Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boom mics  (Read 9790 times)
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »

I use an Heil ProSet 5 head set and foot switch for all my radio work. Boom mic's are OK but you have to stay in front of it with a head set you can adjust your amp or any other equipment in the shack and talk at the same time HANDS FREE try that with a boom mic. Almost all the top contester's use Head Sets. Since I started using head sets my scores have more than doubled the head set helps you hear better and and you do not have to keep your head in one position to use the mic.

Just 2 pennies worth
Roland AH6RR
1st World 2010 CQWPX 20M SOHP Assisted Tri-Band and Wires.
KJ4ADN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 10:22:26 AM »

I use an Heil ProSet 5 head set and foot switch for all my radio work. Boom mic's are OK but you have to stay in front of it with a head set you can adjust your amp or any other equipment in the shack and talk at the same time HANDS FREE try that with a boom mic. Almost all the top contester's use Head Sets. Since I started using head sets my scores have more than doubled the head set helps you hear better and and you do not have to keep your head in one position to use the mic.

Just 2 pennies worth
Roland AH6RR
1st World 2010 CQWPX 20M SOHP Assisted Tri-Band and Wires.

DITTO!!!!

Not to mention nothing is in the way, blocking your vision, and the mic is consistently the same distance from your mouth, less background noise because your mouth is an inch off the mic - it all adds up to a rather nice signal with good audio.

My kids and I use an Heil IC & 5 head sets and foot switch for all their radio work - except for the last Virginia QSO party...  My daughter has a very distinct advantage over my son (her voice is excellent), but this time he was using a Headset and she was using the stock hand mic.

350 contacts for him (56k pts), she logged 280...  working the same band, 10-50khz apart.

I see several obvious reasons:

a.  try logging using a hand mic.  just picking the darn thing up all day long is gonna slow you down.
b.  It's seldom ever the same distance from your mouth, so your audio & power levels and clarity fluctuate all the time.  One call you sound muffled (the mic is turned slightly, under your chin, in your cheek, ?etc), the next you're popping because the mic is right in front of your mouth - get the idea?
c.  the headset w/mic combination is never in the way of the computer, keyboard, paper, pencil, etc., the cord is completely out of the way, so you can spin the VFO and log freely.  With the mic always in the corner of your mouth, every transmission sounds alike.

Last year, she won the county, this year....   she'll probably place 2nd, and my son will take it. 
Still, not bad for a 11yr old girl, up against a 15yr old boy.

A good mic can make an inexpensive radio (FT-450) sound rather nice, and a give you a HUGE advantage over a stock hand mic...  regardless of what you do with the equalizer.

KJ4ADN
Bill

P.S.   They really like you to continue using hand mics and booms....
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »

Bill,

FB on your kids being competitive and winning contests. Good to see the young folks getting into contesting. I wish them good luck in their contesting effort but please ensure they also learn that good operating habit and good sportmanship is just as important as winning. I hear alot of people in contests that seem to forget that premise and they are out to win no matter what the cost or overall effect on others.

Maybe I'll run into them and give your son and daughter a point or two using my 'boom mike' in a contest Grin  I usually contest to have fun and catch a new one here or there. Occasionally if I do enough to make it worth while, I will actually submit a log to see whare I place.

73 to you all,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K4KYV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51:17 AM »

If you are just trying to look like Rush Limbaugh, save yourself some time and money and stick with the original mike or your headset. 

Who in his right mind would want to look like that fool?

I use a boom type mic stand.  Made mine from an old workbench lamp holder.  Cost me nothing because I already had it in my junk collection.

A desk mic always seems to be in the way, in the wrong place at the wrong time, and inevitably gets knocked off to the floor sooner or later.

I'll leave the hand mics with built-in PTT button to the CB crowd.

My T/R switch is made from an in-line power cord toggle switch attached to the end of a retractable spiral cord that was originally used as a stereo headphone extension cord.  An old CB style hand mic cord or a spiral telephone handset cord will do, as well.  I just hold the switch out of the way in my lap or hang it on a hook attached to the operating desk while operating. I once tried a foot switch, but that sucked big time.

I think I hit on the perfect solution to the mic and T/R switch problem, since I have been using this system for over 30 years now, and haven't found anything else that comes even close in comfort and convenience.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »

Whats wrong with a hand mic?  Huh

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »

Why is it that when using a headset in a phone contest
you can be calling "CQ Test" with the DVR for five minutes
with no response. Then the second you flip up the little mic boom
to sip some coffee, someone comes back to you?
Why is that? How do they KNOW?  Grin

PS: I refuse to drink ham juice (coffee) through a straw!

73, Ken  AD6KA  ex 5R8GQ
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 06:45:52 AM »

I noticed the exact same thing. Since then I alway try to take 200 or more sips of my coffee! Grin

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »

I have probably 5 heil mic's, some have the switchable element, some are just plain ole HM 10's but they are all on boom mic's. I have a big problem with using hand or desk mics, as the space on my desk is very valuable and I need all the room I can get.

I prefer to use VOX and a boom mic so I can use both hands ( make that  both index fingers ) to type with.  I also do not like to keep reaching up to the mic to key it.  I use either the boom mic or a head set with mic, so both hands are free.

I also use a remote knob  to change freqs on the radio and a remote button to control the voice keyer, as my arms get tired reaching up all the time. You would be amazed at the  ease of use when all controls are near the mouse/ keyboard.

I don't use the mics as a Hi Fidelity mic, but the fit the boom and clear up some desk space. they do sound ok, so folks tell me. Try using vox instead of a foot pedal and you will start to see the difference.

I also keep my eyes open for "deals" on booms, mic's and other accessories for my station. I have it set up as a poor mans multi- multi sation, with 6 hf stations and 5  amps,  2 of which are legal limit, all bought used, and assembled into the station as I found other stuff.

Most all the big stuff, and most of the small stuff has been purchased used at a discount, or traded for  something else, and even the new  stuff gets bought when there is a "deal" like ICOM days at HRO or stuff for sale from the vendors at pacificon, M2 or the Visalia DX conference.  every little bit helps.

so set up your stuff the way you like it, and don't worry about others, life is to short to not enjoy your hobby the way you want.
W2MRD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

I just recently picked up one of the $39 Radio Shack microphones ($20 after coupon and promotional gift card), put it on a small desktop microphone base above my keyboard I had and wired up an footswitch (perhaps from some industrial piece of equipment?) and so far so good with my FT-897.

While I do use headphones sometimes, I wanted to stay away from a combination headset so I could seperate the two independently. Sometimes I like to use the radio speaker when I'm only "half paying attention" to the radio and doing something else. This way I can quickly jump in without having to plug the headset in and put it on.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: