Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any FSK device that also has a sound card?  (Read 3904 times)
VE3VID

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »

Is there a digital mode interface which does both real FSK and has a sound card for other digital modes.

I've been having a blast in the last 18 months working PSK31 and RTTY with a SignaLink USB into my Kenwood TS-450s.  I would like to run my rig in "real" FSK mode.

Is there 1 device which does both?   Thanks..........

David
G0BYH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »

Have a look at the Microham DigiKeyer, have been using one for the last two years, great device.

http://www.microham.com/index1.html

Rgds Geoff - G0BYH
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »

Thanks Geoff......I was looking at the DigiKeyer, but the documents are confusing.  Is your DK running your rig in FSK mode?

The DigiKeyer looks like it might be the right choice, but I am concerned about its description when you look at the product comparison page: http://www.microham.com/index1.html

FSK support - I may be dumb, "support"?,  so it does real FSK or not

PFSK - pseudo FSK

I'm worried I might buy another AFSK device without knowing it.
David
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »

David - the DigiKeyer does true FSK....I have been using one for several years now, first with my TS-940S keying the "RTTY" port and now my IC-7600 in the RTTY mode.  Works great!

Dino KL0S
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »

Why the interest in "real" FSK? The receiving end can't tell real FSK from AFSK, so why go to the trouble?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:51:09 PM »

Why the interest in "real" FSK? The receiving end can't tell real FSK from AFSK, so why go to the trouble?

Because many transceivers have filters optimized for RTTY reception that are only available when the transceiver is operating FSK. Icom's "Twin Peak Filter" is one example. If you have a transceiver with a RTTY-optimized RX filter, it's helpful to use it!

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:55:35 PM by Dave Bernstein » Logged
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »

Excellent.  This is really great news about true FSK........thanks so much for the info guys.

Exactly right about the IF filters. I have 2 INRAD 400hz filters in the 450s.  To use them properly the rig needs to be in FSK mode to get the IF passband sitting on top of the frequency the transceiver is listening to.  The IF shift on the rig helps only partially, and it is a work-around type solution only.

MicroKeyer it shall be then.  Thanks again & cheers!!!

David
W0ZS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »

Don't forget US Navigator.  It has a built in sound card and does true fsk as well as all the other digital stuff.  You can find one relatively inexpensvely used.  You may need to spend $50 for a cable to match up to your rig.
73!
Terry, W0ZS
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »

It takes a very simple single transistor keying circuit from a serial port (or USB to Serial Converter) output to generate true FSK keying for the transceiver. You can still use the Signalink for the receive signal.

You should be able to find plenty of FSK keying circuits on the Internet. Easy to build one.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

You should be able to find plenty of FSK keying circuits on the Internet. Easy to build one.

Agreed. See http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »

Also agreed, when I made an optoisolated PTT interface, I just used another 4N25 optoisolator off the TXD (transmit data) line to give FSK keying if I ever needed it.
I never did, but its there if you need it.

Here is the circuit.

4N25
TXD---1K0--|>|---Pin1         Pin5 --- + Keying line (low current only)

GND---------------Pin2         Pin4 --- FSK key line ground return

This will give you a completely isolated FSK keying line between the PC and the Rig.
The keying line in the 4N25 optoisolator can only sink a few milliamps, but this is enough for
keying the cw line in most rigs, so I assume likewise with the FSK line.
Check your rigs requirements.
If needed, you can always use pin5 and 4 with another circuit to increase the current capacity.
I sometimes put a diode reverse biased across pins 1 and 2, just to give some added protection
to the 4N25 emitter diode, as it has a very low PIV (peak inverse voltage).
The series diode from TXD in my units is always an LED, so that I can see its operation.
This drops a few volts, but does not make any difference to the 4N25, and is a handy diagnostic aid,
like an RS232 breakout box.
By the way, the same circuit can be used with the RTS and DSR lines to key the PTT and CW keying
in many modern rigs.
I have used this interface with standard serial ports and USB to serial dongles with the same results,
and have even built a few of these into the backshell of a DB9 connector (without SMD components), so it forms
a very compact unit, and is self powered.

Good luck and 73s
AB8AL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »

The Rigblasters do true FSK and work great with the Icom twin PB filters.
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

The Rigblaster PNP that I have does NOT do true FSK.
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

I had a Rigblaster Plus that had true FSK keying, but like a previous poster mentioned, you can take 2 NPN transistors and  2 1K ohm resistors and put them in a DB9 serial connector hood for PTT and FSK keying for only a couple of dollars. This is probably a similar circuit that all the commercial offerings use.

As far as AFSK and FSK, there are other things to consider like most rigs won't use narrow cw filters in the LSB position and they will use them in the FSK position, 250hz is optimum for FSK.

Bill K4FX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: