Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the outrage??  (Read 1128 times)
K0RS

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2004, 05:57:24 AM »

OK, folks..

We just had a major contest last weekend, one of the 6 or 7 biggees of the year, the CQ WPX.

Howcum I haven't seen a single rant advocating banning contesting cuz the bands were "unusable?"  Or at least quarantining those lousy contesters to some reservation 10 kHz wide?

C'mon you guys are falling down on the job.

Could it be cuz there was plenty of room for casual QSO's in the top of each band? (Which there was.)

Could it be cuz the WARC bands were virtually empty? (Which they were.)

Or could it be cuz it was a (gulp!) CW contest and we only rise to righteous indignation when we can't use "our" frequency on 20 or 75m SSB?

Or perhaps it was cuz you didn't even notice?

Hmmmmm?

Damn those inconsiderate, frequency stealing contesters, anyway.  They slipped one past you and you missed your chance to whine.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 06:38:46 AM »

It's  because all the lids operate SSB only.  Yeah, there are some who claim to be digital gurus because they baught a rigblaster and transmit wide signals on PSK31 but they are really just phone lids.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 07:54:24 PM »

because complaints fall on deaf ears...

I played PSK31, and any CW op that wanted to migrate into the "digital area", I figured was fair game.
NL7GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 06:22:52 AM »

I'm am glad to hear that everyone employed Amateur radio operating standards, and used the bands for their respective purposes with skill and courtesy.
BUFFOON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:18:01 AM »

"fair game" for what? deliberate jamming?

How refreshing...
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 08:41:12 AM »

Gee...  a thread with almost every post bashing other hams.  How refreshing... not.

Yes, it's true, the majority of hams don't use CW today.  Some of those who don't passed 20 WPM code tests to get their Extra class licenses.  Mode of choice is just that, a choice.  That doesn't make phone ops or digital ops lids.  That just means their choice is different than yours.  

Oh, and yes, when you take up the entire subband for someone else's mode and operating style of choice they complain.  What would you do if there was no space to contest?  A little mutual consideration goes a long way, don't you think?

The BPL people must love threads like this.  Hams bicker among themselves and 99.5% don't ever write comments to the FCC NPRM or reply comments to the outrageous claims by power companies (i.e.: Progress Energy) or the NTIA (BPL will reduce power line noise, right!).

If we don't pull together in our relatively limited numbers we will see no contesting on HF and no bickering about contesting on HF.  We'll have BPL from 1.7 to 80 MHz.  That will solve the problem, won't it?

GROW UP!!!!

Caity
K7VO/4
K4KOR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:10:42 PM »

I know a lot of hams who got out of the hobby due to contesting. They only had the weekends to operate. With a RTTY or CW contest every weekend they couldn't operate so they left.
Ham radio is dying anyway. You can't get kids into it. They can do the same things on computer without all the QRM from contests.
Someone in this thread said most hams don't operate CW anyway. The figures show over fifty percent do. Just listen next time there's a cw contest. There's so many cw ops it sounds like a beehive.  
The contesters better get a grip on it or there will be no ham radio to contest on.
Let the ARRL know you're sick of the needless and mindless contests. Tell them you won't buy their magazine or join their organization. Hit em where it hurts. In the wallet.
Your emails won't be answered but they heard you just the same.
K1ZF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 06:51:15 PM »

The only reason to operate ham radio, IS the CW contests, or work the DX pileups on CW. The rest is just meaningless drivel. Contesting, or serious Dxing takes skill and engineering know how to be successful. Yup, ham radio is dieing. But I’m going to go out sending CQ contest! on my bug!

Gene, K1ZF
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 06:25:01 AM »

KI4DTV wrote:
<< ...a RTTY or CW contest every weekend they couldn't operate so they left.
>>

I wonder where you get your facts.  There aren't enough contests to do this, certainly not enough that generate the kind of activity that would bother anyone. Maybe 4 weekends a year there's a CW contest that crowd the bands, and another 4 w/e for phone - less than 10% of the time for a given mode.

<< Ham radio is dying anyway... The contesters better get a grip on it or there will be no ham radio to contest on.
>>

Wow, what a bunch of ill-logic.  Which is it?  Ham radio is dying, yet you assert that somehow Contesting manages to make the bands crowded.  So is it dying or is there not enough room for all the operators?

I think contesting is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stagnant hobby.  Contesting (based on number of QSOs and logs, scores, etc) seems a quite vibrant aspect of ham radio while so much else is becoming stagnant.

Mike N2MG
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 12:35:26 PM »

Contests were created for a reason, and that reason was to STIMULATE on-the-air activity!  You guys have a problem with activity?  Yeah, ban all contests, that would eliminate activity on the band so you could get on for 5 mins all weekend and have your favorite frequency clear.. maybe..
Eliminate DX'ing too.. more activity ceased.   You work for BPL or something?  We need as much activity as we can get.. quit complaining about having nothing to complain about!  Get on the air!   All this coming from a 20 WPM Extra, who still uses CW after passing the exam in 1982.  I also love RTTY and other digital modes.. not much into SSB though.  Hey, I'm not a contester either.. go figure!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 07:30:37 AM »

"Contests were created for a reason, and that reason was to STIMULATE on-the-air activity!"

How true, how true.  But consider, there are those operators that take it to the extreme--not that there is anything wrong with that--but there is that fact.

Also, there may be 6 to 8 major contests a year, but if you watch the announcements, the rest of the time there are on-the-air jamborees, QSO parties, area-wide contests, this event, that event, etc. etc. etc.......

I believe someone posted a small study on this during the past year and summarized by saying there were only three or four weekends a year where there weren't some sort of contest or event going on.

Hey, I'm not pro or con on this subject, (not yet, anyway) but there is some truth to the arguments both sides use.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »

"only three or four weekends a year where there weren't some sort of contest or event going on. "

Maybe fewer...however, the vast majority of these do not impact the bands much at all.  So they should not really enter the debate.

Comparing the band crowding caused by events like most QSO parties and Straight Key Night with the crowding caused by CQWW is like comparing the crowding of the roads due to high school football games vs the road crowding due to NFL games.

Mike N2MG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: