The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning the tuner  (Read 1248 times)
KB1IIX

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »

Some time ago I had an elmer help me with a procedure I call "tuning the tuner". We used my MFJ antenna analyzer as a signal source and created a chart that showed frequency, Inductance, Transmitter and Antenna. These last three were the labels on the tuner. I ended up with settings that were very good starting points for using the tuner. I used frequencies that were mid-band. I'm using a Ameritron ATR-30 tuner.

I've now got different antennas and need to do this procedure again. It was extremely helpful in the past. My elmer is no longer available and I am at a loss as to the procedure we used to create this chart.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bruce
KB1IIX@arrl.net
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »

I'm sure it was simply a matter of connecting the SWR analyzer to the transmitter port on the tuner
and adjusting the knobs for best SWR on each band.

If you have an SWR meter (either built into your rig or remote) you can do exactly the same thing by
transmitting at low power on each band and adjusting the tuner for minimum SWR, then recording
the settings.

(I use little arrowhead-shaped pieces of sticky notes to mark the settings on my tuner, with the band
number written on each.  That way my crib sheet doesn't get lost on my desk.)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Some time ago I had an elmer help me with a procedure I call "tuning the tuner". We used my MFJ antenna analyzer as a signal source and created a chart that showed frequency, Inductance, Transmitter and Antenna. These last three were the labels on the tuner. I ended up with settings that were very good starting points for using the tuner. I used frequencies that were mid-band. I'm using a Ameritron ATR-30 tuner.

I've now got different antennas and need to do this procedure again. It was extremely helpful in the past. My elmer is no longer available and I am at a loss as to the procedure we used to create this chart.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bruce
KB1IIX@arrl.net

Hi Bruce

An easy way to do what  you need to do is this.

Connect your antennas to the tuner.

Go to the band that the antenna is designed for.

Peak the signal of any noise present on the band by adjusting the controls on your tuner.

You should be pretty close to a match with the tuner.

Finally key the radio down with a small amount of AM carrier to adjust the final tuning of the tuner. Of course make sure the frequency is not in use  Smiley

Once you do that and have the SWR to where you want it you can write down the tuner settings along with the frequency.

When I used a manual tuner with an all band doublet I could change bands, adjust the tuner according to the numbers on the chart I made. When I applied some power to check the SWR I was always very very close to the proper tuner settings. I might have had to tweak the tuner slightly but not very much.

Hope that helps.
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »

An MFJ 259B makes this a whole lot easier. If you can borrow one so much the better ;but, It is one of the most useful pieces of test equipment in the shack.
Rob WA9UAA
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 04:51:10 AM »

Since you have an analyzer, just disconnect the coax from the radio and connect it to the analyzer.  Then adjust the tuner for a 50 ohm match at the analyzer (for each band of interest) and mark down the settings.  Re-connect coax to radio.  Minor re-adjustments may be made, if needed.
73s.

-Mike.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 06:57:18 AM »

Boy what happened to the good old 'tune for the most noise'  Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 10:26:55 PM »

Boy what happened to the good old 'tune for the most noise'  Grin

See reply #2.

Pat K7KBN