Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kid's Day Contest: 1800Z-2359Z January 2nd 2011  (Read 1924 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »

Kid's Day Contest: Jan. 2nd 1800Z-2359Z
#, Jan 2 I'm calling on every one starting 2011 to please encourage participation from as many kids possible in this years A.R.R.L. event. I have made progress with one kid age 12 and looking to increase that number.

It's only twice in the year so making these only two events are critical in peaking the interest in all kids that participate. The more intense and exciting we make it the better. Plus! Let's make these only two contests as warm, pleasant and welcoming as possible.

I would like also for all operators from around the world to spread the word in each QSO. Just make it brief if you like, but would like for these kids to experience cultures from as many other kids they normally would not encounter in every day life.

Let's make this happen and so unforgettable for kids so that one ,or two kids can spread the word to many others. This may be that stepping stone for the kids participating to find a hobby they never knew existed and to find other qualities of this hobby they may decide they like to persure further interest in.

73' and thanks!

Kids Day: Jan 2 2011 / 18:00z to 23:59
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:27:52 PM by eric j cuevas » Logged
KD0MEQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »

I'm a new ham and I have gotten my nephew interested in taking the Technician test...bought him a receiver/study guide.

If I understand the regs correctly, he can operate my rig if I am there with him, on the freq/modes I am allowed to operate on. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Mike
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »

Mike,

That is correct! You are the control operator and owner of your station which allows your nephew, or anyone else you allow to operate under your supervision under your license privilages.

All you need to do is get them comfortable socializing and what the exchange will be. Below is part of what you what them to say:

Suggested Exchange-
Name, age, location and favorite color. Be sure to work the same station again if an operator has changed. To draw attention, call “CQ Kids Day.”

A short QSO with some operators is cool especially other young operators. Unlike other ARRL contest this one is not a numbers contest, but after the contest there will be a forum where kids will be able to share their experience and their amount of contacts. This is where the kids get curious in their competitive nature.

Should be fun and interesting!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:16:53 PM by eric j cuevas » Logged
N0DSN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:54:24 PM »

Great Post N2RRA!
We will be participating in 2011 Kids Day again. Second year in a row. Trying to start a little tradition and also encourage my two kids, Hannah 8 and Jacob 6, the joy and pleasure of being a amateur radio operator. They find it "cool" to be able to talk on the radio like dad. Not to mention the enjoyment I get by being able to hopefully spike the interest in a life long hobby. Last year was our first year of many and they actually received a QSL card of their own. From North Dakota non the less. Thanks KB0SNE! I will do my part to pass the word and keep the interest going. Thank you for the same!
N0DSN
Dustin
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »

Dusten,

Your Welcome and will be my pleasure to work your kids station soon enough. The scarce activity from young people is not due to their failure of interest in Amateur Radio, but the failure amongst ourself as teachers not passing on the education to them in which this hobby may bring. Sure they are to find their own interest, but with out the proper guidance and exposure how are they to know.

This is a time that will allow us to offer the today technologies incorporated with Ham Radio and it's up to us to offer an exciting world to them of old and knew. How some of today's technologies Is nothing new, but just has a bit of a face lift.

I hope on these only two days of the year older Hams remember when they first operated as hams and looked for that QSO experience. May they not disappoint on these days by boosting moral, exceptance and encouragement to our youths to come back again and join.

Till then 73' and good luck!

G3LBS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »

Well the band conditions were great for it right towards the close. Gil W2/G3LBS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: