The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solarcon A-99 for 6 meters ?  (Read 6849 times)
SWMAN

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »

Hi,
Does anyone know if the Solarcon A-99 antenna will tune up on 6 meters with just the radio tuner not using an external tuner. I use a TS-570. I am thinking to purchase a 6 meter radio soon and hoped that the A-99 would work on 6 also.
 Thanks,73 and Merry Christmas. Jim KF5HRN
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:51:17 AM »

I am not familiar with the A-99 antenna you are using, but if there is enough L and C in a given "tuner", I can adjust ANY antenna to show a good SWR on ANY frequency.  For example, with the right "tuner" I can use a paper clip for an antenna and adjust the "tuner" to give a 1:1 SWR at the rig on all HAM bands from 160 meters through UHF.  

In your case I am sure some combination of tuner(s) will be able to be adjusted to show a decent SWR to your rig, but the question still remains, how well will the A-99 antenna radiate a signal on six meters?  There is a whole lot more going on in antennas beside SWR.

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:52:57 AM by DICK WHETSTONE » Logged
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 06:05:49 AM »

STOP.
Your A-99 will not work for 6 meters... the radiation pattern will be vertically polarized and radiate straight up!
All is not lost, though.  for 6 meter FM, a simple set of "rabbit ears" can be set up.  Or a wire dipole can be taped to the wall.  Antennas for 6 are easy to make!
Just remember vertical polarization for FM and horizontal for CW/SSB modes.
73s.

-Mike.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »

Hi,
Even though the polorazition will not correct, do you think that it will tune up on my 570. It will tune a 3 to 1 SWR easily.
 Thanks Jim KF5HRN
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »

If you connect the A-99 to your radio using 50' of RG-58 coax you should be able to match it.

When your coax has enough loss you can get a match even with no antenna connected on the other end.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:54:10 AM »

Jim - just try it and see if it "works".

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »

That 'A99' is an end fed 1/2 wave on 11 meters (close enough anyway).  It has an impedance matching thingy at the bottom, the 'rings'.  I'm willing to bet that there's some combination of those 'ring' adjustments, and shortening of the over all length (by about half) that will give you a usable 1/2 wave 6 meter antenna.  If it's the older 'two-piece' antenna, just take the top half off (maybe).  Or just leave it alone, making it a full wave 6 meter antenna, and see if the 570's tuner will handle it?
How well will it work?  Good question, too many 'variables' so won't make a guess about it.  It ought to be -usable- though.  Radiation patterns are length dependent to a very large extent, and an antenna's environment certainly can make a huge difference.  'Nuther one'a them, "I ain't guessing about that" thingys.  Those 'straight up' and 'flat' radiation patterns are both exaggerations, and signals arrive at an antenna from every 'angle' imaginable.  'Momma Nature's propagation determines that part to a great extent.  Best way is to try it and see.
Paul
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »

Thank you for the replys. I can't really try it because I don't have a 6 meter rig yet. I was just asking for when I get one. I was hoping that the A-99 would work. I cannot trim in for 6 either as it is my only antenna for 10 and for 15 when I upgrade to General soon. I was hoping to have it work for 15,12,10 and 6 just by itself. Thanks and 73 Jim KF5HRN
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »

take a piece of coax  with a connector on 1 end. on the other end strip back the black covering about 54 inches.  Work a small hole in the braid and wiggle the center conductor free of the  shield.  Now thumb tack one end of the center condyctor on a wall.  Tack the end of the shield on the wall  in the opposite direction. so it looks like a T with the coax habging down in the center.  you just made a 6 meter dipole. ( you may need to put in a couple extra tacks to hold the weight.  )  it takes longer to read how than it takes to build a dipole for 6 m.  this works for any band but it is a bit hadr to "pull" the center on the larger antenna, so just use most any wire ast the dipole and solder the 2 middle ends to the coax, on side to center, one to the shield.

2m = 19 1/2 inches
220 mhz = 12.5 inches
440 mhz = 6 1/4 inches.

54 inches on each side for a 6 m dipole

by N3JBH on October 12, 2006
  FAN DIPOLE OR MULTIPLE BAND DIPOLE SPECS:
(Each leg is shown in length so you will need two legs.)

10 METERS = 8'4"
12 METERS = 9'5"
15 METERS = 11'1"
17 METERS = 12'10"
20 METERS = 16'8"
30 METERS = 23'2"
40 METERS = 32'9"
60 METERS = 43'7"
75 METERS = 60'9"
80 METERS = 65'6"
160 METERS = 123'5"
137 KHZ = 1708'1"
KC5AKB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »

Hi If you would like to talk about 6 meters drop me a e-mail kc5akb @ arrl.net and put 6meters in the subject line . I will be glad to give you a call do you want to work fm or ssb?
Ric kc5akb 817   298    7937       
I am out of my service  area a lot late nights is best or 5am t-th
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:33:31 AM »

Just because it tunes and has a good swr doesn't mean that it will work worth a flip on 6 meters. Just buy or build a 6 meter antenna and be done with it. The A99 will also tune up on 20 meters but it don't work worth a hoot there. Been there tried that. It might work some but not too well. For example, I have known people that did use an A99 on 20 meters and it worked a little, not well. They had never had a true 20 meter antenna to compare it to and thought they were going good but when they did eventually do a comparison they were amazed at what a difference it made when using an antenna cut for 20 meters. I would guess that using it on 6 meters would give a similar outcome. Unless your working repeaters most antennas are polarized horizontal on 6 meters. Good luck.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

It is very likely that you can make a couple contacts on 6m on a wide open band with an A99 and autotuner provided the 570 will find a match.  But a simple 6m dipole or ground plane made of hardware store aluminum will totally kick the A99's butt. 

When there's a strong band opening, you will probably will make twenty  times as many contacts with a dedicated 6m antenna that's well matched to the coax.  When there's a weak opening, you will probably be able to work stuff on a dipole or groundplane that is totally inaudible on the A99.  In other words, you will actually get more band openings with an antenna designed to work on 6m.

And with a horizontal  dipole You can work locals. Polarization mismatch is really serious.

Others have made this point well  and I want to add my experience too.  Every wire or tubing thing you put up will make contacts and   get you some good signal reports, even if it is an awful radiator. 

But you never know what you're missing until you try a better antenna, and you can miss a lot. 

A lot of people will insist that all you need on six is a wet noodle.  But if you find out what your neighbors are running and what they can work, you start to see the truth: better antennas peel back buried layers of weak stations.  It's true going from the A99 to a dipole and from the dipole to a few element beam, and so forth.  I miss stuff with two elements at 25 feet that neighbors easily hear on five elements at 40 feet.   The two element Moxon I built totally spanked a random wire I was running at an apartment, and i didnt even have lossy mismatched coax between the tuner and wire!  Use the A99 if your tuner will handle it, but just be aware that it is very likely to be positively awful compared to a twenty dollar homebrew rotatable dipole.   A dipole is a balance of convenience, cost, and performance.  The A99 gives up a huge amount of performance for a little less total cost and a little more convenience. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: