Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Way to Copy Paper Log to Digital??  (Read 5381 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »

I could not agree more with WA5FLV and W6FG. I have been reading reviews and trying logging programs for a week and they are all too damn complex, and they try to do virtually everything. Years ago I had all my data computerized using Log-EQF, but I took a few years off from the hobby and the HD crashed.  I also see it is no longer being maintained by EQF. I'd give anything for a simple PC with DOS and a simple program. In the week I have been fooling with these logging programs I could have made some headway.

I just want to log 10,000 QSO's, send the data to LOTW and EQSL, figure out what countries and states I have worked on each band, and apply for the awards I've qualified for. Once that is done I will learn how to use HRD Logging Program V.5. I think he is smart breaking the programs into individual units.  A decade ago I would've hired a niece or nephew but they are all grown and will now tell me to take a hike.

So, is there a consensus as to the fastest logging program to get my data up to LOTW?
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

I looked at all 3 programs and the one by DL3CB appears to be the quickest.  I worked about 600 QSO's in NA QSO Party last weekend. I'm going to load them into DL3CB's program and report back as to the time it took.  It will not be completely equivalent to entering a logbook since I only worked one band and only gave out 59 reports in the contest.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:34:12 PM by NU1O » Logged
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »

I could not agree more with WA5FLV and W6FG. I have been reading reviews and trying logging programs for a week and they are all too damn complex, and they try to do virtually everything. Years ago I had all my data computerized using Log-EQF, but I took a few years off from the hobby and the HD crashed.  I also see it is no longer being maintained by EQF. I'd give anything for a simple PC with DOS and a simple program. In the week I have been fooling with these logging programs I could have made some headway.

I just want to log 10,000 QSO's, send the data to LOTW and EQSL, figure out what countries and states I have worked on each band, and apply for the awards I've qualified for. Once that is done I will learn how to use HRD Logging Program V.5. I think he is smart breaking the programs into individual units.  A decade ago I would've hired a niece or nephew but they are all grown and will now tell me to take a hike.

So, is there a consensus as to the fastest logging program to get my data up to LOTW?

Why not just type it in direct to the LOTW TQSL program?  That way, it's ready to upload and when you are done each time and when you get them all up, you can download the ADIF file and put it into the logging program.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »

Have tried so many different logging programs and finally given up. I want a simple program that lets me type in data from my paper logs. I don't want it to auto date or control the radio, rotator or coffee pot. Yes a simple spreadsheet would work but I don't want to creat it. Don't want to spend any more money trying to find the right one. I'm sick of trying to make programs or handle software. I do this at work all day long. Not worried about backup or saving files. Got that covered fine. I just want to enter my old logs, save it and the send it to EQSL in the adi form.
Curious that this hasn't been done.

If that's all you want, then just install DXKeeper, the logging component of the freeware DXLab Suite; DXKeeper can be configured to automatically upload each QSO to eQSL as you log it, or you can do this in batches if you prefer. There's no need to install the transceiver control, spot collection, propagation prediction, or other components if all you want to do is log QSOs.

To see how DXKeeper works when logging QSOs from a paper logbook, take a look at  http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogCompletedMain.htm

Art N4PJ has used DXKeeper to log thousands of QSOs from paper logbooks for friends and acquaintances; he considers it to be faster than FLE. Get Art's email address from QRZ.com (if it ever returns to service) and ask him about it directly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:42:30 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »

AA6YQ, I will try your suggestion next.  I found a paper log from the 10 meter contest back in December of 2010.  I logged in about 150 QSO's using DF3CB's FLE. It is very simple but even still there was a learning curve and I was frequently checking for mistakes.  I had frequent mode changes from SSB to CW since propagation was not very good until near the end of the contest when we had some nice TEP to Southern South America and that added to the time. Anyway, the first 25 contacts took about 1 minute per contact but by the 6th page I was logging in about 3 per minute. I then saved it as a ADIF file and transferred the data to AC Log 3.0 with no problem.  The program by DF3CB is very fast but it would've been nice if he had a column for country and/or state. I know why he left it out;  he was just looking to input the minimum info required. However, if one is looking to keep track of states and countries (and who isn't?) they will need to be added with a different program.  

I have a question which I think I know the answer to but I want to be sure. Can I upload data to Lotw in all kinds of order? I found some old contests on computer which are from various dates, then I would like to start by adding QSO's from November 2010 when I got back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus.  Finally, I will start when I got my ticket back in 1988.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:37:33 PM by NU1O » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »

W4PC, I did upload a few QSO's using Lotw but it is not really designed for entering individual QSO's, IMO. 
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »

The program by DF3CB is very fast but it would've been nice if he had a column for country and/or state. I know why he left it out;  he was just looking to input the minimum info required. However, if one is looking to keep track of states and countries (and who isn't?) they will need to be added with a different program.  
I did not know that FLE doesn't record the state or country. Not logging the DXCC entity is a serious problem for those pursuing DXCC awards because a logging application importing the ADIF file created by FLE wouldn't be able to determine the DXCC entity for ambiguous callsigns like those beginning with E5, TO, or ZK. You'd have to manually update these QSOs after importing the file.

I have a question which I think I know the answer to but I want to be sure. Can I upload data to Lotw in all kinds of order? I found some old contests on computer which are from various dates, then I would like to start by adding QSO's from November 2010 when I got back into the hobby after a 5 year hiatus.  Finally, I will start when I got my ticket back in 1988.
Yes, you can upload QSOs to LotW in what ever order you like. DXLab's DXKeeper keeps track of which QSOs have already been uploaded. It can automatically assemble a batch to not-yet-uploaded QSOs for you to upload with the click of your mouse.

LotW does require that all QSOs within a batch be made with the same Station Callsign and from the same Station Location. If you have operated with multiple calls and/or from multiple locations, DXKeeper provides facilities that enable you to easily comply with this requirement.

Dave, AA6YQ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »

Dave,

I am going to give DXKeeper a try now that I tried FLE. States and countries can be added with FLE but they wind up in the comments section, not where they belong, Of course that means using a logging program, as I did (AC Log) and after I entered the FLE data as an ADIF file I had to do some editing for state and country. I agree, it is a big drawback and it just adds more time. I can't believe a smart guy like he didn't think about this. Will LoTW pick up the countries from his data? I know there is no way to pick up the states. That would require crosschecking every QSO with QRZ.COM.

All my QSO's have been from the same QTH. I did have a General call when I first got my ticket but I upgraded in a month to Extra so it will not pose a problem. I'll let you know how DXKeeper went. Thanks again.

Chris
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 05:21:51 AM »

I spent a little more than a week trying out the various logging programs.  The program I decided to go with is AC LOG 3.0 by N3FJP. The reason is that I felt it's the most intuitive and it only does logging. No rig control, no decoding RTTY, Morse, or PSK 31, no turning my antenna rotator, no coffee brewing.  There is obviously a market for all of those things but I just want a logging program. Period! There are drawbacks to AC Log. For example, if you are typing in previously logged QSO's, as I am, the date and time keeps reverting back to the current date and time. It would be nice if it defaulted to the last date and time entered.  I guess I could change my PC's date and internal clock, but I already know what would happen: I'd forget to set it back to the actual date and time.

Dave, AA6YQ, kindly offered to tutor me and his program (DX Keeper) is free but it is part of a package of programs and that is the last thing I wanted.  I will spend $39 for AC Logger but I feel like I have started to take back control over my record keeping.

73 de NU1O, Chris
NW0M

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »

Chris,

AC Log has a Date setting that you can choose Current Date or Last Entry Date.  Use Last Entry Date for entering your old contacts and that will solve your date issue.

On their website they have a nice user manual that actual users developed. 

Good Luck,
Mitch
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 05:26:37 AM »

I haven't tried the program you are using, but honestly, I would have just used excel and figured out a way to import into my current logging program.  You could then do S for SSB and C for CW and do a search/replace after the fact to make it pretty.  Then you could type it in any order your logbook is in and it will figure it all out in the import.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: