Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM CT-17 schematic  (Read 6634 times)
KD4SBY

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »

Does anyone has the circuit diagram of the ICOM CT-17? I like to build a simple one to one unit for an IC-718. No need for multiple radios. Yes, I know I can buy one, or even an inexpensive substitute for one,  but I have so many parts that it is possible that I might have the items I need to build one myself without having to lay out anything.  Grin I just have to know what to build.
Do I have it right that it is basically just a (Open Collector)TTL to RS232 converter?
Any comments/suggestions?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »

Does anyone has the circuit diagram of the ICOM CT-17? I like to build a simple one to one unit for an IC-718. No need for multiple radios. Yes, I know I can buy one, or even an inexpensive substitute for one,  but I have so many parts that it is possible that I might have the items I need to build one myself without having to lay out anything.  Grin I just have to know what to build.
Do I have it right that it is basically just a (Open Collector)TTL to RS232 converter?

Not quite: the CI-V bus is bidirectional.

Any comments/suggestions?

See the Home-brew Interfaces section in http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom

Dave, AA6YQ
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 06:37:59 AM »

Thanks Dave. That was the information I was looking for. I was right, I have the all the parts needed to construct either one of the interfaces published. Will start building one and
like to try to use it with Ham Radio DeLuxe, sounds like fun using that.
Bernie.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:57:14 PM »

First, I think Radio Shack sells one for programming their scanners.

I have a lot of success with various 'breakout' boards from Sparkfun.com.  They make several that work well.  One is about $15, and uses an FTDI RL232 chip to convert USB to RS232, ttl.  Just connect the TX and RX together and a ground, add a cable and 1/8 mono plug for HF, or stereo plug (grnd and ring) for their VHF/UHF rigs. Oh, ueah, you'll need a USB cable to connect to the computer.  Get a cable to match the USB connector on the Breakout board.  These things are fun.

...bc
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »

Update - I build the circuit from Nigel Thompson (QST 7/92) but it does not work with HRD. I can see with a scope the RS232 pulses going into the DATA lead of the ICOM 718, but nothing is coming back out. Any one knows how to trouble shoot the link? Like using a Terminal Program and typing codes to send out and looking if the radio responds? The required codes are in the manual, problem is, I do not quite know what kind of sequencing is required. Anyone knows how to do it? Huh
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »

Update - I build the circuit from Nigel Thompson (QST 7/92) but it does not work with HRD. I can see with a scope the RS232 pulses going into the DATA lead of the ICOM 718, but nothing is coming back out. Any one knows how to trouble shoot the link? Like using a Terminal Program and typing codes to send out and looking if the radio responds? The required codes are in the manual, problem is, I do not quite know what kind of sequencing is required. Anyone knows how to do it? Huh

The circuit is a bidirectional level converter between RS-232 voltages (+12 VDC, -12 VDC) and TTL voltages (+5 VDC, 0 VDC). The CI-V protocol is classic asynchronous: a start bit, followed by 8 data bits, followed by one or two stop bits.

If you built the circuit to use the RTS and/or DTR modem control signals as power supplies, make sure HRD is configured to assert them. If that's not it, check your wiring, and verify that the transistors and diodes were not damaged by excess heat during construction.

Dave, AA6YQ
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

Like I said, I can see the pulses send by the HRD at the 718 input, but the radio is not responding. That means that at least the receiving part of the circuit is working. I do not think that anything in the setup of the 718 affects its remote operation other than the baudrate and address and that is set for automatic detection and the addr. default of 5E.
IMHO the only way to trouble shoot it is to open up the radio and trace  through its input circuits, something I have to think about. I have the schematic, but not the layout of the boards, what would have been helpfull. Without it, it will be much more difficult.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »

Like I said, I can see the pulses send by the HRD at the 718 input, but the radio is not responding. That means that at least the receiving part of the circuit is working. I do not think that anything in the setup of the 718 affects its remote operation other than the baudrate and address and that is set for automatic detection and the addr. default of 5E.
IMHO the only way to trouble shoot it is to open up the radio and trace  through its input circuits, something I have to think about. I have the schematic, but not the layout of the boards, what would have been helpfull. Without it, it will be much more difficult.

The CI-V bus is routed to your transceiver's microprocessor; unless a bus receiver is fried or an etch is open, tracing through the radio's circuits won't get you very far.

I would avoid automatic baud rate detection. Select a baud rate (e.g. 9600) in the radio, and make sure HRD is configured for the same baud rate. The word length should be 8, and I'd start with 2 stop bits, though Icom radios work fine with 1 stop bit.

Dave, AA6YQ
KD4SBY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »

I have tried to fix the baudrate to 1200, NP,8 Bit,1 Stop, - (1200 so that I could see it clearly on the scope,) with no luck.  As far as the routing is concerned, I agree, looking at the schematic I see that the Micro is connected through IC 103 (CVIN) and Q102 (Dual Transistor - In and OUT) to the jack. So I could trace any signals at those points to see if the signals at least reach the Micro and if so, if there is any response.
But like I said, I hate to open the radio and start probing into it. The HRD is nice, but I really have not any need for it. I thought it would be just fun to use it.
So, for the time being, I just leave it alone. Thanks fellows for your responses. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: