Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590S or IC-756PRO3.  (Read 27327 times)
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:58 AM »

Just read my posting before you write.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

I own a TS-590 and it is a very good rig. No design problem. Still don't know what you mean after looking at eHam.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

I don't own a 590, because of the eham reviews, do check them out.
Just read the 590 reviews before you buy
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »

Nothing wrong with a 590 as it is a very fine rig and well above a dated 756 pro. I will say this, you have to "learn" how to use a 590 for it to excel and if you are one that wants to just turn it on and do little more  than twisting VFO to use it you should get a simpler, older analog rig. People that might rate a 590 poorly never took time to learn how to use it properly.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »

Are you speaking of the ALC overshoot, or supposed low "talk power," or low output on SSB?  Be specific, don't just throw out one sentence negatives and then go away.  Interestingly, a significant number of those who complain about low peak output of SSB seem to be from Europe, with some from the USA as well.  This makes no sense.  Are all of the negative respondents using average-reading watt meters, and not high-quality peak-reading watt meters such as the Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A, Array Solutions PowerMaster II, Telepost LP-100A, etc.?

Kenwood has been very good at addressing shortcomings in the 590 with firmware upgrades.  I measure a minimum of 100W out with my peak-reading watt meter, and don't use an amp so the ALC overshoot is a moot point for me.  I "have" an amp, but it's on the shelf as I do my best to keep my neighbors happy in this tight residential area.  And, since most of my operating is on CW, I find the 590 a superlative rig.  Do I miss a band scope... yes, but not terribly so, as I no longer have any major interest in DXing or contesting.  Been there, done that many years ago!  I previously had an ICOM IC-7800v2, and I can personally attest the 590 is superior to the 7800 in the on-air receiver dynamics department, and it doesn't create a hernia every time you lift it...  Grin  I do somewhat miss the absolute rock-solid stability of the 7800's OCXO over the 590's TCXO, but then again it's still light-years ahead in stability over my older analog rigs with very decent PTO or VFO designs.  

Don W9CW
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:40:13 AM by W9CW » Logged
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 01:56:22 PM »

Are you speaking of the ALC overshoot, or supposed low "talk power," or low output on SSB?  Be specific, don't just throw out one sentence negatives and then go away.  Interestingly, a significant number of those who complain about low peak output of SSB seem to be from Europe, with some from the USA as well.  This makes no sense.  Are all of the negative respondents using average-reading watt meters, and not high-quality peak-reading watt meters such as the Coaxial Dynamics 83000-A, Array Solutions PowerMaster II, Telepost LP-100A, etc.?

Kenwood has been very good at addressing shortcomings in the 590 with firmware upgrades.  I measure a minimum of 100W out with my peak-reading watt meter, and don't use an amp so the ALC overshoot is a moot point for me.  I "have" an amp, but it's on the shelf as I do my best to keep my neighbors happy in this tight residential area.  And, since most of my operating is on CW, I find the 590 a superlative rig.  Do I miss a band scope... yes, but not terribly so, as I no longer have any major interest in DXing or contesting.  Been there, done that many years ago!  I previously had an ICOM IC-7800v2, and I can personally attest the 590 is superior to the 7800 in the on-air receiver dynamics department, and it doesn't create a hernia every time you lift it...  Grin  I do somewhat miss the absolute rock-solid stability of the 7800's OCXO over the 590's TCXO, but then again it's still light-years ahead in stability over my older analog rigs with very decent PTO or VFO designs.  

Don W9CW

well Don, I think you said it all. 73
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »

Charles, yes I covered the specifics, but neither purported problem is a "issue" with me.  If I wanted to use my amp with the TS-590, I certainly could but I choose not to due to potential RFI problems with my neighbors.  Since it's a tube amp, the ALC overshoot, however slight it may be, wouldn't cause any problems with the 3-500Z tubes in my Heathkit SB-220.  Thus, this major problem as you imply, is a complete "non-issue" for me.

And, secondly, the "talk power" problem that you really didn't discuss, but implied, is also a "non-issue" as I get a minimum of 100W output on voice peaks either checking it with my Coaxial Dynamics peak-reading watt meter, or an oscilloscope.  Thus, I don't have any issues with my TS-590 - none.

If you choose to go with the Alinco DX-SR8T, good luck.  If you think the TS-590 has problems...  the DX-SR8T's receiver's not even close to being in the same league as the TS-590's.

Getting back to this thread's basic question:  I'm very happy with my TS-590, although I never owned a IC-756PRO3.  However, I did own the IC-756PRO3's "Big Brother" - the IC-7800, and the TS-590 is a better overall HF rig, even though it's only 100 watts rather than the 200 watts of the IC-7800.  Simply put, the TS-590's receiver is superior to that of either receiver of the two independent receivers in the IC-7800.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »

Don, I agree it has one of the best receiver you can get.,But  its a Ten-Tec  Eagle for me.
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »

What I don't like with the Eagle are the poor economics. For example the VFO has only 200 steps per revolution compared to 1000 of a Kenwood. When you turn the VFO control fast then it omits some steps and moves slower. Not so comfortable to move over the bands. The antenna tuner is another story. Only one memory per band and really slow. I also do not understand why tuning rate and AGC is hold separate for every band.

Also the finish is not nice. Some labels at the front are centered some are left aligned. Why is the label "Band" abbreviated to "BAN" and "Mode" to "Mod" which is not necessary because other labels still have 4 letters (Lock, Atten, Fast, Tune)? Careless finish. It is not for me.

And the DSP functions work much better with the TS-590.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

Don, I agree it has one of the best receiver you can get.,But  its a Ten-Tec  Eagle for me.
WA8OLD

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

I have been researching the TS590S (and similar rigs) for well over a year, and may be ready to purchase one. I feel this will suit my needs for a HF rig for my second QTH. What power supplies would you recommend.
I have mixed feelings about switching supplies, but don't know if the companion Kenwood supply PS60 is worth the money. I have had good luck with Astron standard supplies.
If so, that's OK but recommended alternates? Feel free to give technical reasons, if you wish
Thanks es 73 WA8OLD
KC1MK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »

I have been researching the TS590S (and similar rigs) for well over a year, and may be ready to purchase one. I feel this will suit my needs for a HF rig for my second QTH. What power supplies would you recommend.
I have mixed feelings about switching supplies, but don't know if the companion Kenwood supply PS60 is worth the money. I have had good luck with Astron standard supplies.
If so, that's OK but recommended alternates? Feel free to give technical reasons, if you wish
Thanks es 73 WA8OLD

I'm running a JPE PS30SW2 switching supply. I wrapped a couple of turns of the DC connection right at the power supply output in a clamp-on ferrite RF choke, and have only found weak birdies in the LF range (below about 300 kHz). They're very weak, and can easily be tuned away with the noise control on the power supply. Without the choke, I did have some birdies up into the 160M and 80M bands. I've only had the supply for a week or so (I was using an MFJ M4225V switching supply (lots of birdies!) and an Astron RS35M (also a good supply (I've had it about 25 years), but bulky and heavy).

Jeff, KC1MK
KC1MK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 08:27:58 PM »

A correction to my previous post: my switching power supply is actually a QJE, not a Jetstream. Very similar design and look. The QJE is about $60 cheaper (I got the QJE supply at Austin Amateur Radio Supply for $120), though I opted for it over the Jetstream because the QJE has a noise offset control (which really works very well) and it was locally available.

On an unrelated note, I found the noise source that was plaguing reception on 160 through 40 meters. Turns out it is the charger for my Asus laptop. I tried putting a few ferrite chokes on the charger leads, which reduced but did not eliminate the noise. I think possibly some chokes of different material may work better. In any event, worst-case scenario is to unplug the charger when operating on the lower bands. I use the Asus laptop for ham radio so it's on the desk by the radios. The Asus laptop itself does not cause any RFI problems. BTW, FWIW, I also have a Thinkpad on the desk, and neither it nor it's charger generate any noticeable RFI. Nor do my Macs in another room. I was glad that the RFI was from my Asus charger, not from a more difficult to track down source or the power lines. As far as RFI/electrical noise, the bands are awesomely quiet now at my location (a semi-rural location).

Jeff, KC1MK
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: