Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal refunding  (Read 1184 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

So....bottom line....is their a time limit before a person can go from DISPUTE to filing a CLAIM?

73, Bill

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:23:44 PM by Bill Lauterbach » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »

Bill, I'd try to do exactly that, and I send a copy to PayPal.

WB6RLC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »

If you don't have the antenna in hand, do NOT issue a refund. Email him and tell him that once you have received the antenna and have inspected it for damage you will issue a refund. That should give you time to get your financial ducks in a row to issue a refund.

If I remember right, to get to the “refund” button, it’s at the bottom of the “view transaction” link for that specific transaction.

Off hand, I don’t think filing a claim would lock up the account. They usually ask if you have emailed and tried to come to an agreement. EBay may ask for  copies of the emails etc.

Then again, some customers are just a pain and there is nothing on Gods green Earth that you can do to please them. You will just have to deal with it.

Glenn
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:05:56 PM »

If I remember correctly your customer needs to dispute the item to get a refund (eBay policy?)

eBay will not lock up your account.

However, they insist that funds come from your PayPal account, or an xfer of funds from your bank.

eBay will not finalise the dispute until you have received the item.

Merry Christmas from Tucson AZ
Bob
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »

So....bottom line....is their a time limit before a person can go from DISPUTE to filing a CLAIM?

73, Bill

Bill, in my recent experience, Paypal will lock the account to secure the funds once a dispute is filed. It does not need to be raised to a claim, they will lock it even if there hasn't been sufficient time for the goods to be returned.

Then I found there transactions to try and top the account up failed, and it took about 5 days to unlock the account.

Remember, Paypal favours the buyer, whether the claim is reasonably based or not, whether the goods are returned or not.

No point writing to them, it is a black hole and they don't care if there are defects in the IT systems.

Owen
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

If you don't have the antenna in hand, do NOT issue a refund. Email him and tell him that once you have received the antenna and have inspected it for damage you will issue a refund. ...
  Then again, some customers are just a pain and there is nothing on Gods green Earth that you can do to please them. You will just have to deal with it....

I couldn't agree more. As a small business owner myself, I understand your 'panic' about chargebacks, etc., but these things happen to us too and we've worked through them all.

We've dealt with PayPal and several credit card companies in a handful of disputes (one or two initiated by us because the customer initially claimed he didn't purchase it from us) over the years, and as long as you communicate and be reasonable, they are on your side.

We've gradually migrated to PayPal and they are now our only payment processor. They did lock a portion of funds once in the past, but that hasn't happened in a long time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:50:20 PM by Mike Waters » Logged

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:57:40 PM »

... Remember, Paypal favours the buyer, whether the claim is reasonably based or not, whether the goods are returned or not. ...

Maybe it depends on how much business you do with them. I'm not calling you a liar, Owen; we've heard experiences like that and feared the worst, but have been very pleasantly surprised after the first customer complaint. They have been a joy to work with, even their tech support. Perhaps we've established some kind of record of being customer-friendly with them, I don't know. Not to mention that their rates and fees to us are amazingly low.

Maybe they don't like Australians. :-)

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:09:32 AM »

It also depends on the record of both the buyer and the seller.  It's true that Paypal favors the buyer, but if the buyer has had a checkered record and the sellers record is clean, they will seek proof from the buyer before they do anything.  Such proof is usually shipment tracking records--they want proof that the item has been returned.

And, yes, there is usually a time delay before paypal 'locks' an account to insure the payment can be refunded.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:36:53 AM »

Let us know.

VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »

Wow, what a piece of work.  In addition to having a post office official witness the "unveiling" I probably would have taken photos to cover my backside completely.

Refund this idiot's money and be done with it.  Chalk this one up to experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: