Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Radio, Inc. = EXCELLENT!  (Read 24429 times)
K3ZOR

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »

I have bought a few odds and ends over the years from Universal Radio and this week bought a new Yaesu FT-450 from them.

I called them on Monday (12/13/2010) and spoke to their salesman Ron. Ron was very courteous and helpful, even went to their loading dock to check if an FT-450 just came in. The radio was shipped when Ron said it would be and it arrived at my door when he said it would. The packing was excellent as well. The FT-450 is on the small side (9"x3.3"x8.5") and I was surprized when it arrived in a box that was 16x16x18. The shipping box had plenty of styrofoam peanuts packed all around the FT-450's factory box to protect it and it arrived in perfect condition.

Also, Universal has one of the best websites if you want to look at excellent pictures of not only current production radios, but discontinued models as well. If you are looking to buy any radio related gear, check out Universal Radio. I for one am a very happy customer.

Jim / K3ZOR
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »

I'm not quite as happy as Jim. I ordered a Yaesu SP2000 as a Christmas gift because they had the lowest price of anyone I had checked. I received an order confirmation email right away, saying it would ship in the next 3 business days (it was a Thursday) and that i would get another email confirming shipping and tracking info. So I figured by the following Tuesday I would receive that email - it never came. I waited until Friday and then sent an email asking for the status of my order. The following Tuesday I received a reply to that email saying it was backordered and that I was sent a backorder notice, which I never received. It also said that the speaker had just come in and it would be shipped in the next day or two. I waited till that Friday and STILL did not receive the email confirming shipping. So, the next Monday I wrote again, only to be told that my backorder had been "overlooked" and that it would be processed right away.

I am still waiting!! I hope it gets here in time.

I will not use Univerasl Radio again.

KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »

I have never used Univeral Radio for mail order as they are less than 35 minutes from my front door. They have a nice showroom and they have a large selection of items in stock, I have spend a couple thousand dollars there in the last couple years and have always been treated with the utmost respect. Please remember this is a small shop compared to AES and HRO with limited staff, but they are good at what they do. I plan on buying a new rig from them very soon, and again, I will drive over and buy it in the showroom.

To the OP, you should enjoy the 450, I bought one, from Universal and love it.
K0SBV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »

Over the years I have made more than a dozen purchases from Universal, everyting from transceivers to coax. I did experience some issues on one of the purchases, but Fred and his employees stepped up right away and addressed the issue to my satisfaction. I will continue to think of them as my supplier by choice.
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »

UNIVERSAL RADIO IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST PLACE I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH FOR RADIO EQUIPMENT. WHEN I CALLED I WAS KEPT WAITING ON THE LINE ON HOLD FOR 20 MINUTES JUST TO GET A SHIPPING PRICE BECAUSE THE WEBSITE WOULDN'T PROVIDE IT. IT TAKES A SEPORATE EMAIL. I HUNG UP AND CALLED BACK AND WAS ON HOLD ANOTHER 15 MINUTES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. THEN AFTER GETTING THAT ANSWER; THEY CALLED MY HOUSE TWICE TO TELL ME THINGS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD WITH THE FIRST CALL ABOUT THEIR SHIPPING. THEN THEY CALL TO TELL ME ONE OF THE ITEMS I ORDERD WAS NOT AVAILABLE. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEIR DOING. Fact is now I will never order anyhting from Universal Radio. Their reputation for service to their prospective customers is extremely poor.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:01:01 PM by N2WEC » Logged
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »

I have purchased many items from Universal. Their website is the BEST as it gives excellent descriptions and pictures of the items, even discontinued products. Their prices are good but don't be in a hurry to receive your order.  It may take a while and many times things are back ordered.  They have an excellent selections of misc. parts like connectors, wire, cable, insulators, etc.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »

You may have seen my comments on Universal before, but I am posting again. I was in the market for another HF rig, one to use in the car. I was going to buy a rig off a member on this board but the funds did not become avaliable and I had a smaller check than I should have due to processing issues at the place I was getting it from, so I had to spend less for what I wanted. I checked Universals site and seen they had a used rig I wanted, so I went into the store yesterday, looked at it and it looked great, told them I would take it, got the counter and just casully asked of the price was the best they could do, they looked at a card (they have one for each used item) to see what they had in it, and they knocked $50 bucks off the price just for asking. Great service.

Draw back, I asked about an inexpensive auto tuner and a digital interface for the radio. They tried to sell me one of the more expensive tuners by saying it was one of the only ones that would work with this radio which I knew better. As for the digital interface they said there is nothing on the market so I would have to make one, I am not believing that for a moment.
KJ4ZGC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »

I will never waste my time with these clowns again!  I ordered an antenna and mount for my truck on a Monday,never received any tracking info,i called them the following Monday to ask if it had shipped yet, and it hadn't so i told them i wanted to cancel the order and i would take my business elsewhere. I was then told i had to call back in an hour to cancel , which i promptly did.  I ordered the equivalent items from DX engineering and they shipped the same day   
DW1NPE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

I am a regular client of Universal Radios, They have a good on-line website but their customer service have a very poor service on communicating with their clients. They never advice customers if they run out of stock on the ordered items and you need to follow up and wait for weeks to get a response from them. Expect 2-3 weeks delay when purchasing your items with Universal Radios or might as well use RL electronics or HRO.
N3JPB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:38 AM »

I am now 70, work full time as an engineer and have recently gotten back into "amateur radio" at the suggestion of My Beautiful Bride (XYL).  "You don't spend enough time with your buddies and when is the last time you bought yourself a new toy?"

Live near Pittsburgh.  AES - Cleveland is a 2 hours drive for me and I occasionally buy from them, they are good (too bad they no longer do repair on-site).  Universal is in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, (a 3 hour drive for me) and they are the PEOPLE I have purchased most of my new gear from.  I LIKE THESE PEOPLE and sometimes I recruit one of my Ham buddies and just drive down there to pick something up and do a little face-to-face QSO (call ahead to be sure they have it on the shelf - tell them you will pick it up and they will put it on the "will-call" shelf with your name on it).  The showroom is always very interesting (you might even make a new furry friend) and these PEOPLE take the time to talk with you - you will never be rushed by these PEOPLE.  When I bought my "feature rich, menu rich" Yaesu FT-950 (with all the accessories), Universal's PEOPLE "invested" a couple of hours in teaching me how to use it.  EVERY experience that I have had at Universal Radio has been fun for me - yes, humans are not perfect and sometimes there may be a communication problem wherever you go.  My wife and daughter always know that when they cannot think of a gift for me they can always give me a Universal Radio gift certificate.  Did I mention that I LIKE THESE PEOPLE? -de N3JPB
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:10:56 AM by N3JPB » Logged
KF5JOT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »

I'm not very happy with Universal right now. I ordered an antenna on 2 Jan. I called them on the 8th as I had not seen a shipping notification. I was told that they were on back order and would be in by the 24th. Called on the 25th and was told they did not come in but should soon and to check back this week. Called this morning and was told that they were not in and they had no clue on when it was going to come in from the vendor as the vendor was out and had been for several weeks now.  So, I called the vendor as they have a direct outlet. Yep they have the antenna in stock, and they had not had any ordered in several weeks and there was no problem in shipping one out. Took my info and told me the order had already been processed while we were tallking and would go out today and I should have it in hand on Tuesday. Called Universal back and cancelled my order with them. Don't know why they would b.s. a customer like this if they want business. I'd rather deal with a company that admitted that they screwed up over one that just slings something out to get the customer off the phone. Will I ever try to buy from them again? Maybe, but right now I don't think so unless it's something that I can only find there.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:12 AM »

I stopped dealing with Universal Radio a few years ago because of their poor customer service.  They have a decent website, but use it for browsing only.  When ready to purchase, go somewhere else such as HRO.

K3ZKH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »

Let me lend my voice to the chorus decrying Universal Radio!  I place an Internet order for a $100 product.  No email response, no notice of having received the order.  After three days I call:  "Did you get my order?"  "Oh, yes."  "Well, when will it be shipped?  Is it even in stock?" I ask.  "No," came the haughty response. "The website did not make notice of the fact," I note to myself.  "When will it be in?" I query.  "In about a month."  I need it before that time and I ask to cancel the order.  I request an email confirmation.  I am assured they have my email address and will send me a confirmation of cancellation.  Three days later still no confirmation.  So:  1) no indication of out-of-stock on the website 2) no communication that it was out-of-stock after the Internet order 3) not even the integrity to respond with the promised confirmation of a cancellation.  You call that decency?  This company is rude, arrogant and inept. Not worthy of amateur radio.  Period.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:23:21 AM »

Universal uses an archaic inventory system- so when you order something on their website they actually have to download the info every night to the computers at their store and process the orders then. So if they don't get to it that night you will probably be waiting at least a day to even hear anything. So it's better to just call them to order things in the morning. That way you can talk to a person and figure out if what you want is in stock, because if you order something on the web that is backordered they will usually never bother to tell you about it. Your order just goes into some black hole.

They have good prices on a lot of things but they just aren't interested in competing with DXE/HRO/AES as far as same day service and internet sales.

ex W4HFK
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »

I'm glad to hear a few of you have had good experiences with Universal. I would have to echo the comments of others in regard to the inefficient way they handle online transactions. I recently ordered an item on Sunday evening and I didn't get an email acknowledgement until I called the store to inquire 3 days later. The email arrived later in the day containing an order number and indicated that they shipped with USPS 1st class that morning... but no tracking information was provided. I called the store to ask for a tracking number and the person on the phone told me the postal service doesn't offer tracking for their packages!!! - Well anyone that's shopped on the internet in the past knows that's not an accurate statement. Enough said. The people who answer the phone are nice but unfortunately, I think I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future. Universal doesn't seem to be equipped to handle the online ordering or shipping processes very well. Hopefully they will improve going forward.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: