Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just called Ten-Tec  (Read 9336 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »

Actually it's rarely a surprise to the public when a major company experiences financial difficulties.  All one has to do is pay attention to the various financial news sources (you know, The Nightly Business Report, Yahoo, Google, Reuters, etc) and you too will no longer be surprised.   Sure beats fear mongering. 

Vince
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »

Out of curiosity I've done some digging and found out the following:

1) Ten-Tec Inc is a privately held company and so it's more difficult to obtain financial information.

2) Number of employees varies from 52 to 75 depending on where you look, this is NOT a major operation and ham radio only forms part of their business.

3) I can find no information showing that Ten-Tec Inc are going out of business.

Tanakasan
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

"my brother in law worked for ten tec and left about a year ago."

That statement alone shows how unreliable his info is.

Don't know a thing about TT but I'm seeing very few small firms closing in my area of expertise even though the economy is terrible. I wish some of our competitors would close but almost none have. That's because there are few alternatives. It's not like the owners, engineers etc can easily move to something else.

Heck, I know lots of older owners who would have simply closed shop and retired, but they fear for their retirement nest egg and the liquidity and value of their home. So they work till they drop while making less and less money.

As long as a business has no debt and has avoided the insane pension liabilities that have plagued the auto sector, it can survive pretty awful times by laying off employees and working the others til they drop (my son will attest to that!).

BTW, I've requested that this thread be deleted. First time I've ever done such a thing. 
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »

yes and who would have thought circuit city, blockbuster, lucent, sears, kmart, bell labs, wetern electric, xerox and just yesterday a&p/pathmark and i can name ya 20 or 30 more, would go belly up - wake-up!!

the last people to know is the public. it happens all the time and when it does everyone is shocked. these were all great companys with great products and services. and by the way 900 million in cash is not alot of money for a company as big as tandy corp.

Sears and K-Mart???  Where did you get that nonsense?Huh Sears and K-Mart merged and both are very much still in business!!!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »

In order to stop this non-sense going on in this thread, I did exactly as someone suggested: I phoned Ten-Tec just moments ago.

I spoke with Stewart, who was surprised to hear that such a thread was even being produced in Eham.  I informed him it all started with a story about a Ten-Tec mug being sold at a garage sale and a rumor being circulated by the "muggie" that Ten-Tec was going under.

He then stated; "Why would we be coming out with a new rig if we were going under?"  I mentioned that someone else in that other thread stated the same thing.  He also stated that R&D is also going strong.

He said that sales for this new rig are unbelievable right now and they plan on being around for some time to come.

73, Bill - WA8MEA

Of course it was BS, the amaizng things ham come up with in relation to our SMALL market.

Sounds like someone was mad at Ten-tec and wanted to start a rumor. Well, eHam is where they all start.

A ham got mad at me since I wanted him to buy a support upgarde to the software yesterday, since the older software he had was from 2005 and his year of warrenty support was up (in 2006). We have free support s in the message board for those that dont want to buy the upgrade but before I could tell him about the free support, he hung up on me.  This is an older ham, in his 70's. It's like, c'mon, you didnt have to get all upset over software.

Im sure it was something else that was bothering him, but he took it out on me. Wink

K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »

Reckless and irresponsible to publish an unfounded rumor like this.

E-Ham owners should purge this and related threads from the system.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
WB4AUW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

I'd agree that this rumor should have never been posted. On the other hand I'm sure Ten Tec would volunteer on the phone that they are going out of business.
WB4AUW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

I, in no way think that Ten Tec is anything other than a strong, good business. I just think that it is naive to think that any business would tell you over the phone if they were going to fold. That was the only thing my comment was for. I expect them to be in business for many years to come. Chill out just a little.
FOXBAT426

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »

Amazing! I cannot believe what I am reading.The original post simply asked a question. I made no statement that Ten Tec was going out of business or am i spreading "false" rumors. I simply asked a question. At this point, after reading the responses to this thread, I'm sorry i even mentioned this. I love Ten Tec as a company and own Ten Tec equipment. They are simply the best and they represent the best in American business and product. I simply shared with this forum (company reviews) what had happened to me at a garage sale and if you still don't believe me fine, flame away. I will lay my life on it.

When i heard this information my initial reaction was that this guy's brother-in-law is either a disgruntled worker or maybe it could be true??. Anyone else would have thought the same. I was well aware at the time that Ten Tec had just released the Eagle and found this information very odd. I asked no questions other than asking out loud "who's the ham" after i saw the Ten Tec mug on the table. All information was volunteered to me by the owner of the home who's garage sale I was at. I was even offered the mug for free when i was leaving the garage sale (more jokes?), but refused it. That's the story, that's what happened. Let's move on.
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »

My first question of Foxbat is, "are you a ham?" If so why are you hiding behind a non-discript alias?

Don KO7i
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »

I find it interesting that several posts have been deleted, including two of mine.

That is disturbing!

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:56 AM »

I find it interesting that several posts have been deleted, including two of mine.

That is disturbing!

I'm not a bit surprised...the Moderators see where this thread has headed and have taken action.

Lets remember that this is the Holiday Season, and try to be nice to each other (you know, Peace on
Earth, good Will To Men, etc..)

73 to All, and to all a good night (and day)

C
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »

MAYBE he said,his brother in law was working ON a TEN TEC & left it along about a year ago because it was NOT his business & he misunderstood him? He did say he was OLD! }:>) TEN TEC? What the heck is a TEN TEC anyway? I am NOT operating no UGLY RADIOS & TEN TEC is FOR SURE at the TOP of that list! ICOM RULES!

Clayton
W4KVW
PROUD TO BE AN ALL "ICOM" HAM RADIO USER! }:>)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:41:35 PM by Clayton Yarbrough » Logged
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

P.T. Barnum was correct.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:13 PM »

I can't wait for Ten-tec to come out with a SDR radio that doesn't need a PC to operate ! Take a look at this SDR kit that uses a Ten-tec box www.sdr-cube.com
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: