Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing a Holiday Just for Contesters.  (Read 722 times)
N8CPA

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2004, 06:38:18 AM »

Sweepstakes is just around the corner.  As are CQWW, 160M, 10M, etc.  Is your antenna farm ready?  Mine sure isn't!  So, I'm going to host an Oktennafest.

I'm going to get the whole ham family together to ensure a supply of go-fors and assistants to help with antenna maintenance tasks.  As the hams help me with the antenna farm, our ladies will kaffeeklatcsch, scrapbook, play card and board games, watch chick flicks, etc. Of course, everyone will enjoy a sumptuous feast of BBQ foods and picnic fare.  And after the antenna work is done and test QSOs have been made, we'll tap the keg!

So if you're watching the calendar, wondering how you're ever going to get your antennas ready for the coming contest season, why not have an Oktennafest of your own?  

Happy Oktennafest and CU in SS!
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:16:44 AM »

Spoken like somebody who still has good weather!  On the other hand it sounds like fun...  Too bad I'm so far from Eight-Land...
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 02:26:02 AM »

Whether it's cold
Whether it's hot
Whether it's dry
Whether it's slop
Antennas need mainetenance
Good weather or not.

The old aphorism about putting antennas up in the worst weather has a ring of truth.  I helped my nephew put up his first ourdoor antenna several years ago, at about this time of year. Both temps and winds felt like 25.  The antennas went up, regardless--and they are still up!  He has also since added a Hexbeam to his garage roof.

And all I have is an omni-ineffective (supposedly) vertical that I've had for 10 years, and a sloppy homemade VEE I put up two years ago.  That was the last time I had the tower down.  I've delayed long enough.  So...I'll dress as I need to and get it done.      
KI4CYB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:07:56 AM »

I feel your pain,  Its hard working outside on ones antennas in Florida's year round 90 deg weather..  Lemonade anyone?  Hehehehe

73 - KI4CYB
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:35:46 AM »

<< I feel your pain, Its hard working outside on ones antennas in Florida's year round 90 deg weather..  >>

That's why you Floridians have such marginal signals.

Don't you know that the forward gain of an antenna increases by 3dB for every 5 degrees below freezing when the antenna is originally installed? <g>

KI4CYB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 06:31:27 AM »

Maybe the problem is not Floridians but 3-Land related... <g>

73 - KI4CYB
W3JXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 12:21:29 PM »

Antennas just work better when you skin sticks to the cold metal. Also if it stays up all winter, it was too small.
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 07:26:30 AM »

JXP, I think you got a point there.  If you want your monster antenna to work, you gotta feed it human flesh and blood. That's how the ancient Spartans tempered new swords.  Maybe antennas need such baptisms as well.
W5GNB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 06:30:03 AM »

How about restricting this contest activity to the 11-Meter band where it BELONGS!!

GET a LIFE people!!

I think I will go FISHING and leave the HT at home this time!!

73's
Gary - W5GNB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: