Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No license required for digital modes? I doubt that!  (Read 10591 times)
KA0SBL

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »

Is there a part 15 solution for someone not ready to invest the time in an amateur license for doing APRS?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:25:45 PM by Kenn » Logged
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 01:25:55 AM »

Not to transmit APRS.  I think the FCC finally authorized some limited location data transmission on FRS/GMRS but there are some limitations to it.

Not nice to hear of scofflaws on our bands. 
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:52:27 AM »

There may be an FRS/GMRS solution for Kia or possibly using Part 15 equipment.  But, there are NO exceptions in Part 97 for unlicensed operation on any frequency, using any mode or power level.

I bet he also is ignoring the FAA rules regarding free balloons!

http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/part101.html
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »

Lots of Hang Gliders and Off Roaders use 2m FM gear.
But for the most part they know it's illegal but just
don't care. They make no bones about it. They just shrug and say
"So what? Like the FCC is gonna come after me out in the middle
of nowhere? Right..." I've been in HRO several times when they've
bought and/or inquired about radios, antennas, and accessories.

73, Ken  AD6KA
K4TJJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 02:46:45 AM »

Maybe a rogue transmitter hunt is in order?

He might be confused with the 900MHz and 2.4GHz ISM bands shared with the ham bands. He doesn't need a license if he stays within Part 15.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:56 PM »

Is there a part 15 solution for someone not ready to invest the time in an amateur license for doing APRS?

so, 15 minutes a day for maybe a week (a bit more if you are a slow learner) and $15 and 15 minutes to take the test is too much time to invest?
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »

Yes there is a solution.  Run an APRS client and a WiFi 802.11 node and connect into the backbone just like you would with a weather station, for instance.

There are also plenty of Part 15 wireless links around with various data rates and ranges. Companies like Linx Technologies make a whole bunch of things.  I believe Digi does too.  Rabbit Semiconductor/Z-world have pretty much turnkey microcontroller/computer widgets with a variety of wireless Part 15 interfaces.

You won't be interoperable with the APRS stuff on 2 meters, but if your need is just to get position/altitude/status back from somewhere remote, there's lots of pretty much off the shelf Part 15 solutions.

You could, even, run the same AFSK that is used by hams, except using 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz Part 15 modules, although I'm not sure that's a good system solution.
KG6HXO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »

There are 1 Watt digital spread spectrum transmitters that can directly accept GPS info and pass it like a very long serial cable. They are license free, and offer great air to ground range. They are just not particular cheap. I tested a Digi Brand Xtend-900 system and was able to receive a signal on the ground from 7 miles from a metal aircraft with the transmitter and rubber duck sitting on the passenger seat. These would be worthless for trying to DF, since they are digital spread spectrum, but show real promise as a balloon tracker for the license-challenged operator. Hey, if anyone wants to buy the development kit I paid more than 500 bucks for, the first $300.00 takes it! I like the performance of VHF for tracking systems.

Allen
VHS
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:03:35 PM »

Recently discovered the Garmin Rino 530HCx, a handy little device that's a GPS with topo maps plus FRS/GMRS. Pretty much a turnkey solution out of the box all in one compact unit. Technically requires a GMRS license to use the APRS features.
WA7SKG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »

There is a little known CB (MURS) band that uses channels of the old "Dot" frequencies of 151.820, 151.880, 151.940, 154.570 and 154.600.  No license required, 2-watt limit and you can use almost any mode you want.  There is lots of APRS use on these channels as well as normal packet used for SCADA type purposes.  In fact there are many commercial packet modems (TS4000 Radio Modem) available.

So, yes Virginia, there are unlicensed legal digital modes.
KC8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 07:13:19 AM »

I think the point was not if unlicensed packet was taking place, but rather if packet modes are a authorized for the license free bands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: