The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to handle license discrepancy in SS  (Read 2193 times)
KF3EH

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2004, 07:10:02 PM »

Hey all!

Got a somewhat odd question for you all.  A friend and myself have decided to maybe team up for the upcoming phone Sweepstakes.  His call, WA7IXG, Extra Class, mine NW7JU, Advanced class.  Because of the shorter length, it  would be nice to use my callsign in the contest, but that  would limit us to use of the Advanced bands only, no ability to drop down into the Extra class segments without having to sign "NW7JU, WA7IXG control", correct?

How would you guys handle a situation like this - use the call of the highest class operator?   Or maybe, if both of you were in a club with a club call, secure permission for use of the club call for the contest (not possible in this situation).

Jeremy, NW7JU
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 05:03:16 AM »

If you wish to use the Extra class portions, use the higher class call sign.

You have to use the same call sign designation throughout the contest so if you use the xxxx/yyyy in the Extra portion of the band, you'd have to use it in all portions of the band.  So that would mean using the long combination call throughout the contest even in the General & Advanced segments.  This then means you won't be able to take advantage of the shorter call unless you decide ahead of time to stick exclusively to the General & Advanced segments.

As an advanced class operator, you only miss 25khz each on 15m, 20m, and 80m for the voice portion of the Sweepstakes.  This isn't a handicap if you "camp" on a frequency and call CQ.  It's a small handicap if you use the "search and pounce" technique exclusively.

Either way, have fun.

N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »

Maybe I'm way out of touch with 'things' in Part 97 these days, but as I recall the Station License part of a call permits the owning of a transmiting station. The Operator  License defines the privileges.  If that be so [still]...You should be able to use the call of your choice, and the OPERATOR will only 'operate' in the spectrum HE is licensed for.  That's what I'd do...period. I know that is the Spirit of the Law...
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 12:52:22 PM »

The problem arises in using the Advanced class call in the Extra portion of the band.  You must have an Extra class licensee as the control op and must identify in such a manner as to indicate that there is indeed an Extra class control operator (i.e. his call sign must be included as part of the ID - xxxx/yyyy).

However, if they use the Extra class operator's call sign then the Extra class control operator has to be present when operating in the Extra class portions but no additional or special identification is required.

So the options boil down to this:

1) Use the Extra class operator's call to have freedom of the band but note that the Extra class operator must be physically present when operating in the Extra portion of the bands.

2) Use the Advanced class operator's call and forego using the Extra class only portions.

3) Use the combined call for the contest.  The Extra class licensee must still be physically present when operating in the Extra class portion of the bands.  And for the purposes of the contest, only one form of identification is allowed so the combined call would have to be used throughout the contest no matter what portion of the band is being used.

Option 3 is much too cumbersome.

KF3EH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 11:02:52 PM »

Yeah, had it actually happened that we got to team up for sweeps, I would have bitten the bullet and used his extra-class call for the contest - man, I hate 2x3's!  We're still talking about teaming up for the 10m contest, where the license class won't make a difference, and will probably use the shorter call there.

Hopefully before long I'll pass my Extra, and won't have to worry about it anymore - studying for it now.

Jeremy, NW7JU
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 03:31:38 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong here. While the call is issued to an Advanced Class Op, if the log shows operation was actually done by an Extra Class Op....where is the harm in the 'Group' using the 'Advanced Class Call'....and the Extra Op working anywhere HE is authorized to work?

Am I incorrect in my previous post regarding Station License and Operator (Privilege Limiting) License ?

By the way, I never heard either call during my collection of 100 Q's...   [SSB  Sweepstakes is harder to work than CW S/S}

DM
KF3EH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 09:55:16 PM »

We never actually got to team up.  My friend was unable to get his station set up at his new QTH in time.

The problem is, since NW7JU is an advanced class call, any operation in the extra class segments MUST be identified to show that an extra-class operator is the control operator of the station, usually by means of something like "NW7JU, AA7AA control".  Soon, it would be a non-issue for me, since I'm working on upgrading to Extra class now, hoping to take the test next month.

Jeremy, NW7JU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: