Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knight Star Roamer - dirty pot & slipping strings.  (Read 5225 times)
KA0SBL

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:30:29 AM »

How best to repair scratchy potentiometers and slipping tuner strings? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:19:37 PM by Kenn » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »

As a boatanchor restorer and user I recommend DeOxit pot and switch cleaner.  It is not cheap.  If you cannot find it CRC (IMO) makes a good one.  Squirt a little inside the pot and "exercise" the pot numerous (MANY) times.  Ditto on all switches and pots. IMO this is not a place for WD40.  Over time it usually gets gummy.

If the dial is slipping and IF the string is tight, I would suspect the 50 year old grease in the bearings in the variable caps may be hard or missing.  Put a DROP of 10W oil on each and every bearing in the caps and on each and every point where the string goes around or through a "bearing.  Do not get oil on the string.  "Exercise" (rotate) the caps to work the oil into the bearings.

Some of these radios have a spring that keeps the string tight.  If the oil fails, check the spring.  If all that fails I would re-string it.  There is special dial string available.  Do not use braided fishing line etc.  Use the real deal.

Dick  AD4U
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:07:25 PM »

Deoxit for cleaning pots and switches. Don;t use that Radio Shack tuner cleaner crap. I used it on my Turner +3, and ruined the pot. I now need a new pot, and it is rather small, with a small shaft. Having trouble finding exact size.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:30 AM »

I called the manufacturer and they said for vintage electronics, use DeoxIT D100S-2. It is solvent free and does not melt plastics.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:32:39 AM »

WD40 leaves an oily film that is not good for anything conductive. There are several cleaners that are specifically designated for cleaning pots and switches. If you've used WD40 then you probably need to give it a good cleaning with one of the designated cleaners that does not leave a oily film.

KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »

Lubricating the variable cap bearings fixed the problem, works smoothly now. Will get the deoxit product for pots & pans. Thank You to all that responded, looking forwards to having this rig fully restored.
WA5VGO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »

WD40 leaves an oily film that is not good for anything conductive.
WD-40 is excellent for cleaning pots. You need a cleaner that leaves a film of lubricant behind or the wiper will chew up the element. It takes very little. The smallest blast you can spray will be plenty. I wouldn't use it on switches.

Darrell, WA5VGO
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »

Just a personal opinion on WD40. There are products made for certain things, and I typically use it for that reason. Deoxit was made for cleaning controls and pots. WD40 was made as a lubricant and water disperser. I could not find any electronic control uses under the "2000 uses" under its website. However, I did find under its MSDS that is is FLAMMABLE.

I think that is pretty much a good reason to NOT use it.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »

The next time you're roaming the aisles of your favorite auto parts or big box handy guy store look for this:

http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=02005&S=Y

Use it anywhere you'd use WD-40. Excellent clean & lube properties and it is rated for electrical applications. Unlike WD-40 it evaporates very slowly. That's a good thing inside a potentiometer or rotary switch wafer, bad thing if you get sloppy with the spray.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WB4KTF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:32:40 AM »

I do have a few feet of ORIGINAL black Star Roamer Dial String,   Send me an email and let me know how many inches you need.
WB4KTF
wb4ktf@pipeline.com
WA5VGO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »

However, I did find under its MSDS that is is FLAMMABLE.
I think that is pretty much a good reason to NOT use it.

I think we're getting a little carried away here. Most radios are full of flammable material  i.e.-the insulation on the wire. A couple of c.c. of lubricant poses no risk.

I've used it on pots for at least forty years. It's an excellent - and safe - cleaner and lubricant for this.

Darrell, WA5VGO
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:40:50 PM »

I think we're getting a little carried away here. Most radios are full of flammable material  i.e.-the insulation on the wire. A couple of c.c. of lubricant poses no risk.

You are probably right regarding flammable parts. I doubt they would ignite as easy as WD40. Saying that, all I was trying to say is that it is off label use. Based on the cost of a 2 oz can of Deoxit, cost of replacement part as well as availability or older parts, and the fact it is designed for that use, it is cheap insurance, so I would advise against WD40. The other thing about the Deoxit can is that it throws out a measured (timed) squirt, as opposed to WD40 which will squirt until you release the nozzle. It does not create a mess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: