YAESU FT-450AT OPERATION ON THE 60 METER BAND

(1/1)

Barry Brand:
Hello, I have a Yaesu FT-450AT transceiver. I have owned this excellent radio for just a short time. It works great on all the Ham bands, except I can not get it to transmitt on the 60 meter band amateur radio channels. It shows TX error. I can not find any information about this in their manual. I know it can transmitt on the Alaska Emergency frequency of 5167.5 KHZ and has a set up for this. If anyone out there knows how to set this radio for operation on the 60 meter ham band, It would sure be appreciated. I would also like to know if maybe it does not transmitt on this frequency just receive. The manual states it should operate on all the ham bands from 160 thru 6 meters. The only one I can not get to work is the 60 meter band.

Thanks,
73s
K2OWK

:
The FT-450 and FT-450AT versions do not TX on 60M in stock form.

A quick search for a mod yielded this -

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=21235

However, I would check with Yaesu to see if there's a 60m mod or if there is anything in the design of the radio that precludes 60m operation.  There is likely a good reason they didn't include it.  Some rigs have bandpass filters that will try to self destruct on 60M.

Attempt the mod at your own risk and remember that amateur operators are only permitted to use an ERP of 50 W PEP and must use USB mode only.

Take a look at the ARRL band plan for more details on 60m operation.

Good Luck

Charles P. Cohen:

The FT-450 and FT-450AT versions do not TX on 60M in stock form.

THAT IS NOT TRUE.   At least, not for the US version of the rig.

Put the rig into MEMORY mode.  Press the "DSP" button until there's no ">" showing on the DSP-options display.

Turn the DSP/SEL knob to the left, past memory location 1.  You'll find _factory-set_ memory locations "US5-001" through "US-5-005".   

Those memory locations are the 60m band authorized channels.

Charles

Barry Brand:
Thanks Charles, I had a feeling that is was available on this transceiver. It seams that it works the same way as the Alaska emergency frequency setting. I had assumed that if the transmitter worked on that frequency it would work on the 60 meter channels in a similar fashion.

N5VTU, I am very familiar with operation on the 60 meter channels. I have been a Ham radio operator for more then 50 years and keep up with the latest Ham Radio Frequency use and technology. The the Yaesu transceiver can be adjusted from QRP to 100 watts, so operating at 50 watts or less on USB is no problem. I just needed to know if I could access these channels, and how to do it as the instructions do not appear to mention how (unless I missed something). I now have the information I need.

Thanks,
73s
K2OWK

Navigation

[0] Message Index