Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 135 event oversteps bounds  (Read 1223 times)
K6KDK

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:38:13 PM »

I am emailing this letter to all Directors of the ARRL and to various other persons that may be concerned as I am.

It seems that someone at ARRL has decided to "shove the 135 event down our throats" in what is an abusive and out of band contest operating practice. I was informed by one of the Assistant Directors for ARRL that he was told that the ARRL is "encouraging" operation of its 135 contest on the WARC Bands and even 2 meter repeaters!.

So far in just the first 24 hrs of this event I have personally observed the vigorous contest like activity over-riding weak signal DX on 17 meters and disrupting skeds and QSOs on 80 meters.

Responsible Contesting activity has a long history of observing the following points of order of  a "gentlemens agreement", and the 135 contest is violating all of the following:

1.) No operation on WARC Bands

2.) No operation on repeaters.

3.) No operation past a 36hr period

4.) Participants will kindly respect existing QSOs, weak signal DX and other weak signal portions of the various bands.

5.) No disruption of long standing skeds and nets on 40 and 80 meters

In a phone conversation with a representative at ARRL I was told that ARRLs position is that the 135 event "is not a contest". This is pure hog-wash. If it walks like a dog, barks like a dog and bites like a dog, then it is a dog! The 135 event has all the required trappings of any full blown contest, i.e. a structured awards for points scoring system, a formal structured exchange for the QSO, and rules for those who operate.

No doubt that the 135 event started out with a noble purpose, but it has seriously outsteped the bounds of responible operating. There maybe serious downstream problems as a result of a high visibility and powerful club like the ARRL going this route with the 135 event. What now is to stop ANY club or group of any size or purpose from pouliting the WARC bands with similiar contest like activity? The ARRL has now "set the presedent".  Additionally, the violation of all the points of the "gentlemens agreement" on contesting threatens all legitimate contest activity as the legitimate contest now gets tarred with the same brush from the backlash from the abusive 135 event activities.

Gentlemen, it's not too late!  Please stop the WARC Band activity and 2 meter repeater activity immediately!  Distribute a memo to your operators and inform them that there was a simple mistake in judgement made, and the honorable thing to do is cease immediately any "contest like activity" in areas where it is not appropriate.

Sincerely,

Dan Hyman K6KDK

OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 04:30:08 PM »

>>Responsible Contesting activity has a long history of observing the following points of order of a "gentlemens agreement", and the 135 contest is violating all of the following:<<
>1.) No operation on WARC Bands
>2.) No operation on repeaters.
>3.) No operation past a 36hr period
>4.) Participants will kindly respect existing QSOs, weak signal DX and other weak signal portions of the various bands.
>5.) No disruption of long standing skeds and nets on 40 and 80 meters

1. This EVENT is not a contest and is allowed on the WARC bands.

2.  This EVENT is not a contest and is allowed on repeaters.

3.  I have to plead ignorance.  I have never heard of a 36hr time limit for contest or other events.  Please help edumacte me on this one.

4.  As always respect the DX windows and existing QSOs.  But apparently this event operation didn't violate this rule.

5.  Ok, you are not taking your medication are you?  SKEDS and Nets are not protected no matter how "Long Standing" they are.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 04:43:10 PM »

No disruption to long standing skeds or nets?  From a contest?  You've got to be kidding.  What contest or set of contest operators has agreed to this?

No using the WARC bands?   Why not?  Field Day allowed the WARC bands for a few years back in the late 80's/early 90's and this helped pump activity on those rather inactive (at the time) bands to a whole new level.  I'm sorry this was discontinued.

If it's not a contest, anyway, why not allow contacts on any frequency, any mode, anywhere?  Is your local repeater so active with important traffic that making more contacts in pursuit of some certificate should not be allowed?  

36 hour rule?  That's sure a new one on me.  Most contests are 48 hours, and some have been far longer for many years...the "cumulative" microwave contests, for example.

This is nutty.

I'm not participating in the current "135 event" or whatever, but I do chase DX at the low end of all the bands, and haven't been disrupted by this activity in the slightest.

WB2WIK/6
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 04:10:01 AM »

OK, I give.  What the hell is the "135 event?"  The ARRL search engine reveals no hits on their website.  There is no 135 event in eham's operating activities schedule.  Even Google turns up nothing.  Is this another one of these phantom "contest every weekend" halucinations that just tear up the bands to the point of uselessness?
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 05:50:20 AM »

Ok, I get it.  The Hiram Percy Maxim 135th birthday event, better known as HPM/135.  Yeah, this one's gonna tear up the bands.  Ten days of low-key exchanges of names and ARRL appointments that will in most ways resemble standard, everyday contacts.  Brutal.

I don't get it.  Either crybabies are complaining that ham radio is "dying," or there's too MUCH activity.  What the hell IS it with these guys?  Maybe we should just ban all activity from all bands.  Then there wouldn't be anything for hams to get upset about anymore.  All you introverted social misfits could sit down in your dark, dank basements and stew and fret about politics or religion or some damn thing BESIDES ham radio.

Dan, the good news is that in recent times medical science has made great strides in treating condtions like yours.  Unfortunately, the medications are only available by perscription.  See you doctor.

There's never been much love lost between the ARRL and myself, but I find that I'm becoming more sympathetic toward them.  It's gotta be tough when 99% of the people that they have to deal with are friggin' lunatics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: