Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Issues... (not really ham related)  (Read 1559 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

Hey all I have developed a strange USB issue and would like to hear some possible causes / fixes.

The issue is that game controllers act erratically. I have tried two different game pads and a joy stick and they all exhibit the same quirky behaviour. The systems lists them as 'okay' and they do report but the axis will not stay centered. The y axis is centered at the start of testing but once moved 'recenters' to the left of center.

Also my joystick acts 'noisy' and is very jumpy and non linear. Similar with analog gamepad inputs.

I tried different ports and even took the hub out of the loop. Other devices (keyboard, mouse) work fine.

I looked at the list of usb devices and their drivers and there is like a dozen of them in there  Huh

Oh its Windows XP
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 07:08:42 AM »

Solved..

Evidently it was just a dirty connector as I unplugged everything then plugged everything back in and now it works  Huh

Sometimes its the simple things.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »

I doubt it was a dirty connector. I have little doubt that had you gone into "Task Manager" you would have found that you had resource issues (something was taking a lot of CPU cycle) and this will result in what you say unless you have a multi core machine with a lot of ram.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K4JPN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:08:13 AM »

I had this problem with my HP Scanner being intermittent on my HP Vista computer, it was not the cables.  I talked with my son who is a Network Engineer and said he had often run into this problem.  He suspected I was not getting enough power, because of the other stuff plugged into USB ports.  He recommend using a powered USB multiport, it cured the problem and no further problems.  I have since used the powered USB multiport, for my digital camera and not had any further problems. 
73, Steve K4JPN
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

I had this problem with my HP Scanner being intermittent on my HP Vista computer, it was not the cables.  I talked with my son who is a Network Engineer and said he had often run into this problem.  He suspected I was not getting enough power, because of the other stuff plugged into USB ports.  He recommend using a powered USB multiport, it cured the problem and no further problems.  I have since used the powered USB multiport, for my digital camera and not had any further problems. 
73, Steve K4JPN

A scanner would draw a lot of power from USB port if it is soul power source. By design a USB2 port can provide up to 500ma at 5 volts. Some power hungry USB devices get around this by using a cable that gets power from two ports but only uses one for data. 

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »

Some background on the system.

I do have a 'powered' USB hub with a separate power supply. I also tried with only one device plugged in at a time (excluding keyboard/mouse) and it exhibited the same behaviour.

The CPU is a 3.16Mhz dual core (Wolfdale) with 8 Gigs of 'crucial' ram.

As I said I unplugged all and plugged all back in and the jumpiness went away. However the gamepad's analog joystics will not stay centered. This happens with two different controllers I have tried. When looking at the device manager the sticks appear to be centered but once they are moved they no longer center. I suspected the controller itself that's why I bought a new one only to find the same behaviour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: