Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU FT 8900R - BACKLIGHT COLOR  (Read 2289 times)
KF5IUF

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »

Does anybody have experience in changing the backlight color on a Ft 8900R?  Several sources tell me that it can be done, but the documents have let me down so far.

Thanks,  73s 

Jim
KF5IUF
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »

I don't think you can. There is a Yaesu Group on Yahoo, and perhaps you could read through the various files there.

I know you can change the brightness, and as I recall 4 different levels, but the display color remains.

By the way, I don't like the color either!

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:37 PM »

Jim,
I investigated changing the backlight color on my Ft-8800, which is basically the same chassis as your FT-8900, minus 6m and 10m.  I got as far as disassembling the front panel to reveal the LCD display unit.  When I saw how tiny the bits inside were, I chickened out and decided that a better way to alter the color was to use a tinted lens rather than actually replacing the backlight.  I experimented with several different colors of plastic film (found at hobby stores) on front of the clear plastic lens until I found one that gave me a greenish-blue that matched the interior instrument lights of my vehicle.  It took some trial and error to get the amber backlight to morph to a color of my liking.  When I found the final color I wanted, I removed the clear lens, and installed the film on the backside, between the LCD and the plastic for a "permanent" installation.  If you ever decide on a different color or want to go back to stock, this is totally reversible with minimal difficulty.

N5VTU
KF5IUF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:04 PM »

Well,  I thank you the info & suggestions fellows.  I guess that I will have to refer back to that age old solution the has brung me this far; "GET OVER IT"!

Again, 73s to all.

Jim
KF5IUF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: