Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Hates Their Customers  (Read 6729 times)
K2NNJ

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »

I bought a Yaesu VX-6R in February 2009.  Three months after the warranty expired I had intermittent transmit problems.  The radio would not transmit but the red light would come on.

I paid $48 to have it repaired.  Approximately 2 weeks after the repair, the radio developed another problem.  When the "RX Save" feature is on the radio emits a "popping sound" from the speaker.

I Yaesu's insistence I sent the radio back and without telling me what was wrong, they wanted to extort another $96 to repair the radio again.  It's just too coincidental that the problem was not related to the first repair.  I sent them numerous emails, explained that Yaesu opened the radio and what is more likely that their technician touched something by accident and caused the second problem.

Yaesu says they want to work with me, but at the same time say I have to pay to repair the radio.  Yaesu does not care about their customers and will extort you for money, although it's Yaesu's fault.  I would be paying $150 total for 2 repairs for a radio that cost $250 new and is just under two years old.

I will NEVER buy another Yaesu garbage radio again. 
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:35:51 AM »

Nobody forced you to send it in. You knew it was a different problem before you did send it. You paid for a INEXPENSIVE repair ($48 by your admission) Your radio then had another problem. If you take your car in for a tuneup and then the muffler falls off the next day, how is it the mechanics fault you drove it back in to get the muffler repaired. I'd charge you too. Cept it'd be alot more than $48
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:46:11 AM »

"It's just too coincidental that the problem was not related to the first repair."

That's an assumption on your part. It is not supported by facts because you don't know what they did to repair it the first time. The fact that it worked for 2 weeks after you got it back may also support their claim that they did not cause the second problem.

This is an age old problem for consumer repair shops. They complete one minor repair and the customer expects the device should work flawlessly for the next year. There are always two sides to every issue.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »

It sounds like a big conspiracy to me. It is amazing the way those Yaesu technicians can put those "time trigger" problems in a radio. I once had them repair on a radio, and they set the "time trigger" problem for 4 years, not the two weeks like they did on yours.  Get real, and man up.

John W5JON
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

So don't use the "RCV Battery Save" feature.
With the squelch on, there's only a 30ma drain difference
between it being on and off. From 60ma down to 30ma.

Is a battery drain difference of 30ma in Standby really going
to make or break how you operate? Geeze, even with
the receive audio up high the receive draw is only 150 ma.

I know, I know, now comes the "It's the principle of
the thing" spiel. "It was fine before I sent it in!".
I really doubt the factory repair caused this.
Ya know, sometimes s**t just happens.

I've had good results with Yaesu products
and own two of their HT's, VX-5R and VX-150.
They are far from "garbage".
They are well built, rugged, and easy to operate.

Sorry this happened to you, BTW.
Refusing to purchase any other Yaesu products in the
future is your loss. Everyone puts out a lemon once
in a while sure, but overall Yaesu makes nice gear.
73, Ken  AD6KA

K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

Nobody forced you to send it in. You knew it was a different problem before you did send it. You paid for a INEXPENSIVE repair ($48 by your admission) Your radio then had another problem. If you take your car in for a tuneup and then the muffler falls off the next day, how is it the mechanics fault you drove it back in to get the muffler repaired. I'd charge you too. Cept it'd be alot more than $48

If he had to touch the muffler to do the tuneup, and the muffler was fine before he touched it, then yeah it's his fault.
K2NNJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »

"It's just too coincidental that the problem was not related to the first repair."

That's an assumption on your part. It is not supported by facts because you don't know what they did to repair it the first time. The fact that it worked for 2 weeks after you got it back may also support their claim that they did not cause the second problem.

This is an age old problem for consumer repair shops. They complete one minor repair and the customer expects the device should work flawlessly for the next year. There are always two sides to every issue.

I expect Yaesu to repair one problem, and not have another problem develop soon after.  I guess I should fly to Calif. and watch the technician repair the radio.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »

Hope you treat your customers well and let them know specifically what "as-is" means:

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/332881

I expect Yaesu to repair one problem, and not have another problem develop soon after.  I guess I should fly to Calif. and watch the technician repair the radio.

Well that's not reasonable.  It is reasonable to expect them to not directly break anything else while they fix it.  But sometimes coincidences happen.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »

If he had to touch the muffler to do the tuneup, and the muffler was fine before he touched it, then yeah it's his fault.

I don't have any idea how old you are or what you do for a living, but you are living in a dream world, my friend.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:20:54 PM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »

Hi Robert (K2NNJ),

I do not see in your Ad the part about needing to send it to Yaesu and spending another $96.00, to get a fully functional HT.   http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/332881

Guess you missed that part, or were you going to do that "TWO WEEKS" or "SOON AFTER" you received the buyers money. Nice guy.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

W5JON is right about the ad.
"As is" usually means no guarantees, no returns, all sales final.
BUT an honest seller will describe ANY and ALL problems, quirks, damage,etc.

Yet in reply to an email inquiry which asked "Does everything work?"
and "Why are you selling it for such a low price?"
K2NNJ replied:
"Yes, everything works. I'm selling it low to sell fast."
"It's in good condition.  Normal wear and tear, battery has a very good charge."

Ken, AD6KA
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »

Kinda make the original post (and follow-up) suspect, doesn't it?

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »

Kinda make the original post (and follow-up) suspect, doesn't it?

Hey, Lon.

It's called; BUSTED!

Tongue

73, Bill
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »

http://www.qrz.com/i/online-swapmeet-1.html#276461
N0AH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »

So does Array Solutions-