in favor of the 590s.

Jut MY take... you guys have a pleasant and safe Xmas and New Year !

// K8JHR  //
N9MXI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »

Regarding the up-conversion performance previously mentioned...

As of firmware rev 1.06 for the TS-590s, Kenwood has improved up-conversion.  Specifically, Kenwood says "Improves desensing level caused by strong out-of-passband signals on up-conversion bands".  I've not yet upgraded to 1.06, but N2IC reported the following in the TS-590 Yahoo! groups forum:

I don't have precise test equipment for measuring the improvement, but here's some observations, using just a signal generator, and my ears for detecting the start of gain reduction (desensing):
    1.05: Desensing begins at S9+10 dB
    1.06: Desensing begins at S9+45 dB
If these numbers are close to accurate, it is a huge improvement for the TS-590Son the upconversion bands.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »

You better check the current eham reviews on the 590, hams are now reporting a major design problem with it.
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »

What design problem?

73, Peter - HB9PJT

You better check the current eham reviews on the 590, hams are now reporting a major design problem with it.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

I don't own a 590, because of the eham reviews, do check them out.
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 11:31:56 AM »

I own a TS-590 and it is a very good rig. No design problem. Still don't know what you mean after looking at eHam.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »

I own a TS-590 and it is a very good rig. No design problem. Still don't know what you mean after looking at eHam.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

Just read the 590 reviews before you buy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: