Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best place to mount long Diamond 2Meter antenna on a pickup?  (Read 5389 times)
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »

For the original poster, GREAT!!!  Good choice on the NMO 150.  Yes, you will have a small amount of loss with the magnet mount, but you will be shocked by the performance.  The NMO150 is (IMO) the best VHF mobile antenna around.  Thousand and thousands of them are in service all over the world on every type of vehicle, and they have been for decades.

As for KC8IUR,  I would certainly go with the roof mounting.  The article Alan posted was great.  I think folks put huge emphasis on antenna size and gain, before location.  An antenna that actually has higher gain (most are truly hyped up advertising points), but mounted in a crappy location, does not make up for the mounting.  Will it work?  SURE, but how well?  I do not want to go through the hassle or expense of installing antennas in my vehicles if I am only going to get lackluster performance. 

I would certainly get the antenna on the roof. 

Brad
N3CSA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »

Yeah, today was my first real test of the NMO150.  Heard some repeaters I almost never hear, and talked some simplex for quite a ways when traveling today.  I'm very happy with it.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »

Yeah, today was my first real test of the NMO150.  Heard some repeaters I almost never hear, and talked some simplex for quite a ways when traveling today.  I'm very happy with it.

Congratulations! Sometimes less is more.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »

I agree with the quarter wave in the center or the roof, especially if you are in the mountains. However, if I had recommended this first, as I did before, I would have been attacked from all sides.  Shocked
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:30:08 PM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 07:11:14 AM »

I worked for 20 years testing Automotive antennas/systems and there is ONE and only One place that really works and that is the ROOF. The performance of these so called wonder antennas goes to pot when you mount on the rear bumper (worst place) for UHF and VHF. Look at 1000's of commerical systems and where are their antennas mounted/the roof. There is a very good reason for
 this. Why Is it the new Ham cannot understand proven theroy, the same goes with current fed verticals and the need for a good RF ground systems. We Rag on this over and over, read/purchase a good Antenna Handbook instead of asking these questions.IMHO Denny K8KAS 73
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »

Absolutely!

KJ4ADN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »

Center of the roof, drill the hole and you'll be HEARING as good as your signal gets out.
Within a week of buying my 2010 Subaru - BRAND NEW - I mounted antennas on the roof, 2m/70cm and HF mount for bigger stuff.  Even with this small car, very small ground plane, I've been able to talk & HEAR mobile on 40m with 100 watts, not a big deal.

Did I reduce the value of the car?   Who cares?!   For the HF antennas, I even drilled through the cross rail on the roof rack (it's insulated from the roof), to provide extra support, and it's looking good and working great.   If this reduced the value of the car $100, I'd be surprised - because over the last 40 years, virtually 100% of my mobile antennas have been thru-the-roof.  I've never had anyone say, "gee, that antenna mount on the roof, knock off $3000 for that!"....  more like, "nice work, it's all set for a CB radio!"  - ouch!

If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em - period.   Anywhere but the best place on the vehicle is bound to leave you with nulls, reduced receive, funky transmit patterns, and worst of all, RF where you don't want it - INSIDE the vehicle.  K0BG knows what he's talking about, and he's barely scratched the surface!

Bill - KJ4ADN
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: