Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I created a monster !  (Read 4240 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »

Yuh I got the 1:1 balun and know about the tuner. I run a G5RV at my home station with pretty good success and went with what I am familiar with. At my home station I run a seperate 10 meter dipole so I am aware of those limitations as well.

I also included an Alpha Delta lightning arrestor.

I know about the ground rod driver, thought I don't have one. I figure I drive a rod once every 10 years or so ... heh  Grin Once you get them started it isn't too bad and helps allot if you have someone to hold it down lower to keep the wobble down. We have pretty iron rich soil here and it isnt too bad unless you hit the damn 'pipe clay' when your halfway down.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 03:12:56 PM »

You touched on a warm spot for me, Tom, and good for you.  My Dad served in the Army band during the war.  Because of flat feet, the Army felt like he could not do a lot of marching.  (Yeah, and what do Army bands do?  March and march and march some more). 

Shortly after I got my Novice license in 1962, I was making some 40M CW contacts in my bedroom, adjacent to the family room.  When I shut the rig down and went into the family room, Dad said "so how is Bob in Ohio doing with that new dipole?"  At age 14 I finally learned that my Dad was initially trained as a radio operator in the Army and had been taught Morse Code because he knew how to TYPE.  The whole time I was making contacts with my little Novice station, Dad was in the next room typing out the letters I sent.  I had no idea.

Miss him much.  Enjoy the hobby with your Dad.

Terry, WØFM
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »

Terry:  What an incredible story!  It brought tears to my eyes...... I suspect there is much more to that story.

KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »

That is a touching story Terry thanks for sharing.

I told my dad I worked Kuwait last night on 20 meters and he was all excited.

Anyhow got (most) of the grounding gear today. I told him I would start drivingi it in the morning before it got all hot and humid.  Cant wait to wake up the nephews with bang, bang, bang... heh  Grin

Hope to have it in place and good to go before the antenna stuff arrives.

Quick question, how well does aluminum wire hold up when buried? Cu prices are out of hand and his service entrance is pretty distant.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »

In my experience, AL holds up about the same or maybe better than Cu when buried, AL has a higher resistance, but tends to only corrode on the surface, Cu can keep on going until the whole damn thing is green clear through. 
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »

Ive had a hellua time finding bare Al conductors!

Any sources out there?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »

You may find that you can get copper cheaper then.  Although at the pace the bandits are stealing the copper cores out of air conditioners...

I've even put used copper tubing to good use in radio grounds, you can even flatten it. 

Point is, get creative about the installation and you may just find you can save some money. 

Scrounge. 

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:42:54 PM by KE3WD » Logged
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »

You guys are probably right about the books, I sat with him today for a while and let him 'try' the hamtest online and it did befuddle him a little. Also I do not like the fact that they ask a price for each class of license. If they offered a one time fee for all classes it would be different.

hamexam.com

Five By Five software.

Don't even need the internet after it's loaded up.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »

Is aluminum clothes line wire still made and sold?  Funny how one doesn't see things  in a hardware store if it isn't something that you're not look for.

Aluminum clothesline used to be readily available then they started to cover it with plastic which would be unsuitable...... try your local hardware store and see what they have or can get.  (ACE Hardware will also order many things for their customers)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:01 AM »

Got the rod driven this morning just before the rain started  Cheesy Went down 1st time, only hit one rock and got through the pipe clay fairly quickly.

I ordered him this book http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Technician-General-Volunteer-Examiner/dp/1936533308/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372441736&sr=1-4&keywords=amateur+radio+study+guide

Looks decent and has all three classes in it. I defiantly decided against any computer based systems. Since he is a former electrical engineer and radio man he should pick up on the material fairly quickly plus I will be around to help and trial exam him.
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

Go to the library. Get the ARRL license study guide.  That's what I did for my extra.  Why buy a book that you only need for a couple of weeks when the library will be happy to lend it to you for free.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

I checked the library, most recent version they had of general and extra was 1994. Dident even have the tech.

Its a done deal now anyhow.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 08:26:45 AM »

Just a quick update.

He recieved that book I linked earlier and all I can say is... while it may be usefull as a review it is a horrible study guide. It is simply a list of the question pool with the correct answer listed.

I understand their logic of only listing the correct answer but maybe a little bit of how and why?

Anyhow I am looking into getting him something else.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »

JOY:  This IS the new age...... an eye opener......like Obamacare!  Welcome.
KD4ALY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

You might look at Gordon West's book and accompanying CD.  It's not nearly as dry as the ARRL study guide but it's still informative and easy to understand. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: