Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapered 10 Foot Tower Section Rohn 55 - 45  (Read 1148 times)
KB9JXZ

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:43:22 PM »

Hello,
 I have done the typical internet hunt but could not find any answers. I have 4 Rohn 55G sections that I could get along with some 45G for a great deal along with all related hardware and guys. I thought at one time there was a tapered section available, but maybe I was looking at something else.

The reason I ask is I was thinking of having three 6' side arms at or near the top of the 55G  (35ish feet) for some larger omni antennas that do not need to be any higher along with torque arms and continue with 45G for a much lighter load at the top with proper guy wire along the way and only in the 75-80 foot range of total tower elevation.

Another note: The one section of 55G has a second set of "Z" bars in between the first and appears to have been used as a the top section and can not find any info on that either. ( I assume for a more sturdy surface for side mounts ?? I know I shouldn't assume:)  Any links I missed during my searches?

I did check many adds also, and to go with just the Rohn 55 only would be great, but I would want only 4-5 more sections and the ones for sale are already 75-150 feet so these would not be a deal if I have to buy a full tower anyway.

I know I could get something welded together but... I enjoy life and would rather do it correctly and within spec. (Thinking it is cheaper to buy all 55 than to hire an engineer) I have worked at 900 feet installing huge FM radio bays, strobe light repair, and misc. from cellular to public service and nothing scares me more than a local ham wanting me to climb his tower to overload it even more.

If there is a solution, that would be great, no solution means waiting and saving for a full 55G.

I love overkill, nature can get mean. Smiley

Any links I missed?? (I hope)

Thank you for your time,

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »

At one time, you could indeed buy what you're looking for. Unfortunately, it isn't in the catalog any longer. You might find a used one, but I personally don't like the idea of used when it comes to towers. If it were me, I'd just order another piece of 55G.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: