Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 12695 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »

I never cease to be amazed at the number of hams who post about getting items stolen that they can't afford to replace or have special value to them, but evidently never gave a thought about buying insurance to cover their radio gear.

Then again, no one is going to pay off on an HT laying on a vehicle seat or on top of the dash.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »

I never cease to be amazed at the number of hams who post about getting items stolen that they can't afford to replace or have special value to them, but evidently never gave a thought about buying insurance to cover their radio gear.

It is amazing, and why? Just to save a few bucks?
Also pay for the "Adult Signature Required" if it isn't
already required with an insured shipment. (Different services have
different policies.) I have had "Insured" packages left on my doorstep
or in my mailbox.

Sometimes a buyer will say "Well then, ship it to me at work if
you're going to need a signature". Fine. Then I also include
"Restricted Delivery". That way ONLY the receiver can sign
for it (USPS requires a photo ID for Restricted) and not some
kid on the dock signing an indecipherable squiggle on it and filching it.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:58:05 AM »

After checking with the my homeownwers insurance provider, I was able to cover all my equipment by making an itemized list and taking some pictures. Just like we did with all the wife's jewelry. And the cost was minimal.

Or if you are a member of the ARRL, you can get insurance through them.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

-Jay
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:51:09 PM »

The largest insurance company in the US is State Farm. Their home owners, and auto insurance cover up to $5k for loss of radio equipment. The only caveat, you have to tell them you have it before it is lost!

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »

Some insurance companies, like mine, will cover stolen radio equipment if it is permanently installed in the vehicle. Otherwise, you have to make a claim on your homeowner's insurance (yes, my homeowners insurance covers that as well). Don't wait to ask after you buy the insurance, ask before! I find that most people stay with the same company from habit, even though their premium continues to rise every year and they exclude coverage an almost everything! Remember, your insurance expires every year so check with other companies to make sure your getting the most coverage for the least amount of money and that any deductible will at least cover part of the loss!  Wink

State Farm and Allstate had to be sued to get them to pay for thousands of homes destroyed by hurricanes in Florida. Insurance companies are not your friend, so don't treat them like one. Insurance is one of the poorest investments that you can make in life. Being careful is one of the best (and least expensive) investments you can make. Either install your mobile equipment so it is hard to see or buy older equipment that no one wants and or you can afford to lose  Grin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:17:40 AM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:51 PM »

"State Farm and Allstate had to be sued to get them to pay for thousands of homes destroyed by hurricanes in Florida. Insurance companies are not your friend, so don't treat them like one. Insurance is one of the poorest investments that you can make in life."

I totally agree and NC Farm Bureau is not any better.  I had to complain to the NC Insurance Commission to get any action out of their 20-something smart-azz punk adjusters.  Hams are much better off to buy a separate insurance policy such as what the ARRL offers.  Your home owners insurance may cover your loss, but then cancel your policy if you make a few small claims.  They don't like to be bothered with small issues such as a valid claim.  BTW, I informed NCFB of my radio gear beforehand, and even paid extra to make sure it was covered. 
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »

I have homeowner's plus also have ham insurance from Ham Radio Insurance Associates.  Yeah is costs money but I can go to work thinking our stuff is protected.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K3RMX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »

Your local postal service must be a whole lot better than mine.

As to the USPS requiring a photo ID to deliver a certified letter marked "restricted delivery" (and for which they charge extra), I have sent hundreds of such letters, and in more than half the time, the mail carrier just has whomever is available sign for it.  Unfortunately, for my purposes, that does me no good at all.  If you want to take the time and effort to complain, they will eventually refund the extra charge for the restricted delivery request.

Steve
k3rmx
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:12 AM »

My equipment is insured with http://www.hamradioinsurance.com/.
NA4IT
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »

Ask your agent for what they call a "inland marine" policy and if he is been around he will know what it is. It is a stand alone rider for anything you want and not very expensive either. I have had them in past when they were not under house/car coverage blanket.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:24:31 PM »

I have been with State farm for over 25 years. They can NOT match what the ARRL offers for scheduled ham equipment: $1.50 per $100 evaluation, current-day replacement cost, $50 deductible per incident.

If you "think" your mobile equipment is covered under homeowners insurance or auto insurance ... or your repeater in the back yard ... or your handhelds - you are probably wrong. Very few policies cover such equipment - without the insurance company having a list of equipment and serial numbers and you remembering to schedule such equipment with them.

Best advice? Ask. And take the ARRL's premium info with you to compare.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 05:18:55 AM »

In not so many words, does the thought "It will never happen to me" ring any bells?  Or simply not considering the thought of it happening at all?   Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: