The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw contesting by computer  (Read 2905 times)
AG5T

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »

Just curious - what is the ruling on using a computer to work cw in a contest? What about for field day? I would guess that computer cw is frowned upon for contesting and dxing, but what do you say? Thanks.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 09:57:41 PM »

Lots of people do it.  The heavy duty contesters are almost always rigged up to use computer generated CW.  There is no rule against and no custom against.  It can get very, very tiring pounding out "CQ test" hour after hour.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 03:12:51 PM »

I use a LogiTech Keyer...K-3 ... with easily programmable buttons. One of which I set for "CQ FD..."...

*I* prefer to do my own sending..makes me feel like *I* am contesting !  I never show in the standings, so why take away a 'personal' feeling ?   The 'Guns  will tell me when I Dupe with them..which isn't often as I keep a pretty good scratch log, and don't have the strength (anymore) to pull the "24", then do my computering AFTER the contest.

Now, if you think you can Win, Place, or Show, that's another story !

CU  F/D
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 10:52:03 PM »

Certainly for *sending* CW, computers are the much preferred method!

For receiving it, well, um...

73 Mike N2MG
N5TU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 11:21:05 AM »

Computer generated is SOP.  Computer copy is not allowed.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 07:41:01 PM »

And in the chaos of a contest, the human brain would copy more accurately than a computer much of the time.
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 01:47:04 PM »

If you have a TNC which allows copy and sending of CW you find it's much like any other digital mode contest. Almost all the CW contesters are using keyers and/or computers to send there CW for them while they log there contacts and most of the logging programs will do that for you also. One very good program is WF1B RTTY contest software. Even if it claimes to be only for RTTY mode it's very easy to us it for CW contesting. Simpley select the "Talk to TNC" command and manually enter the command to switch it to Morse mode. Now select CW or Morse mode on your transceiver and watch the TNC decode the 20 WPM 90% of the contesters have there keyers or computers set to for transmit speed. The contest software will do everything for you with just a few mouse clicks. Calls worked show up in a diffrent color than needed calls so you know He/She is a dupe before you even click on his/her call. As most are locked at 20 WPM you can lock your receive speed at 20 WPM also and copy is almost 100%. Another nice feature of WF1B is that it is a pure DOS mode program so you don't have problems with Windows OS crashing on you during the contest. You might run up on a station that is not running a keyer or computer so you will still need to be able to copy code so keep paper and pin handy for notes! Other than these few stations the software will make it easy and fast.
WB2NVY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 02:02:18 PM »

So you write a computer program that sends CQ, copies whoever  responds, logs the call & screens out dupes, and sends a canned message maybe incrementing the contact number. You don't need to even own a key. Where's the fun here? You can be out mowing the lawn and running your 'computer operated cw contest'. Rules say you can't copy with a computer? Does anybody pay attention to rules? Who's gonna know? Ya do whatever it takes to win, right?
WB2TPS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 10:22:47 AM »

CW contesting with a computer is a blast!!!
Get one of the contesting programs (CT, N1MM or Writelog) hook up your radio and key lines to the computer and contest away.

The program takes care of all the drugery....logging, duping, scoring, log submission, etc.  associated with paper logs.  It allows you to concentrate on the contest.
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 09:19:24 AM »

There is no longer a prohibition against elctro/mechanical code readers, not even for FD or SS. There hasn't been for some time.  And since wetware is still far superior to decoders for reading Morse, I think that's why there are so many ..--..s after sending a perfectly keyed exchange. There's a bit of a propagation delay while the computer adjusts to the speed of what's received in the midst of crowded bands.

I continue to use my paddle and keyer to send, but I still trust my ear more than I trust my computer and TNC.

Steve

BTW, Pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...    
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: